Two things from civ5 that should be different in BE but aren't

Discussion in 'CivBE - Ideas and Suggestions' started by Magma_Dragoon, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

Call it exploit or flawed design, doesn't matter, clearly it wasn't meant to be.

2. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Why not.. there is an expense to operating the city long enough to entice the survivors to get detected by the death squads.

3. TLHeart

TLHeart King

Im sorry, but pillage and destroy is the invaders decision, and that should include the buildings in a captured city. Steal everything of value,as you burn it to the ground. and that takes time. The same as pillaging every tile around that burning city for the gold. It takes time.

4. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

I do think it Might be preferable to say

1. no scrapping buildings in a city in resistance/under martial law at all (you already scrapped some when you took the city)
    2. no limit on # of buildings scrapped for city Not in resistance

If you pay maintenance on those buildings... well you won't for very long. (ie whichever is easier to code)

5. m15a

m15a Emperor

No, that's not clear. The system of selling buildings is consistent, and maybe that consistency was preferred over any benefit of making a special case.

Thinking about it again, probably the easiest/safest option is to not allow buildings to be sold for gold at all, i.e., you can just destroy them to avoid paying maintenance. But, really, there are a ton of alternatives that fix this tiny/non-problem.

6. TLHeart

TLHeart King

as an invader, I should be able to profit from everything I can from the captured city... if I want to burn it to the ground, and sell everything I can, that should be a choice. The game works perfectly fine as is.... for those willing to take the time and think about each turn, and NOT have easy choices... this is NOT a click fest game.

If I want to keep the city and grow, that is a choice.

7. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

These sound like the best solutions, a gold bonus at the end for each building or get rid of it entirely. It had not occurred to me that someone might actually take a city back before it finishes burning.

8. GhostSalsa

GhostSalsa Emperor

Since when do you get paid to burn things? Anywhere? And how are you theoretically breaking these buildings down for parts while the entire city is literally on fire? What strange feat of military engineering has your civilization apparently perfected here?

Back to my embarking.

Lack of resources on planetfall isn't an answer. Just tie fast-embark to a later tech, which, like many of the techs, would really just be an abstraction for reestablishing presumed earth resources. Yes, I understand abstraction.

It doesn't have to be Denmark's full water embark points bonus, it can literally just be a "embarking only takes 1 movement" or "Has 1 movement point after landing" rule.

A huge roboticized army should have all its soldiers loaded up into robotic arms that just spew them out from the boat. I do not accept that my faction is implanting alien genes into its eyeballs but has to unload a boat manually. I mean is my faction trying to achieve victory on this planet or just get its union lunch breaks in come on humans.

9. Miravlix

Miravlix King

The only real problem with selling buildings in burning cities, is that the AI doesn't do it.

Anytime a feature exist that the AI is completely lacking code to handle, something is clearly wrong with it.

10. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

Perhaps morale is low because your workers realize they are trapped in a perpetual cycle of indentured servitude because you don't pay them enough to avoid going into debt at the company store... exactly as planned.

Anyway, as Colonel Santiago said, just because you know how to build a boat doesn't mean you have the infrastructure set up to actually get all the stuff you need to make it.

11. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

What are you talking about ans why? Clearly it wasn't intentional, something of an oversight. They simply didn't think about that. If they did, it indeed would've been either automatic scrapping or rather no scrapping at all.

12. Gort

Gort Emperor

It's also busywork. An extra four clicks a turn that you'd be an idiot not to do.

Razing cities should lock you out of the city screen for that city - give a little gold a turn while the city's on fire if you're worried about balance.

It also shouldn't ask me what I want to build in a city I'm razing.

13. Lancor

Lancor Prince

Mh I have beaten Deity multiple times but did not know you could sell buildings during a raze.

14. Ryoga

Ryoga King

I don't think that it makes sense that you are paying maintenance for buildings in a city that you are razing to the ground. What are you maintaining them for? So that they may be pristine and shiny when the city is finally razed?

Now if we wanted to be perfectly logical, no building should be operative during the razing process, and no maintenance should be required, buildings would then crumble "naturally" during the razing (so that even if you change your mind and stop you'd also have lost buildings and not just people).

You might even get some money from that by salvaging the scraps, but far less that you'd get in a peaceful environment. It's not easy to work in the middle of people resisting and dying.

15. Gort

Gort Emperor

Sure. But now that you DO know, in order to play optimally you're going to need to spend 4 clicks a turn while you're razing a city.

And even if you didn't know, you were still bothered by the "What do you want to build in this city you're burning down? It'll never matter, but we won't let you end your turn until you pick something!" stuff.

I'm not saying it's a huge deal, but it does degrade the user experience, so it should be gotten rid of.

16. GhostSalsa

GhostSalsa Emperor

I am? I never considered sell-while-razing before this thread either, and still won't be in the future.

Everything about razing is handled through other systems. You know that going in - I'm going to annex, I'm going to be prompted to build stuff - it's already part of the decision. If razing was going to become its own ecosystem it would have been done a long time ago. All we're really talking about is like a handful of free gold that you want. Just ask the devs to give you more gold during the initial pillage. Done.

17. Gort

Gort Emperor

Sure, but by making that choice you've decided to play sub-optimally because playing optimally is too much hassle. You should be able to play optimally without hassle.

I still think the perfect solution is for cities you're razing not to bug you at all. As I said earlier, it's not a huge deal, but if the devs are looking at this issue at all they might as well solve it comprehensively - why do half a job, after all?

18. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

More generally cities that are under martial law/resistance should not bug you at all.

19. GhostSalsa

GhostSalsa Emperor

Well, BE has incentives for annexing now so get used to an even more hands-on resistance experience.

Buildings shouldn't give you any money after you select raze. You've already pillaged the city. You think your soldiers left some treasure untouched? I agree you shouldn't be paying maintenance on them. If the city is unproductive, why am I signing paychecks for the laboratory? It's nuts and another smarmy warmonger penalty in a game that was only two more changes away from banning all combat altogether. But that issue affects all non-productive cities, so it would be fixed for the whole rebellion system.

20. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Remember that Beyond Earth doesn't deal in gold, but in energy, which can quite literally be gained through burning things.