Two interest unit property in the Civ3ConquestEdit

woodandearth

Chieftain
When I checked the unit properties with the Editor (menu -> rules -> edit -> units), I found two unit properties the effects of which are hard to understand.

1, Rotate Before Attack (RBA).
Only one land unit has this property -- Radar artillery. All other land units do not have such property. The situation of the sea units is somehow complicated.
Sea units having RBA : curragh, galley, caravel, galleon, friagate, privateer, battleship, nuclear submarine;
Sea units not having RBA : ironcad, transport, carrier, submarine, destroyer, cruiser, AEGIS.
Now you sea that some transporting ships have while some tranporting ships have not such property, and nuclear sub. has while normal sub. has not.

2, Ranged Attack Animation (RAA).
All the sea units have this property. Some land units have while the others have not.
Land units having RAA: Archer, Longbow, Musketman, Rifleman, Guerilla, infantry, Mech. Inf., tank, modern armor, marine, paratroopter, modern para.;
Land units not having RAA: warrior, swordman, medieval inf., spearman, pikeman, TOW inf., chariot, horseman,, ancient cavalry, knight, cavalry, flak, SAM.
It seems that whether having RAA or not does not depend on the offencing or defensing property. Most unit having RAA are using bows or guns. But cavalries and TOW inf. not having RAA are using gun, too.

Do these properties effect on the results of battles?

I just asked these in the general discussion forum. Someone told me to ask it here.

I don't think they have anything to do with game mechanics, and are purely cosmetic. I've never quite understood the rationale of the Rotate one. The Ranged one is simple: normally, an attacking unit runs towards its opponent at the start of the battle, before the attack animations are played. If it has Ranged Attack ticked, it won't do that initial run, and will stay where it is. I think that's it anyway.

Rotate Before Attack moves the unit at a 45 degree angle for land units prior to attacking. But as Plotinus said, it doesn't make any sense, because the animation frames can just be arranged to do exactly the same thing very easily.

Tom

And for sea units the angle of rotation is 90 degrees so that the battling ships' sides are against each other for the arrows or cannons to hit the target ship.

Ranged Attack works when a Unit with Ranged Attack battles another unit with Ranged Attack. The units then are not moved closer before the battle. IF a Ranged Attack Unit Battles a Non Ranged Attack Unit, both are moved closer to each other the same as if both are Non Ranged Attack Units.
I believe the Rotate before Attack is only intended for Ships

Top Bottom