1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Two Different Open Borders Agreements

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Creation & Customization' started by Sanotra, May 17, 2014.

1. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

Hello Everyone,
    Has anyone else noticed the lack of realism when it comes to Open Borders? I don't know if it has ever been common for all countries to generally allow military passage through their lands by neighboring armies. Yet that is how it is in CIV4. Open borders is kind of the general agreement that most all civilizations share and it's good to have to build trust with the AI. The lack of realism bothers me, but furthermore the lack of strategic thinking this feature could provide also bothers me. I propose a split in the open borders feature to allow two different kinds of open borders agreements.

1. Open Borders: Civilian (Workers, Settlers, Missionaries, Scouts, etc.)
    2. Open Borders: Military (Soldiers in general)

A third option also comes to mind.
    3. Open Borders: Naval (All ships allowed to sail in your cultural coasts)
    This third option could be merged with the other two. 1. Civilian, would allow non combat vessels like work boats to pass through, and 2. Military would allow all military vessels to sail through.

I think making Open Borders more versatile would make the game more interesting and open up some new strategic plans. What do you guys think?

2. God-Emperor

God-Emperor Deity

Some mods already have this. They get it via the Advanced Diplomacy mod component (except for RoM:AND, which is where the mod component came from).

This adds a bunch of diplomacy stuff including a progression:
    • Embassy
    • Right of Passage (I think this requires Embassy, allows non-millitary units both land and sea)
    • Open Borders (requires Embassy, supersedes Right of Passage, usual allows all units effect)

3. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

Thanks for your response. Embassies hearken back to Civ3 days am I right? So does RoP if I'm not mistaken. It looks like an extra Open Borders agreement is a simple xml tweak, I'll have a look at the mod component to double check and confirm.

4. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Deity

The Advance Diplomacy component does not differentiate between land and sea units. I think it was the Total War mod that had all four agreements.

5. stolenrays

stolenrays Deity

6. Sanotra

Sanotra Wannabe Modder

Thanks Hoskuld. I think two agreements is probably enough, but additional ones are probably fairly simple to add. Hopefully I don't sing a different tune when I check out the files. I read the Total War mod was fairly unstable?

I'm not very familiar with Civ4. I'm not sure what CCV is? I'm used to playing Colonization and her mods.

I really like a few of the things you've made mod wise stolenrays. I was checking out your signature and I'm probably going to merge a few things into something I'm working on if you don't mind?

7. stolenrays

stolenrays Deity

8. patriachica

patriachica Chieftain

(Heaping on the praise) I'm putting together a mod which changes the mechanics a bit and Puppet States solved a big problem. :goodjob: