1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

UE-Global Scenario issues & questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Road to War' started by ZooMan2, Dec 13, 2008.

1. ZooMan2

ZooMan2 Chieftain

This tread is for issues and questions related to RtW Ultimate Edition and particularly observations, notes, issues and questions related to the Global scenarios

2. ZooMan2

ZooMan2 Chieftain

I'm playing the Global 1936 Hiler/Hirohito scenario and want to enter into a pact between the Brits and the Ausies so that when Japan or Germany attacks either one the other will go to war in support. But for some reason that is not an option in the diplomacy screen. Does anyone know why? Also does anyone know where diplomacy options are controlled in the mod - ie where you control which options are available and under what conditions?:confused:

Any help will be appreciated.:D

Thanks!:)

3. ZooMan2

ZooMan2 Chieftain

In the UE Global Hitler/Hirohito scenario there are more than 20 nations at the start but only the top 16 display on the primary screen (middle right above all of the display buttons). Does anyone know how to scroll through or page down to the second page of nations?:confused:

The reason I'm asking is that this is the only way I know you can initiate diplomatic relations ... and not being able to reach these nations limits entering into agreements that might save them from being eleminated from being so small!:mad: Is there an alternate way to start diplomacy?

Again, any help will be appreciated.:D

4. Chamboozer

Chamboozer Chieftain

What setting are you playing the game on? (Historical, Open Play, etc.)

Go into the diplomacy screen and find them. It's hard because there's so many, but all of them are there to access.

5. ZooMan2

ZooMan2 Chieftain

Open Play - I like to have the freedom to do what makes sense when I'm playing new scenarios for the first time.

Thanks - I figured it out - you have to do right click to access the one-to-one diplomacy screen or ALT+right click to declare war.

Any idea why you can't trade techs or propose pacts?

Thanks for your help.:)

6. ZooMan2

ZooMan2 Chieftain

Does anybody know why Dale left the Black Sea landlocked on the Global scenario map? Keeps the Soviets and Romanians from being able to use a big part of their starting naval forces in the Med and elsewhere. Just curious because if he moves Istanbul north one square that problem is solved.

7. Chamboozer

Chamboozer Chieftain

Historically the Turkish government kept the Bosporous straight locked so no other nation could use it.

8. VeteranLurker

VeteranLurker Chieftain

Tech trading is turned off in RTW, but this could be modded to allow it. I'm leaning towards boosting espionage to encourage tech-stealing rather than allowing trading.

I vaguely recall from much-earlier discussions that AI countries are limited to one defensive pact? There is likely some place where this can be modded, though I don't know where that is offhand. You can make defensive pacts in Open Play currently (though the AI only rarely seems interested in negotiating about this even if you are friendly with them).

Re the Bosporus, is it accurate to say that Turkey could close off the strait militarily but not physically? I recall it being open in the RTW Europe scenario.

In game terms, there needs to be a way to allow naval movement between the Black Sea and the Mediterranean while also allowing land travel between Asia Minor and the Balkans. The game solutions are to put the city of Istanbul in a location that allows this, or to put a fort on that landbridge to allow this. This would make it a strategic decision to have to account for the USSR's Black Sea fleet, as it is in the Europe scenario. Currently you can go and build a fort there during the game, but it is safe to assume that the AI will never do this.

Now, is such a open-up-the-Bosporus solution unbalanced, and if so why? In the sense that it "changes the game" in that the large USSR Black Sea fleet would be able to sail around the world, yes it is unbalanced. But I think that that is 'unbalanced' only because the AI would do something squirrelly, as a result of naval units being able to explore-rival-territory (a feature which I think is necessary for gameplay). Competent human players would likely use the Black Sea navy early on to protect the USSR's Black Sea cities, as well as bombardment/blockade support for possible wars with Turkey, Rumania, etc. Competent human players likely wouldn't send their navy out to 'just sail all over the place' (i.e., completely ignoring homeland defense) -- which is what I see the AI doing routinely. I'm attempting to develope a mod-mod of RTW, and when I check the first few turns I always see the UK/France navy next to Portugal on its way south, and the USSR Baltic navy on their way out into the Atlantic. This is in turn-1, even before Open Play has been selected. Where the heck are these navies going? Even imposing an increased support cost for naval units outside one's boundaries might not help here, if the AI doesn't look at this cost in making the decision.

