Zenit 1-1 Sevilla
Basel 1-2 Hearts
Steaua 2-1 Besiktas
Sochaux 0-4 Newcastle
Villarreal 2-0 Middlesbrough
Lazio 2-2 Partizan
AEK 1-2 Lille

Hitro said:
Stuttgart's is a little easier, the should definitely make it and probably win the group.

But they got beaten by Hoerenveen. Possibly the biggest surprise of the evening. Until the goal, the match was pretty even, but very lame. Stutgart got a lot of chances after that goal, but the goalkeeper was playing very good.

Talking of lame, the first half by Amika Wroncki was beyond lame. They didn't even try.

Great game by Newcastle - rested all our big players and still beat the 3rd team in the French league 4-0 :D

Robert put in a little cameo for the French coach (who was there) at the end as well.

Standard 2 : 1 Parma :goodjob:

I was there. The atmosphere in the stadium was incredible !!! It was a good game. Our players were great, especially Conceiçao and Deflandre.

Honnestly, before the game I though we would loose. Parma is Seria A !!! But I was disappointed by the level of that team :confused: The victory is yet better when unexpected :D

Only problem : the referee !!!! What does Mr Halsey do in UEFA cup ?

I hope the game against Bilbao will be good too because I allready have my ticket !!!!

Benfica won 2-0 to Zagreb. It was a great game! i was there.Goals of Sokota and Simão.

Sauxau won 1-0 to sporting aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :D
tomorow benfica will play with bereverren if benfica wins or draws it passes!!!!!!

UEFA Cup Matchday 4, 12/1/04
Ferencváros 1-2 Basel
Feyenoord 2-1 Schalke
Athletic 1-0 Steaua
Besiktas 1-1 Standard
Austria 1-1 Club Brugge
Zaragoza 2-1 Dnipro
Sporting 0-1 Sochaux
Panionios 5-2 Dinamo Tbilisi

Feyenoord and Steaua (despite the loss) advance. The winner of tomorrow's AZ Alkmaar-Rangers game will go through, but other than that I see no one else getting through tomorrow.

Standard took a point in Istanbul. We're the first team in group B to take point away ;)

For us, it's very simple. We receive Bilbao on 16/12. If we win, we advance ( even first of the group if Besiktas doesn't win in Parma :D ). If we don't, we're eliminated.

I allready have a ticket for that last game :)

naervod said:
UEFA Cup Matchday 4, 12/1/04
Ferencváros 1-2 Basel
Feyenoord 2-1 Schalke
Athletic 1-0 Steaua
Besiktas 1-1 Standard
Austria 1-1 Club Brugge
Zaragoza 2-1 Dnipro
Sporting 0-1 Sochaux
Panionios 5-2 Dinamo Tbilisi

Feyenoord and Steaua (despite the loss) advance. The winner of tomorrow's AZ Alkmaar-Rangers game will go through, but other than that I see no one else getting through tomorrow.
Schalke advances too, despite the loss.

Feyenoord-Schalke, especially during the first half, was a typical good-old-fashioned Holland-Germany match. I had to watch on the German TV, because Dutch TV stopped broadcasting, due to the death of Prince Bernhard.
I guess that made it even better.

Benfica won 3-0 to Berevereen!!!!!
Goals by Simão and Zahovic!
Great game! :king: :band: :devil2: [dance] :beer: :clap: :goodjob: :D [party] Now benfica is qualified to the next fase!

AZ beats Rangers 1-0. I had predicted a larger victory though. Rangers played cowardly. Even after the early goal, they didn't really push forward.
Hoerenveen escaped miraculously by Dinamo Zagreb (former Croatia Zagreb?), though they even could've scored 2-3 in the injury time. Twice. They're through to the next round when (not if) they win of Beveren (Berevereen :p ). All in all a good week for dutch football.

Group stage - Matchday 4
2 December 2004
Alkmaar 1-0 Rangers
Auxerre 5-1 Amica
Dinamo Zagreb 2-2 Heerenveen
Beveren 0-3 Benfica
Sevilla 3-2 AEK
Aachen 2-2 Zenit
Partizan 1-1 Villarreal
Egaleo 2-2 Lazio

Lazio going home! 3 points in 4 games

Hmm. Hearts could beat Ferencvaros, have 6pts from the 4 games, and still go out if Basel manage to beat the already qualified Feyenoord...

Not sure that I'm that keen on this fornmat now that we've seen it in action. It's too easy for the stronger teams to qualify after three games, meaning that the moderate teams (who were always going to be the ones scrapping for third place) are likely to face a very strong line-up from the top teams (if they play them in the first 3 weeks), or a set of reserves (if they play them in the last week). This level of variation can't be good or fair.

Quite funny about Lazio, though.

link

Apparently there was heavy betting in the UK that Panionios would come back from a 1-0 half-time deficit to beat Dinamo Tblisi 5-2. This did look like one of the odder results of the night, especially the lateness of the 4th and 5th goals. Maybe I'm just too cynical, and I'm certainly coming to a conclusion sooner than I ought to, but this seems to me pretty likely to have been fixed, to some extent.

phoenix_night said:
They actually predicted it would be 5-2? :eek:

That can't just be luck...:(

:confused: Why not?

Sure, it's very unlikely, but not at all impossible...

Seems to be that a lot of people started betting on it, too much to make it unlikely to be a coincidence.

Top Bottom