Typhoon of Steel - WW2 in the Pacific - Version 4

I found the .biq files finally later last night, however, I find no evidence of a Liberty Ship wonder. Also, I scaled your map out last night, and your north-south scale is about 40 miles to the diamond, and your east-west scale is about 70 miles to the diamond. I plugged in an average for the miles of 55 miles per diamond, with this giving a range for the B-29 of about 32, with corresponding increases in other aircraft ranges. I will send you some more information this evening on other aircraft and ships. Also, a division should be 4 times stronger than a regiment, not 2, because of the additional support troops present with a division.

timerover51 said:
I found the .biq files finally later last night, however, I find no evidence of a Liberty Ship wonder. Also, I scaled your map out last night, and your north-south scale is about 40 miles to the diamond, and your east-west scale is about 70 miles to the diamond. I plugged in an average for the miles of 55 miles per diamond, with this giving a range for the B-29 of about 32, with corresponding increases in other aircraft ranges. I will send you some more information this evening on other aircraft and ships. Also, a division should be 4 times stronger than a regiment, not 2, because of the additional support troops present with a division.

Timerover51:
The combat strength of a division does not tell the whole story.
In TOS 4 the divisions have more hit points than the brigade units
and also a zone of control

Have you ever considered making it so (almost) all the ships could carry small infantry units?

Transports would still be needed to move larger units and armour.

timerover51 said:

You are right about the B-29 range being too short, they should be
able to bomb Tokyo from Saipan which is about 30 tiles. I will have
to take another look at aircraft ranges.

In the PBEM (Hirohito) I'm playing Heavy Bombers could not be re-based from Canada to anywhere within the CW community.

I think it should be otherwise, maybe by having a pre-placed CW airfield closer to Canada.

I have a radical suggestion. Why not make the distance between the ocean way smaller? Because it's unreasonable that it require 10 turns which equals 5 month from coast of US to Japan. I know it cuts down on the actually distance, but in reality ship can go much further then the distance actually given. And it would make the game faster paced, not having to worry about distances

Also I alway find the WWII scenario in that they greatly understrength China. In all the PBEM I played ( about 3 or 4) not once did China make any serious stand before being overrun by Japan. In reality though, China should be harder to take

Wikipedia
"By 1940, the fighting had reached a stalemate. While Japan held most of the eastern coastal areas of China, guerrilla fighting continued in the conquered areas. The Nationalist government of Chiang Kai-shek struggled on from a provisional capital at the city of Chongqing; however, realizing that he also faced a threat from communist forces of Mao Zedong, he mostly tried to preserve the remaining strength of his army and avoid heavy battle with the Japanese in the hopes of defeating the Communists once the Japanese left. China, with its low industrial capacities and limited experience in modern warfare, could not launch any decisive counter-offensive against Japan. Chiang could not risk an all-out campaign given the poorly-trained, under-equipped, and disorganized state of his armies and opposition to his leadership both within Kuomintang and in China at large. He had lost a substantial portion of his best trained and equipped army defending Shanghai and the remaining troops were used to preserve his army. On the other hand, Japan had suffered tremendous casualties from unexpectedly stubborn resistance from China and already developed problems in administering and garrisoning fallen territories. Neither side could make any swift progress in a manner resembling the fall of France and Western Europe to Nazi Germany."

The game begin at 1941 where the fight have basically come to a stalemate.

"Because of Chiang Kai-shek's anti-communist nationalist policies and hopes of defeating the CCP, Germany provided the largest proportion of Kuomintang arms imports. German military advisors modernized and trained the Kuomintang armies; Kuomintang officers (including Chiang's second son, Chiang Wei-kuo) were educated in and served in the German army prior to World War II. More than half of the German arms exports during its rearmament period were to China. Nevertheless the proposed 30 new divisions equipped with all German arms did not materialize as the Germans sided with the Japanese later in World War II.

