1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Two Civ5 Modpacks: Queen of the Iceni, Legions

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by Thunderfall, Sep 21, 2010.

1. jacyp

jacyp Winter Lover

The first post can be rewritten as follow:

The first mod, Queen of the Iceni, adds the following features to Civilization V:
    * An overpowered Civ where almost every unit virtually start with Blitz, a promotion that you normaly need to expend 60 xp on the Shock or Drill tree to get.

The second mod, Legions, makes the following changes to Civilization V:
    * Completely breaks the game.

Have fun!

2. wilebill

wilebill Warlord

Ho ho ho! Ha ha ha!

Kael, you the man! Thanks!

3. MrManNo1

MrManNo1 Chieftain

For all the complainers:

Battle Fury is only useful if you have a unit that would win with overwhelming odds. Since the defending unit can usually have such a large advantage (fortification, terrain bonuses, etc.), it's really not that overpowered. I'd say that one might find it to be useless in a lot of situations.

4. wilebill

wilebill Warlord

Oops. The mods will not download. Gives me a mouse over message in red:

"The server does not support the necessary HTTP protocol. Background Intelligent Transfer Service BITS requires that the server support the range protocol header."

5. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

That problem is know, but not the solution yet.
    Do you have a firewall running? It might need an exception to allow the download of mods.

6. Cromagnum P.I.

Cromagnum P.I. Chieftain

I'm not interested in playing Legions at all so I'll only say that about it but the Celtic civ pack is way overpowered.
    I would recommend limiting the double attack to melee line, so they only get the benefit until the more modern era's. Also what unit does sons of Morrigan replace? Spearman?
    The warrior ignoring rough terrain idea is pretty neat. I can't count the amount of times I'd wished I had a promotion that did that for a melee or range unit.

7. wilebill

wilebill Warlord

Windows Firewall, Vista. Checked Exceptions and Civilization V was already there. But Steam was not. Added Steam.

Still same error message as in above post.

8. Tridus

Tridus Warlord

Overpoweredness is something that can be fixed, and really should be tested before saying it's true anyway. Theorycrafting doesn't line up with how it actually plays quite often. :)

As for the other one... it's neat that something like that can be disabled, and I'm sure bigger mods in the future will take advantage of it in some cases.

9. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Maybe anything else there what has hit the firewall?

10. fateomcskippy

fateomcskippy Chieftain

And the award for worst mods go to.....

11. logarithm64

logarithm64 Omnipotent Space Lizard

The first mod doesn't give a bonus to ranged units, so it isn't particularly overpowered, especially if units are damaged during the first round of combat. The second mod may defeat the purpose of the new combat system, but it was one of the things that many people requested early on.

12. Selous

Selous King

day1 mod, u are awesome kael

to those that are bashing the mods ... dont put them in your game .... not hard
    good to see how moddable this game is going to be!!

13. fateomcskippy

fateomcskippy Chieftain

look at this guy being wrong on everything

:lol:

14. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

Does the ai understand stacked combat? My guess is a giant NO! I am going to play the standard way first. Why would you want stacking in a game not designed for it?

15. Zurai

Zurai King

Look at this guy not knowing what he's talking about!

And all the complaints about "OMG OVERPOWERED!" on the Celts ability clearly havn't actually played Civ5, or are just kneejerking and havn't thought it through. It doesn't give a second attack to any unit types that have ranged attacks (save for chariot archers). That means, in order to make use of it, you either have to start your turn adjacent to the target, which must be in open terrain (for melee or gun units, which don't have more than 2 moves in the first place) or start quite close (for mounted units). It doesn't grant any additional movement, and it still costs the movement cost of the tile the unit is standing on to attack it. The ability is actually pretty balanced, IMO; it's weaker than Japan's, anyway.

16. Mahatmajon

Mahatmajon Prince

Yup.

And more importantly having military-only, early-game abilities (in the linked thread Kael mentions he'll likely patch this to take away the bonuses for upgraded units and for later/advanced units) isn't very strong in Civ 5.

This isn't Civ 4. You don't rush for forest-chopping, chop out an army, and instantly crush your nearest neighbors. If you do it's likely that your economy will collapse.

At first glance and with only 2/3 of my first game under my belt (but an early-mid military one that taught me a lot about conquering and maintenance) I think that mounted units having this will likely be to strong, but everything else would be awesome. As far as the 2nd mod I'm not particularly interested (though I would be in a 'Attack 1/2/3' that was +10%) but others will be. That's why it's modding and that's why Civ is amazing.

It's ironic to see Kael come out with this mod right away as my first impression of Civ5 is that it is much like playing Fall From Heaven. With non-death battles and plenty of gold for upgrades it's likely that your first warrior will still be around and useful in 500AD and beyond. In my first game at turn 200 I think I have 6 troops -- and they're more than enough to conquer any city-state (2 catapults, 2 companion cavalry, 1 swordsman, 1 phalanx). My cities are completely undefended because there's no risk and apparently no added unhappiness (still checking on this).

More importantly than the heroic troops feeling is that with new +food buildings for cities I feel that the most important tiles are production tiles. Getting food is always possible (granary, watermill (?), others) and money is easy with trading posts and others. Production is boosted early by lumbermills but that doesn't compare to starting out with 3+ hills and hooking them up quickly.

I'm loving Civ 5 and ready for a marathon session(s) this weekend. This mod looks like a perfect first intro -- especially because it's a military civ that seems overpowered/skewed but IMO won't hold up vs. the Japanese and likely other military-focused civs. Thanks Kael!

17. LegioCorvus

LegioCorvus Prince

I think a lot of people are also missing the fact that Kael didn't do this because he felt the game needed Stacks of Doom, but rather a friend asked him if he could make it, so he did.

I do favors for my friends all the time. Really no different.

18. Robert_Marshall

Robert_Marshall Chieftain

I agree. I would rather stick with Civ4 than play these mods, but I am VERY glad that it can be modded in whatever way someone sees fit.

19. BuddhaBubba

BuddhaBubba Aspiring Sage

Yup, just look in the back of the Civ5 manual for a list of all the testers... you'll find quite a few names from these here forums!

20. Dreyfusbuck

Dreyfusbuck Chieftain

can anybody tell me how to increase my gold?