Typhoon of Steel - Version 3

Did you not realize that the hit ratio and damage ships take in port is hard coded into CIVIII?

This was announced when the Play the World subgame was released. (I believe that was the first appearance of the War in the Pacific Firaxis scenario). It was specifically stated that the game engine had been tweaked to ensure ships in port took higher damage.

I doubt you'll ever be able to get ships at sea to take more damage than those sitting in port.

Sorry
Misfit

I thought that was the case Misfit but I didn't look for reference. But if you recall....I have all along thought the fix would be a separate Honolulu and PH. Honolulu can have all the improvements including a harbor. PH can have the naval shipyard, military airfield, barracks and the 8 BBs. The other ships can be in coastal squares. In addition it seems alot of the IJN aircraft were regular. It would be my suggestion they all be veteran. I'm at turn 3 with no further bugs to report than what I've posted already. The China theater is greatly improved Eric!!! Having static troops I think helps alot. It no longer will be too easy for the IJA to have their way!!!
Sully

Guys -- I tried out the new version as the US. I ran the turn three times with the same results each time.

Japan, in each case, attacked Pearl Harbor, lost three planes to flak, destroyed one building, killed one pop, and did minor damage to two ships in harbor.

If we are looking for a certain result maybe the scenerio needs to start the turn after the attack on Pearl. Just a thought.

Civnut

Perhaps WVC but I's still like to see Eric try my suggestion utilizing a 3tile Oahu with seperate Honolulu and PH first before going your route.
I'm going to try and play a very fast game today to get farther into the tech tree without spending a lot of time on strategy etc so I can see how the new units act.
Sully

I like your idea on two cities, Sully -- but I think the AI will hit Honolulu instead of Pearl. Only way to tell is to try it though.

aksully said:
Geez, that's quite a turn of events Eric! Have run the attack on Pearl Harbor again and I'm afraid to say the outcome remains the same. The first turn Jap air attack produces the same results as previously despite the absence of the RT. My guess is that ships in port when attacked will produce better kill rates than those at sea.

I continue to suggest there needs to be an Oahu with separate Honolulu and Pearl Harbor sites.

On another note...the 48th Inf Div on Formosa will not load onto a Fast Trans.

Sully

Sully:
Only brigade size units can be loaded onto fast transports.

WVCivnut said:
Guys -- I tried out the new version as the US. I ran the turn three times with the same results each time.

Japan, in each case, attacked Pearl Harbor, lost three planes to flak, destroyed one building, killed one pop, and did minor damage to two ships in harbor.

If we are looking for a certain result maybe the scenerio needs to start the turn after the attack on Pearl. Just a thought.

Civnut

I noticed that when the AI is controlling Japan they ignore the tile with the
battleships and just bomb PH.

Why don't you make the start of Single Player game with the US BB's already sunk? (at least when the human is on the Allied side)

Luthor_Saxburg said:
Why don't you make the start of Single Player game with the US BB's already sunk? (at least when the human is on the Allied side)

Luthor:
That's exactly what I do for the single-player allied game. What we
are trying to do here is get the right setup for multiplayer.

Sully:
If that last version works, I will create a multiplayer version and you
can start a MP test game.

For those who are taking part in Sully's V4 PBEM test game, I will
be posting these notes over the next few days:

Typhoon of Steel - Version 4 - Scenario Notes

Introduction

1.0 Typhoon of Steel (TOS) is the title for my WW2 Pacific theater scenario for Civ III
Conquests. Version 4 features a new map which was cropped out of El Menecy's 362 by 325
world map. This map extends from Ceylon in the west to the Panama Canal Zone in the east.

There is both a short and a long version of the scenario. The short version ends in
1943 while the long game goes on to 1945. In addition, there are specific versions for
single player and multiplayer games.