Other prominent powers, including the United States of America, the United Kingdom, and France, only officially assisted in war supply contracts up to the attack on Pearl Harbor in late 1941, when a significant influx of trained military personnel and supplies boosted the Kuomintang chance of maintaining the fight."

They are also specially trained soldiers from other powers those there should be specially trained soliders for Chinese to represent that.

Perhaps a bit more autoproducing unit wonders?

I guess what's also largely undermine is the gurellia forces that did not exist in TOS and Communist China poses no actually threat as it's not really active at all.

Not to say though that Chinese is still underequip, doesn't really receive whole bunch of equipments and such. But I think they should have a higher population base to represent their huge populations which is not reflected right now.

Hi,

I'm new to this board and I just played the WWII scenario that comes with Conquest. Then I forund your scenario, after all I've read it sounds awesome. I was always looking for somthing like this. I just did not know that it existet until I stumbeled across it by accident.
Well, I got some problems installing it. I hope there is someone who can help me, so I can sail the combined fleet, even when this mod does not seem to be the most popular right now.

I follow your instructions on page one, but when I want to start a new game I get different errors all of a certain sort most of them say something like:
LOAD ERROR
FILE NOT FOUND:
"Art\Units\Infantry\InfantryDefauld.flc"
the game will now exit
or
LOAD ERROR
FILE NOT FOUND:
"Art\Units\China_WWII\..\Rifleman\RiflemanDeath.wav"
the game will now exit

I am using the german version of Civ with either german or english conquest. I am aware that this might cause problems but I don't have a english CIV3 at hand. But I don't think my problem lies here please read on before you just tell me to install the english version.

What makes me curious is that not one of the files he reports missing, or the subfolders they should be in, is included in the TOS_v4.zip I downloaded form the first page of this thread. Do I have the wrong file? I did not se one of these *.wav in the TOS_v4.zip. If there is a distinct Battleship Nevada wave missing it can't be that he does't find my "german" file. There is no such file in the standart CIV3 Conquest should it not come with the mod? Or maybe I got the whole concept wrong and my error is some where else?!?

Thank you very much!
doc.fox

Hi,

did you download this little tool and ran it?

goethes tool

You need to do so to play English versions of mods/scenarios with a German version Civ3.

Hi,

I'm new to this board and I just played the WWII scenario that comes with Conquest. Then I forund your scenario, after all I've read it sounds awesome. I was always looking for somthing like this. I just did not know that it existet until I stumbeled across it by accident.
Well, I got some problems installing it. I hope there is someone who can help me, so I can sail the combined fleet, even when this mod does not seem to be the most popular right now.

I follow your instructions on page one, but when I want to start a new game I get different errors all of a certain sort most of them say something like:
or

I am using the german version of Civ with either german or english conquest. I am aware that this might cause problems but I don't have a english CIV3 at hand. But I don't think my problem lies here please read on before you just tell me to install the english version.

What makes me curious is that not one of the files he reports missing, or the subfolders they should be in, is included in the TOS_v4.zip I downloaded form the first page of this thread. Do I have the wrong file? I did not se one of these *.wav in the TOS_v4.zip. If there is a distinct Battleship Nevada wave missing it can't be that he does't find my "german" file. There is no such file in the standart CIV3 Conquest should it not come with the mod? Or maybe I got the whole concept wrong and my error is some where else?!?

Thank you very much!
doc.fox

doc.fox:
Both the the .wav and .flc files are part of the original Civ 3. First
thing to check is did you put the scenaio file and the TOS_v4 folder
in the right place. They should be in the scenarios folder as shown below:

Attachments

• folder.JPG
    folder.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 148
Wow. Just installed and this opened this beaut up this morning before work and now I wished I'd call in sick.

Hey mcEvilly, Once you play through the solitare scenarios and you'd like to do a PBEM...then email me. TOS is still my favorite though I spend more time now doing Eric's Hinge of Fate (HOF). But I'm always willing to go back to TOS. Just let me know.
Sully

Top Bottom