Two bomb blasts during the Boston Marathon

Not after today.
This is Fox News. They don't fire their talking heads for making such comments. That is what reputable news organizations do.

https://twitter.com/thejamesedwards

Tufts - 9 patients hurt from attack, none critical, 8 more patients w/ marathon-related injuries
Boston Medical Center - 20 patients total, 2 children, most have lower leg injuries
Mass. Gen. - 22 patients total, 6 critical, 5 serious
Brigham & Women - 26 patients total, 2 critical, 8-10 serious
Bethg Israel - 21 patients total, 18 major, 3 minor, 7 life-threatening

That's 98 wounded, if I added that together in my head correctly. CNN is reporting over 132 injured, not sure where that number comes from.

Some people will have just been treated at the scene.

Tufts - 9 patients hurt from attack, none critical, 8 more patients w/ marathon-related injuries

Honest to God not meaning any disrespect or anything, but I really thought Tufts was a famous animal hospital.

I don't remember which network it was. I was channel surfing. Either ABC, NBC, or CBS reported it.

Could it be that the authorities have the ability to disable particular cell phone towers without informing the various carriers?

I don't doubt they have that ability, you can order jammers online pretty trivially.

So one of my law buddies is incommunicado for the past 8 hours. I've called, texted and left FB posts. His last status update was some 8 hours ago about being at the marathon.
Sooooo

I hope your friend is okay, Ace. Let us know how it goes.

Honest to God not meaning any disrespect or anything, but I really thought Tufts was a famous animal hospital.

It is, but on the Worcester campus. The Boston Tufts is a slightly less than famous regular people hospital.

https://twitter.com/thejamesedwards

Boston Medical Center - 20 patients total, 2 children, most have lower leg injuries
Mass. Gen. - 22 patients total, 6 critical, 5 serious
Brigham & Women - 26 patients total, 2 critical, 8-10 serious
Bethg Israel - 21 patients total, 18 major, 3 minor, 7 life-threatening

Thank you for the update. MGH and Brigham & Women's are two of the best hospitals in the nation, so the injured are in the best possible hands.

@VR: Tufts Medical Center is one of the closest to the actual explosions.

I don't doubt they have that ability, you can order jammers online pretty trivially.

They are illegal in the US but I guess they are still easy to get online.

@ace99 - Let us know if you hear from your friend.

Speaking of doctors, ABC News had an incredible interview leading off their nightly news tonight.

They had a doctor who was standing feet away from the first blast, so you could tell from the hype that they were expecting him to tell all about how he heroically saved everybody immediately afterwards.

Instead, he started the interview by saying that when the first bomb went off he ran in the opposite direction towards the second bomb. Then the other bomb blast went off so he ran back to where the first victims were!

So you can tell that Dianne Sawyer doesn't exactly know what to say next. She was expecting him to tell her all about how his years of professional training immediately kicked in, not to mention I'm sure that other people on the staff had interviewed him first. So there was this pregnant pause as she tried to coach him to tell how he had saved all these people instead of just being in fear of his own life.

Eventually, he got the idea and told us about how he applied pressure and used tourniquets on some of the leg wounds. Dianne ended the interview very quickly.

Hey, life isn't a movie. It's nice when someone is willing/able to be a hero, but it's hard to judge someone too harshly for running from an explosion.

Oh, I completely agree. I don't blame him one bit for being quite human under those circumstances.

But there was clearly a huge disconnect from what Dianne Sawyer was expecting him to say and what he actually did say. About what his role actually was versus what it was perceived to have been.

I have found that many doctors are quite reluctant to even get involved in emergency situations. They would much prefer the emergency responders deal with it all. They risk even being sued for malpractice quite often.

meh i guess its more example of media trying to sell a story rather than reporting the truth. coaching someone to tell a story you wanna give to the public for crying out loud thats whats disturbing. i gotta agree doctor acting human isnt disturbing at all.

How "hurt" is hurt? I was hearing that some of the survivors were down appendages :undecide:

How "hurt" is hurt? I was hearing that some of the survivors were down appendages :undecide:

It's hard to say, since folks are spread out over multiple hospitals. I have heard that officials expect the death count to rise, and yes, multiple people have lost their limbs

Saw a picture of a guy in a wheelchair with a bloody stump and a bone clearly protruding.

Top Bottom