Time Scale, Civilizations and Alliances

1.1 Turns represent 2 weeks in real time. The short game is 40 turns long, which covers
the period from Dec., 7, 1941 until April, 1943. The long game is 100 turns and covers
the entire conflict period. The civilizations in order of play are:

1. Japan
2. America
3. Commonwealth
4. Communist China
5. Netherlands
6. Nationalist China

The Communist Chinese are not playable, they intended for AI control only. Three far east
Russian cities are controlled by the communists, this was done to simulate Russian
support for their red allies. The Russian far east cities have very powerful but immobile
garrisons to make them very difficult for the Japanese to capture and are well equipped
with flak guns to discourage bombing. The most numerous communist unit is the guerllia
which has hiddened nationalality and can move through hills and forest like it was clear
terrain. But if you are playing Japan in the long game beware the 3 Soviet Tank Army units
which appear around turn 90.

The political situation:

Locked alliance #1 (USA, Commonwealth, China and Netherlands) at war with alliance 2.
Locked alliance #2 (Japan) at war with alliance 1 and 3.
Locked alliance #3 (Communist Chinese) at war with alliance 2.

Units Concepts

2.1 Land Units

2.10 Most types of land units in TOS come in 2 sizes, the Brigade (or regiment in the
case of US Marines) and the Division. Divisions have twice the combat strength of
brigades and have +1 hit point and a zone of control. 3 brigades equal 1 division so a
brigade is 1/3 of a divison and a division will cost 3 times as much to build.

Division sized units always have the word division in the name while brigade
sized units mostly just have the type of unit; for example, In you set your city production
list you can select to build "US Infantry" (this is a brigade unit) or a "US Infantry
Division". Some units, such as the "parachute brigade" have the word brigade in the name
as simply calling them "parachute" would sound odd.

China is an execption, it cannot build brigades only divisions.

Parachute units are brigade-size only;

Militia units are used to represent smaller detachments as well as local defense units.

2.11 Artillery and flak units represent batteries of about 100 guns.

Drafting
2.12 Drafting units produces an infantry brigade, the exception is China which can draft
division size units due to their huge population.

China
2.13 The basic Chinese infantry unit is called a division but it really represents
3 chinese divisions. During World War 2 most Chinese units were poorly trained
and equipped and a typical Chinese division had only about 5000 men compared with
12,000 to 15,000 in a Japanese Division. The Chinese infantry are also slower than
other infantry with only 1 movement point instead of 2.

Excellent Eric!
Here are some ground rules which we decided on since it tends to affect the historical acurracy of the scenario....

No razing cities.
No city flipping. However all other forms of espionage may be conducted.
Limit of 4 planes to an airfield.
No building of new airfields since they are broken (ie can't be attacked).
No scrapping of units to rush units.

Sully

aksully said:
Excellent Eric!
Here are some ground rules which we decided on since it tends to affect the historical acurracy of the scenario....

No razing cities.
No city flipping. However all other forms of espionage may be conducted.
Limit of 4 planes to an airfield.
No building of new airfields since they are broken (ie can't be attacked).
No scrapping of units to rush units.

Sully

Sully:
I made city flipping VERY expensive in this version, so you can at least
try a couple of flips to see how much it costs.

You should allow airfields to be rebuilt if destroyed.

eric_A said:
Sully:
I made city flipping VERY expensive in this version, so you can at least
try a couple of flips to see how much it costs.
That may help but it just seems so unrealistic that we are agreeing not to do it
You should allow airfields to be rebuilt if destroyed.
Hadn't thought about that as an exception and certainly makes sense from the historical perspective!

Maybe you could have a max number of airfield per nation. So, if one is destroyed, it could be built but on some other location and not necessarly in the same place.

This is what they will look like in the finished product, with
Catherine filling in for Willimena of the Netherlands:

Attachments

• leaders.jpg
    leaders.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 85
Ok, I still have a problem initiating PBEM games as it hangs up while configuring team colors. Anyhow. I spent this past evening loading all the disks and files on my wife's computer and it works. So Shane and I will be able to start later today. Anyhow...Eric just a quick note..once I got the game loaded I spent some time looking at the tech tree for Japan.

Japan starts with the Betty Bomber but on the tech tree it is the Adv Air tech?
Sully

Top Bottom