Two Civ5 Modpacks: Queen of the Iceni, Legions

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
Kael, creator of the most popular Civ4 modpack Fall from Heaven, has released the first two modpacks for Civilization V today.

The first mod, Queen of the Iceni, adds the following features to Civilization V:
  • The Celt Civilization.
  • Boudica, leader of the Celts.
  • Battle Fury, Boudica's trait, all Gun, Melee and Mounted units get 2 attacks per round.
  • Gaellic Warrior, Celtic unique unit that replaces the warrior and ignores terrain costs when moving.
  • Sons of Morrigan, Celtic unique unit that heals whenever it kills an enemy unit.
  • Single unit formations made up of larger, easier to see units.
  • Ability to disable unit buttons (toggle on the minimap menu).
  • Added the Mod List screen to the Additional Information menu (shows loaded mods).

The second mod, Legions, makes the following changes to Civilization V:
  • Removes the 1UPT (one unit per tile) limit.
  • Legions mod is completely modular and can be run concurrently with other mods.
  • Attack I promotion- +15% when attacking.
  • Attack II promotion- +15% when attacking.
  • Attack III promotion- +15% when attacking.
  • City Defense promotion- +25% when defending a city.
  • Defense I promotion- +15% when defending.
  • Defense II promotion- +15% when defending.
  • Defense III promotion- +15% when defending.
  • Shock promotions now give a standard +10% to combat instead of +20% on open terrain.
  • Unit maintenance is reduced by 25%.
  • Units in cities no longer get additional hit points, to adjust for the ability to stack defenders in cities.
This mod doesn't add any new UI to help manage the ability to stack units. So unit's still need to be moved individually, and there is no easy way to look at the statistics of stacked units.

Both mods are available for download from the in-game mod browser. Check them out! :cool:

the second mod utterly defeats the point of civilization 5.

Battle Fury, Boudica's trait, all Gun, Melee and Mounted units get 2 attacks per round.
It's a nice idea for a warmonger civ, but it seems kinda to powerful because it effects to many units. I would rather give them this ability by an update that is faster to achieve as for other civs or combine it with a big defense penalty.

Very nice... new Civs already and the stupid one unit per tile gone? Maybe the modders can save Civ V after all :)

the second mod utterly defeats the point of civilization 5.

Pretty much.

Some people refuse to accept change, however. I think it's perfectly fair for a mod to let them play Civ5 without updating to the new tactics or play style. The rest of us can play the game without that feature, and they can go off and play their version of Civ5 with that feature. It's a win/win, as long as both sides don't go out of the way to antagonize each other.

And before everyone tries to crucify Kael...

Yeap, thats the beauty of modding. We can do things that appeal to different people. I love one unit per tile, I think it was a brilliant design decision. But a friend requested a mod with 1upt disabled so I made it.

The nice thing about modularity is that it works together with other mods. I always play Queen of Iceni, but sometimes I play with Legions enabled, and sometimes I dont. Just depends on my preference.

But I don't expect it to be everyones preference, pick what you like.

A cynical part of me feels that the intent of the Legions mod is to give the "stupid one unit per tile" crowd what they want: Stacking units in all it's glory. Who cares if it screws up balance for now. Someone might be able to tweak the game and make it all work :lol:

I honestly feel if they could have easily removed all the hexes and revert back to a grid, they'd have modded that too.

The main aim for both these mods imo, is Fireaxis's response to "How moddable is civ5" in a 'show not tell' format. At the same time, these two mods demonstrate the in game browser's promise they'd been touting that last few months.

Cheers!
-Liq

I agree with the fact that it makes Civ5 more like Civ4 with not much feedback from several thousands of games played accross the board.

And does the AI know how to handle more units per tile?

I venerate Kael and his team for his magnificent mod Fall from Heaven.

But, this ?

Come one, it must be the wrong person.

Both mods are a pile of bad and/or OP ideas.

I do hope, as said before, it's just a trick to make old people happy, and that it will allow Kael to work on something great, something that benefits from Civilization V, instead of destroying it entirely.

I venerate Kael and his team for his magnificent mod Fall from Heaven.

But, this ?

Come one, it must be the wrong person.

Both mods are a pile of bad and/or OP ideas.

I do hope, as said before, it's just a trick to make old people happy, and that it will allow Kael to work on something great, something that benefits from Civilization V, instead of destroying it entirely.

well.. rather destroy civ v, after they destroyed nearly everything civ iv had, na?

And now plz quit the whining, and let everybody be happy to play how they like the game... :rolleyes:

Finally! Now I can stack units again. Good thing, too, because having to think and strategize was really wasting my time.

I think Legions is a proof of concept more than anything else, really.

Mods are cool. I don't have to play them if I don't want to. And I don't want to play either of these. The Celts UA is pretty overpowered. The second mod is, well, there's something for everybody I guess...

Top Bottom