Two Religions in One City

Wodan

Deity
I remember someone asking about this could happen in an old thread, and it just happened to me, and here's how...

The Celts had founded a religion, and were in a losing war against Rome. They had a second GP dorking around their capital's tiles, not doing anything, just moving around. Rome captured the GP and the capital too. Then, Rome moved the captured GP into that city (probably because it was nearest) and established the new religion (which they were allowed to do because they had not founded a religion yet).

[I'm assuming that's what happened because, while I had units right there, "watching," I didn't notice anything else, and the captured GP was there and then it was gone with the founding of the new religion.]

So: two religions founded in that one city. Not that either of them are doing anything... the old religion is fading out and the new one isn't going anywhere because obviously Rome hasn't built any shrines or temples or anything, so isn't getting any faith.

So: two religions in that one city. Not that either of them are doing anything... the old religion is fading out and the new one isn't going anywhere because obviously Rome hasn't built any shrines or temples or anything, so isn't getting any faith.

That's not how religion works, though.

How do you "capture" a GP? They just die when I park my military over them.

At least in G&K Great Prophets were, like missionaries, captured instead of killed (if not killed with a ranged attack).

AFAIK you can and could always capture GPs. It definitely still works. Yesterday in BNW (same game as this example), I just captured an enemy GP. All you have to do is be at war and "attack" it with a land unit. Same way as you capture workers. If you try to move onto it without being at war, the game asks you if you want to DOW.

Great Prophets are captured when you move over them. I can confirm this because I did it like 2 or 3 times against Saudia Arabia over the weekend.

Capturing a Great Prophet isn't useful though (at least I can't think of one). You can use its enhancing effect except it would spread the religion it was made for, and not yours.

I tried gifting a GP to City States but it didn't work since it isn't a combat unit. I just ended up deleting the unit.

Capturing a Great Prophet isn't useful though (at least I can't think of one). You can use its enhancing effect except it would spread the religion it was made for, and not yours.

Build a Holy Site! That can be done as long as the prophet hasn't spread religion yet, as far as I know.

Anytime one of my cities gets converted by pesky AI, I look at that religion's benefits (in the religion advisor) to see what benefits it gives; in particular, if I can buy one of the special buildings (cathedral, monastery, pagoda, etc.) before I worry about converting it back to my religion.

Along those lines, you could always use a captured GP to convert a couple of your cities, buy stuff, then convert them back. You'd have to have a ton of extra faith sitting around, and you'd have to want to do that rather than save the faith to buy great people (scientists/engineers mostly).

Also, any religion is often better than no religion at all. In my last Brazil game I had 6000 faith and was ready to finish the cultural victory by faith spamming three Great Musicians - but nope, none of my cities had a majority religion, so no go. I had three neighboring civs, each with their own faiths, and my cities had them in fairly equal amounts (it seems to converge to a such situation quite often in the late game).

I had 6000 faith and was ready to finish the cultural victory by faith spamming three Great Musicians...

Interesting. I tend to value the happiness aspects of religion too much to let my civ be agnostic all game. I might have to try that sometime.

Wodan, I was planning on getting a religion if I could manage after getting a good cultural game start, but my chances were gone when someone finished Hagia Sophia a few turns before me. I was going tall, so the happiness wasn't as important - but when going wider, I know exactly what you mean!

Top Bottom