1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Two new DLC packs announced

Discussion in 'News Updates' started by ori, Apr 28, 2011.

1. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

Firaxis and Take2 have announced the release of two new DLC Packs for May 3rd.

Thanks to Snerk for pointing this out

2. hennord

hennord Chieftain

LONG LIVE THE DANES !!!!!

They Rock ! :king:

Henrik
    Denmark

3. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

Denmark and Ski Infantry?

4. Civ'ed

Civ'ed I ain't gotta explain a thing

Exactly. What does Skiing have to do with Denmark? :confused:
    And the Bering strait would probably consist of 30% ice or something like that. Not my ideal game.

5. Lachlan

Lachlan Great Builder of Civs !

For current patch or next ?

i would like for 1.0.1.217 / 1.0.1.221a, for now !

I want danish civ !

6. Lecksa

Lecksa Chieftain

They haven't release those yet, right? I can't find those from steam. Price prediction?

7. ori

ori Repair Guy Super Moderator

8. jjoacim

jjoacim Chieftain

Haha, my god.
    This is so wrong. Denmark?

I really thought Civilization were good at history.

If to have the Vikings, why not make it Sweden, or atleast Norway.

And the Ski infantary? , I do know that Sweden Finland had a "Ski infantary" but I would definaltly not call it a special unit.

No, it should had been Sweden or Scandinavia with Berserk and the Swedish Caroleans.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caroleans

Not cool.

9. Lecksa

Lecksa Chieftain

I think we will not see Sweden or Finland as a nation because there could possibly be then two Stockholm or two Helsinki cities on map. That would be wierd.

10. mlund

mlund Warlord

Very interesting. We have the Danes brought into play to represent Scandinavia. They represent a whole lot more than the borders modern Denmark, including most of populated Sweden and a huge influx of population into Britain - both through direct invasion and colonization in the Danelaw and second-generation invasions from the Norman kingdoms created by original the Danish invasions of the Frankish coasts on the other end of the channel.

I like the idea of broadening the context from "The Vikings" to something that scales better in the earlier and later eras of history. The Danish civilization that (along with the Norwegians) gave us the era of Vikings never died out of got conquered. It just spread out, Christianized, and evolved into various medieval nation-states - some purely Danish and many others hybridized with Franks, Celts, Angles, and Saxons.

The Ski Infantry is a really nice touch. The Dano-Norwegian union's military basically invented the Biathlon, after all, and they were recorded as using such units in European Wars even during the Napoleonic Era.

- Marty Lund

11. Civ'ed

Copenhagen ;)

12. Atwork

Atwork Immortal

ski infantry -- really? :rolleyes: c'mon devs....

13. mlund

mlund Warlord

Yes, really

I mean, why bother having both a Classical / Medieval Era unit and an Industrial/Modern era unit, right? We all love having our UUs bunched up so they go obsolete early or show up too late in the game to be relevant, right - right?

- Marty Lund

14. Snoopaloop

Snoopaloop King

Nope, not paying ~5$ (my assumption) for one civ, and a map I will never use...not paying for 10 single player maps either..

15. Civ'ed

This is the main reason why Bismarck fails so hard ;)

16. mlund

mlund Warlord

And here I just hated him because I never used Pikemen to attack cities normally and I'd keep discovering that I had no oil to build Panzers ... ;P

- Marty Lund

17. veBear

veBear Slumerican Citizen

Denmark + Ski infantry... bad idea. Most of the Ski-Infantry ever used by Denmark was employed in Norway and consisted of Norwegians... bad idea. Might as well change the Capital to Oslo then and name it Norway, cause Denmark and Ski-Infantry is a no-match.

Actually, why couldn't firaxis just have listened to the forums and named them Norse instead? I mean, even Viking or Scandinavians would be better than Danes. If they are supposed to representent the whole Scandinavian peninsuela with a Civ that doesn't even start on it... That's just bulls*it. No, I would even have preferred Sweden over this. No offense to you Danes, but this just don't fit it. If it was a Danish Empire representating the Rennaiscanse Denmark-Norway, then I would understand, but this... nope

18. Ekmek

Ekmek on steam: ekmek_e

wasn't denmark and norway united for most of history?

19. veBear

veBear Slumerican Citizen

During Rennaiscanse, yes. Medieval time and Viking time... they were controlling one another every now and then, but for the most part they were independent. And also, I don't really like to say United. Basically Norway had no rights at all and were basically a province of Denmark that Denmark cared little about.

20. Ekmek

Ekmek on steam: ekmek_e

I guess they should of called it Denmark-Norway?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denmark–Norway

The term Kingdom of Denmark is sometimes used to include both countries in the period 1536–1814, since the political and economic power emanated from Copenhagen, Denmark. The term covers the "royal part" of the Oldenburgs as it was in 1460, excluding the "ducal part" of Schleswig and Holstein. The administration used two official languages, Danish and German, and for several centuries both a Danish and German Chancery existed.[3]

Denmark and Norway parted when the union was dissolved in 1814. Iceland, which legally became a Danish colony in 1814, became an independent country in 1944.