:):):):):):):):) uber alles

Equuleus

King
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8387855.stm

Singer Pete Doherty has apologised after being asked to leave a stage in Germany for performing a verse of the national anthem with Nazi connotations.

Doherty, 30, was booed after singing "Deutschland, Deutschland ueber alles" at a concert in Munich on Saturday that was broadcast live on Bavarian radio.

Public radio station Bayerischer Rundfunk stopped broadcasting from the on3 music festival when Doherty began his version of the anthem.

The reaction sounds, well nazi ish for lack of a better term.

Apparently CFC auto censors the word BS into smile faces...

Wow, I didn't realize the German national anthem contained a verse that everyone wishes didn't exist, yet they don't officially modify the anthem... Weird.

It sounds like an honest mistake to me.

They probably were offended more by his singing, than the lyrics.

Well the simple fact of the matter is that "Deutscheland uber alles" isn't nazi. It was written by a Liberal German poet in the 1800s.

Well the simple fact of the matter is that "Deutscheland uber alles" isn't nazi. It was written by a Liberal German poet in the 1800s.

Same can be said of the origin of the swastika.

EDIT: Not that it was made by a liberal german poet, I mean the innocent origins of the art.

...singing the name of the anthem is offensive?

The reaction sounds, well nazi ish for lack of a better term.
Yeah, the Nazi's were bad because they booed the Jews and didn't let them sing on the radio. :rolleyes:

California! Uber Alles!

Wow, I didn't realize the German national anthem contained a verse that everyone wishes didn't exist, yet they don't officially modify the anthem... Weird.

It sounds like an honest mistake to me.

That's what I thought.

Anyway, the anthem still describes Germany as being "von der Maas bis an die Memel"

Well, the third stanza of the Deutschlandlied is the National Anthem. But the other ones aren't since they talk of the old borders and of "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles, über alles in der Welt" which could be translated as "Germany, Germany above all, above all in the world". And since that is definitely out - given our history - it's not seen kindly hereabouts.

For more history and geography of the Deutschlandlied see here.

Quite.

The difficult bits in that verse is the geographical information about the putative extension of Germany: From the Maas to the Memel, from the Etsch to the Belt.

The Maas is the Germen version of the French river the Meuse. Memel, these days, is the town of Klaipeda, in Lithuania. The Etsch these days is a river in northern Italy, emptying in the Adriatic. Rather an ambitious Germany, that.

Well, the third stanza of the Deutschlandlied is the National Anthem. But the other ones aren't since they talk of the old borders and of "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles, über alles in der Welt" which could be translated as "Germany, Germany above all, above all in the world". And since that is definitely out - given our history - it's not seen kindly hereabouts.

For more history and geography of the Deutschlandlied see here.

What he said.

The 3rd stanza goes: "Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit etc." translated "Unity and Law and Freedom" - much more appropriate for a democratic state.

The first stanza is never sung in public * in Germany because of the connotations of nationalistic hubris. It should be noted, however, that, when it was written, in the early 19th century IIRC, it was more of a revolutionary song, yearning for the unification of then-splintered Germany - not calling in any way for the conquest of any non-German territories. The borders it talked about were those where people of German extraction lived at that time.

Edit: * I should have said: never sung on official occasions and seldom in public other than by right-wingers

I don't see how the people at the concert did not expect something like this from a drug dealer, crack+heroin+ketamine addict, soon to be scientologist, haunted by the ghost of his cat that was kidnapped by aliens but got reincarnated into a street cat ?

The guy can sing tho. :D

I won't never understand why do Germans feel ashamed of the lyrics of their anthem. The Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit version sucks. I want them to sing the WHOLE version.

I think Doherty would know that Deutschland uber alles is highly offensive in Germany and know of its implications. I read in a women's magazine :blush: that he is Jewish and works with many anti-racism organisations so he would have to know, surely! Instead of saying he didn't know, just fess up and say "I'm a s*&t-stirrer!".

Rather an ambitious Germany, that.

Is there another kind of Germany?

A real fear of mine was while I was over there, they would start yet another war and I wouldn't be able to catch my flight home. Don't allow their friendly and courteous attitude let your guard down. Inside every German is a beast wanting to unleash hell across the European continent. They are barbarian covered Vikings with Hun filling through and through...

Top Bottom