Ugly Palace Contest

Dinorius R.

Somnambulist
Does anyone else try to deliberately build aesthetically displeasing Palaces while playing Civ III? I'm hoping this one is so ugly it will repel any would-be invaders. However, I'm sure I could do better than this, my first anti-Palace...

Attachments

• my ugly palace.jpg
    my ugly palace.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 670
Hihi,in fact it looks better than the mess the game comes with :lol:

The palaces look absurd,was looking forward to building Maya temples,medieval castles and so on.Instead I find my Maya temple right at the top,with a stair leading up fr nowhere,how do they get up there? :crazyeyes

I was going to do a palace like this deliberately, after one of my palaces got screwed up. I was the Americans and decided to build a European type palace instead of the Native American type. I had most of the palace built, then for some reason the building type switched back to the original one by default and I didn't know it, so I had one piece that was totally out of place :mad: .

Your Right !!! I've seen better looking bordellos in Tijuana !!!:lol:

:lol:

Good post. heh.

Is there a way to turn the palace off? Maybe I'm unusual in this regard but I don't give a crap what my palace looks like.

Originally posted by Bamspeedy
I was going to do a palace like this deliberately, after one of my palaces got screwed up. I was the Americans and decided to build a European type palace instead of the Native American type. I had most of the palace built, then for some reason the building type switched back to the original one by default and I didn't know it, so I had one piece that was totally out of place :mad: .
Whenever you reload, either from starting again the next day or to foil the evil AI, the palace style reverts to the civ specific style.

Originally posted by Chicken_Salad
:lol:

Good post. heh.

Is there a way to turn the palace off? Maybe I'm unusual in this regard but I don't give a crap what my palace looks like.

When the popup comes that your people admire etc... you can press Esc. I think thta after 3 or 4 times of that the games skips the message entirely

I'm glad someone started this thread.

Of all the things I hate about Civ III, this is low on the list. But those palaces are all UGLY. :vomit:

I actually think the European one, at least, is pretty cool looking.:cool:

Originally posted by Dirk Aurel
Instead I find my Maya temple right at the top,with a stair leading up fr nowhere,how do they get up there? :crazyeyes

Duh! It's obvious they go in through the main entrance, take the elevator up a couple of floors and voíla! Your Mayan people are set to worship any god they please. :cooool:
Didn't you know that? That's how I got the the top of El Castillo when I went to Mexico a couple of summers ago. ;)

My 1st and second floor are usually the European Castle and then my 3rd and 4th floor the Oriental Castle. That way my home has a no-nonsense foundations and entrance AND a luxury penthouse suite :)

I wasn't intending this thread as an anti-Firaxis jibe, in fact I think the palaces you can build in Civ III are quite nice if you stick to a consistent theme.

I just like to see what kind of mess I can make and was hoping that others would post their assymetric or ugly designs too, just for a bit of fun (remember fun?). But sadly it seems I'm the only bunny out there who deliberately sets out to make shocking-looking palaces!

I agree with chicken salad on this subject; all palaces suck, in fact i think the whole game kinda sucks its just a re-make of civ 2, I'm a bit let down at the moment , i payed my hard earned money for the game and shoulda just stuck with what i new was best.:mad: and selous I know you have'nt posted any threads to this subject but i know you will, i think your attitude needs an adjustment.
p.s thanx for nothin Sid

when its time to update the palace,I press X.
An absolutely useless,stupid feature of the game.Even worse than the civ2 throne room.Total waste of space.

...I don't know,I kind of like it! In fact, I was thinking how cooler it could have been if they made it more interactive-like or more animated,kinda like the leader's portraits. Just a few frames, the clouds moving, tree leaves falling, birds flying around e.t.c...I wish it was something like an active desktop wallpaper...

i think this is a great idea for a thread. sadly, in my current game i was too lazy to mess around with the palace, so i have to wait till i start a new one before i will be able to post the ugliest palace ever.
i'm looking forward to it :p

I enjoy the palace routine. You don't, that's fine, don't mess with it, just keep hitting return and soon enough the game won't bother you with it anymore.

I'm about tired of all these assh*les telling us what a f*cked up game this is. Uninstall the bastard and go back to pounding your pud on the toilet.

Top Bottom