Ugliest and Most Beautiful Cities?

Yared

That Guy
Out of all the cities you've ever visited, which city is the ugliest and which city is the most beautiful?

Tough question. Most beautiful, I really like Antigua, Guatemala and Grenada, Nicaragua. Beautiful Spanish colonial architecture. Baku, Azerbaijan has some really nice 19th century Russian architecture and the old city is surrounded by city walls and has some classic old Islamic buildings. It's a bit over-restored and the city walls look more like an Indiana Jones style set but further inside it's got the typical narrow streets that end at dead ends and worn looking buildings.

Istanbul is really beautiful in the city center but it's a huge city with lots of boring suburbs. Most Turkish cities are full of concrete boxes and not very attractive. Where I'm at now, Gaziantep, is like that but in the city center it's more interesting and there's an old Byzantine era fort and some old mosques.

Tbilisi, Georgia has a really interesting city center. The buildings are old and some are literally half falling apart but it's fascinating. It might be the most interesting city that I've visited actually.

Florence, Italy may be the most beautiful city I've visited though, or maybe Sienna. Sienna is like a preserved city from the Middle Ages.

The ugliest city I've visited, maybe Qiqihaer in China. I didn't find many redeeming qualities there. Harbin, China has a Russian style city center but I found most of the city ugly and dirty as well.

Come to think of it, New York City has lots of really great Victorian era buildings in many neighborhoods. I really liked coming back to New York after 2 years in China where so many identical rows of apartment buildings is the norm.

Beijing has some interesting old neighborhoods in the city center but a lot of China is rows of identical apartment complexes, at least from what I've seen.

Ugliest: London (too colourless)

Most Beautiful: Niterói, Brazil/Rio de Janeiro, Brazil/Roses, Catalonia/Biarritz, Aquitaine

Prettiest: Coimbra, Portugal.
Ugliest: I Don't know. I'd say Toronto, but my motivation would probably just be bigotry. At it did look like a fairy castle travelling towards on the highway, at night.

Pics, or it did not happen!

Prague is the most beautiful place I have ever been and probably the most beautiful city in the world. Left almost untouched by WWII and the Cold War, this city is truly amazing.

most beautiful I've been, Oxford (although, a bit small...). I would say Bath but too small to count. I liked Cambridge, Mass as well, and the old part of Quebec (the rest of the city is ugly though)

ugliest - London

wow, no one cited Paris yet? Am i too french thinking there's something wrong?

as a parisian, i will cite cities others than Paris...

Ugliest: well, without going to poor town (wouldn't be fair), London (too much gray), Durban (you guys seriously needs an architect) and Le Havre (especially a cold sunday in november at night...)

Most beautifull: Cape Town, Venice, Barcelona

Fun (for lack of a better word) story about Berlin: I visited it a few years ago in a university trip and our german teacher was guiding us in the city, mainly through all monuments and sites related to WWII and the wall (memory church, remnants of the wall, parliament that had been burned, places were there are still bullets holes...)
We felt the weight of history on our shoulders. Finally we get on the place with the opera where there is a library IIRC. Buildings made by Friedrich II mainly.
As our teacher explain us how good old Fred imagined the place, i was thinking "finally, a place without historic facts from WWII and cold war".
That's when i heard the teacher: "...and this place is where Autodafé usually took place!"

wow, no one cited Paris yet? Am i too french thinking there's something wrong?

yeah, should have mentioned Paris too - my problem is I don't like big cities at all no matter how nice they are. I just don't like that many people in one place. But as large cities go, Paris was nice.

I've only been to two cities in my lifetime, so that means it comes down to Chicago and Washington D.C.

And I think most people on this forum know the answer already ;)

Paris is impressive and imperialistic(in a good way) but doesn't have the spectacular colour of Central European and Italian Cities.

Quebec City and Montreal are good looking. Most Rust Belt cities are about as bad as it gets. That and anyplace in New Jersey. Most of Hartford is ugly as sin. But there are a few scattered gems within it.

Judging from first hand experience.

Most Beautiful: St. Petersburg, Budapest
Ugliest: Oakland, Berlin

I haven't been to some often cited beautiful cities, nor have I been to many ramshackle developing country cities so its from a rather thin pool to choose from. The person I travelled to St. Petersburg said it was like Prague on a grander scale though.

I don't think I been to any city that could be described as beautiful.

Ugliest place might be Port Talbot, if that counts. At one time it was so bad that one person described it as being like Mordor. The only real city that I ever been to is probably Bristol, which would probably count as ugly.

Beautiful: I liked Rome, London, Münich (only been there during the Oktoberfest though, that might influence things), Oxford, Durham
Ugly: Chicago

Top Bottom