Would this be an interesting mechanic?

• Yes

Votes: 15 83.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 16.7%

• Total voters

Dawnpromise

Prince
Sorry if this is a bad place to put this, just felt like sharing this idea.

Would it be possible to make a mod or ability that would turn barb camps into ruins upon capture, either as a mod, optional game function, or other effect?

This would make capturing barb camps more interesting as instead of simply getting a sum of gold and cutting off a source of barbs a civ could gain a random bonus from the same vein as those available to ruins.

I don't know anything about modding but figured I'd at least post my idea. Any thoughts?

That's actually a pretty cool idea, though I don't know how it would affect the balance of the game.

That's actually a pretty cool idea, though I don't know how it would affect the balance of the game.
Well it would be a shift towards ancient/classical era warmongers, as well as a roundabout buff to skillful use of Shoshone pathfinders. Civs that have UA's that increase the gold yield from capturing barb caps may need minor changes.

Other then that I 'think' it would be as simple as redirecting the barb camp reward to the ruins reward. Correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: It would also likely exaggerate the advantage warmongers gain in 'Raging Barbarians' mode due to the increase of barb camp frequency.

Last edited:
Well it would be a shift towards ancient/classical era warmongers, as well as a roundabout buff to skillful use of Shoshone pathfinders. Civs that have UA's that increase the gold yield from capturing barb caps may need minor changes.

Other then that I 'think' it would be as simple as redirecting the barb camp reward to the ruins reward. Correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: It would also likely exaggerate the advantage warmongers gain in 'Raging Barbarians' mode due to the increase of barb camp frequency.

Well maybe that's the whole point. You want to promote a lot of warmongering. Every empire did so. You were never rewarded for having a larger military when you tried to pursue a cultural victory or science victory. You were only rewarded for having a larger military in pursuing domination and diplomatic as you would be strong enough to pledge to protect and win domination. With barbarian camps becoming ancient ruins, you were rewarded for exploring the map now rather than just exploring the map and hoping you can find a good ruin probability. It would make sense rather than a couple of warriors finding spears in an ancient ruin rather than a sacked barbarian camp or finding refugees and captured slaves earning you +1 population.

Well maybe that's the whole point. You want to promote a lot of warmongering. Every empire did so. You were never rewarded for having a larger military when you tried to pursue a cultural victory or science victory. You were only rewarded for having a larger military in pursuing domination and diplomatic as you would be strong enough to pledge to protect and win domination. With barbarian camps becoming ancient ruins, you were rewarded for exploring the map now rather than just exploring the map and hoping you can find a good ruin probability. It would make sense rather than a couple of warriors finding spears in an ancient ruin rather than a sacked barbarian camp or finding refugees and captured slaves earning you +1 population.
Let me just go on record here and say despite my idea promoting warmongering I personally hate war in Civ in later eras. Early game is fun however and I want to promote more reasons to get an army going early rather then going pure city builder and focusing infrastructure.. Also by the way you use past tense there am I to infer you've made a change like this in past?

Personally I think late game needs more war to punish warmongers with carpets of untis and early game needs to reward having units to do stuff.

Let me just go on record here and say despite my idea promoting warmongering I personally hate war in Civ in later eras. Early game is fun however and I want to promote more reasons to get an army going early rather then going pure city builder and focusing infrastructure.. Also by the way you use past tense there am I to infer you've made a change like this in past?

Personally I think late game needs more war to punish warmongers with carpets of untis and early game needs to reward having units to do stuff.
I made a mini-mod that I didn't publish where clearing a barbarian camp would result in a random event popup giving you what to do with the camps and such(one of the most rarest popup was settling a city on the cleared camp itself!) However, it wasn't that popular during my early stage of modding so I never extended it development. (It doesn't work with this current version due to the drastic changes)

I made a mini-mod that I didn't publish where clearing a barbarian camp would result in a random event popup giving you what to do with the camps and such(one of the most rarest popup was settling a city on the cleared camp itself!) However, it wasn't that popular during my early stage of modding so I never extended it development. (It doesn't work with this current version due to the drastic changes)
That sounds very interesting! Personally I'm saddened barbarians only give gold as historically isn't most interactions with 'barbarian' peoples usually a good deal more complex then simple 'exploit for profit'? I'd love to see a mod like that.

That sounds very interesting! Personally I'm saddened barbarians only give gold as historically isn't most interactions with 'barbarian' peoples usually a good deal more complex then simple 'exploit for profit'? I'd love to see a mod like that.
Eh wasn't really popular because the barbarian stationed in the camp had +50% Defensive Strength and +100 Max HP and I've eliminated ancient ruins due to the barbarian camps rework.

Eh wasn't really popular because the barbarian stationed in the camp had +50% Defensive Strength and +100 Max HP and I've eliminated ancient ruins due to the barbarian camps rework.
Ouch, yeah that would kill any appeal the change would bring up. I can understand why you'd buff the camp that way to make up for it, you just about turned the camp into a city.

Still a mod that expands on the action of clearing a camp, or sacking a city is an appealing idea to me at the least.

I wouldn't hate just seeing this added to Shoshone's ruin thing. They have really lost some of their identity as ruins became balanced.

I wouldn't hate just seeing this added to Shoshone's ruin thing. They have really lost some of their identity as ruins became balanced.
For the Shoshone I've always wondered why the 'Native Tongue' promotion isn't just a universal promotion to all Shoshone units. Too strong I guess? Also the very act of having barb camps double as ruins would buff Shoshone as there are more effective 'ruins' for Native Tongue to effect and Pathfinders are basically upgraded warriors as much as they are scouts as far as I remember.

For the Shoshone I've always wondered why the 'Native Tongue' promotion isn't just a universal promotion to all Shoshone units. Too strong I guess? Also the very act of having barb camps double as ruins would buff Shoshone as there are more effective 'ruins' for Native Tongue to effect and Pathfinders are basically upgraded warriors as much as they are scouts as far as I remember.
If it hit all units you would probably have to remove the weapon upgrade option, otherwise can you do things like get a knight on turn 40.

Isn't this like one of the unique abilities of Sumeria in Civ VI? I see this as a potential UA for a civ rather than something anyone can do. Just like @CrazyG said, I think the Shoshone could do with another buff.

Top Bottom