typing

Originally posted by Dumb pothead
Im a two fingered tempest. But I have to look at the keyboard. Not having to look at the keyboard while typing is magic as far as Im concerned.
It's easy, honest.
I come from "always looking on the keyboard" to "not looking at it half of the time" in three (3) days, then "not looking at it most of time" in 10 ten days, and then you just have to follow the move to end up nearly never looking.

All you have to do is to force yourself (and I mean FORCE, as in "force to do it even if it hurt your hand at hell after one hour") to NOT look at the keyboard for some time. You will write as a snail at first, but it becomes quickly easier.

Im a two fingered tempest. But I have to look at the keyboard. Not having to look at the keyboard while typing is magic as far as Im concerned.
It just requires a little practise

Not having to look at the keyboard while typing is magic as far as Im concerned.
Well, only if it's specified that you have to type actual words... ;)

I was the laughingstock of my highschool typing class. What possessed me to take the class in the first place eludes me. Its far too late for me to learn now, all the typing neural pathways have already been burned in. Sometimes though, I catch myself not looking at the keyboard, but as soon as I notice, I cant do it anymore!

Haven't timed myself since learning to type. Probably in the 60-80 wpm range. Less if it has a lot of numbers in it. I always end up looking at the keyboard for the numbers.

anyone got a program to test it?
last i checked i was about 85 but i'd say significantly faster now.

I type about 60 wpm when I'm typing something I've already written. generally more slowly if I have to make it up as i go along. I only need to look at the keyboard to type numbers.... and that's just because I managed to get out of typing and into an independant study learning DOS back in 6th grade before we got to dealing with numbers.

Only about 40-50 wpm but that was reading from a paper last year in computer class. It's not all that hard for me to type and even correct without looking at the keyboard (well, maybe peripheral vision but that doesn't count ;)), there is a reason that they put those bumps on the j and f keys. But numbers and the first couple letters of a statement always take a look.

I was the laughingstock of my highschool typing class. What possessed me to take the class in the first place eludes me. Its far too late for me to learn now, all the typing neural pathways have already been burned in. Sometimes though, I catch myself not looking at the keyboard, but as soon as I notice, I cant do it anymore!

I don't know about that. . . I tried to learn as a freshman in high school. Old manual typewriters. The only think I took from that was pounding on the keyboard. Pissed my dad off to no end. . . But two years after that I started working on computers all the time in my junior year, I finally learned how to type. Although I taught myself, basically, as I couldn't type on a manual typewriter. I started out hunting and pecking my junior year, and by the end of my senior year I was able to type slowly, with lots of mistakes, without looking at the keyboard. But I didn't really learn to type until about five years after highschool, when I started actually working on computers. Now I can type pretty quickly, and the more I type the less errors I get.

Originally posted by bobgote

Try here. Free online place to check. And see what the fastest time turned in this week is. . .

Edit: Just took the test, and on my crappy MS keyboard that I don't like and don't type well on got 72 wpm gross, 74 w/ 2 errors. . .

Originally posted by Eastern Knight
how fast do you type?

Very slow, with lots of errors.... :blush:

It's not hard to type fast. Just rest your fingers (without the thumbs) on the keyboard as following, from left to right.
ASDF (left hand) JKL; (right hand)

Use the closest finger to the key you whish to press, then return to rest position. For instance, I use my left small finger for the Q key, my left ring finger for W, E with middle finger, R and T with index... and so on. Once you'll get used to it, you'll type fast too...

there's one on typingmaster.com or something, can't remember the name

typingmasters.com

typingmaster.com

I consider myself to be fast... but I can also be quite inaccurate. The accuracy depends on my mood. I once had this typometer that showed the amount of keystrokes you perform per minute... I managed to hit it off the scale with 900 keys/min... of course this was a momentary peak, not a sustained speed.

Sustained speed was somewhere around 600-700 keys/min, and this speed includes of course backspaces, which slow you down very much as you type. When measuring, I held the criterion that the end result must not contain typos... so if I typoed, I would have to hit backspace, which always slows you down because the key is inconveniently placed...

Depends on what type of keyboard I use. If I use the keyboard I like, probably 60-80 wps relatively accurately.

it's easy, look at your keyboard, some keys are marked, just feel them with your fingers when typing (of course you got to remember them and the ones around :))

Top Bottom