I don't have a solution for the AI, but am planning to open the Bosporus in my mod-revision anyway. In game terms it is really no different than Suez, which I also recall as being navigable if you are on friendly terms with the owner.

An additional fix might be to allow forts to bombard passing enemy naval units (there is a mod somewhere for this, which presumably could be added to RTW though I don't know how complicated this would be yet). This would prevent navies from sailing through the Bosporus without damage if they are at war with Turkey.

9. Chamboozer

Chamboozer Chieftain

As for the Bosphorous, just use a Turkish city to reprisent the strait. In historical mode you wouldn't be able to get open borders, and therefore it will be closed as it historically was. In open play you could get open borders thus allowing passage.

10. VeteranLurker

VeteranLurker Chieftain

Once I figured out what was going on in the global map XML, it was easy enough to slide Istanbul 1 square over so that it is sitting on both coasts.

11. ZooMan2

ZooMan2 Chieftain

That may be true - but certainly the Turks could move their ships between the Black Sea and the Med and with it landlocked, that can't happen. Further, the Soviets were on good terms with the Turks and their fleet was not locked out of the Med although I don't remember if they ever ventured out in WWII.

12. ZooMan2

ZooMan2 Chieftain

Of course - it is easy to fix the problem - my question was really about why the Black Sea was left landlocked - was there a reason or was it just an oversight?:confused:

I'm leaning towards it being an oversight.

13. ZooMan2

ZooMan2 Chieftain

Exactly - just like the Suez.

14. ZooMan2

ZooMan2 Chieftain

Thanks - you're right ... but certainly the Allies, at least the Brits and the Americans, regularly exchanged tech - everything from Radar and Sonar to research on the atomic bomb.

I'd really like to understand where this is controlled as it does not appear to be consistent and is more than a little anoying in open plan.

15. Dale

Dale Chieftain

:) .

16. dankok8

dankok8 Elected World Leader

I've tried playing the Global Scenario 1936 Historical yesterday and today with the new UE 1.1 and I think its really well balanced and tons of fun. I played with Japan and so far I've declared war on China. Making progress against them, but I'm not steamrolling them so it's good. Because of bitter winter and battle effects, the loading time just became unbearable (the game crashed too as I ran out of memory and I have 1GB), but I've turned off both so my next game which I intend to try as Italy or Germany on Global should go much more smoothly.

Since this Japan one is so slow and I don't think I could finish it, I decided to continue as Japan and started Pacific 1941 Historical on Prince in the meantime. China and Britain are giving me all I can handle and Australia is doing OK, but the US is nowhere to be seen. I conquered Pearl Harbor defended by a single infantry, wiping out much of the US Pacific fleet. There is another large navy in Portland. Right now its Fortnight 2, October 1942 and I have almost 5 times the army size of my next competitor which is the Soviets and I'm also tops in GNP and Production. It's a little bit easy as Japan, but it's not so bad. The war was never a sure win for the Allies. Maybe I'll try sometime on Deity. The AI's ridiculous production bonuses might make up for their dumbness. Or I might just play the 1936 version - now I played the 1941 version because I came up to 1939 when Global crashed and I don't want to repeat the same events.

Btw, the videos are a real nice tough. You feel really immersed in the game. Great job Dale!!

17. ZooMan2

ZooMan2 Chieftain

How did you turn those off? I'm memory challenged as well at the moment plus it is difficult to see with the battle effects. I've read before that the bitter winter could be turned off but never bothered with it up to now.

Any help will be appreciated!:D

18. dankok8

dankok8 Elected World Leader

Go to Mods/The Road to War/Assets/XML and open GlobalDefinesAlt with Notepad and change 1 under Bitter Winter as well as DCM Battle Effects to 0. It only gets turned off for a new game though. Your old saves will still have them on. :(

19. ZooMan2

ZooMan2 Chieftain

Excellant! Just what the doctor ordered.:D