Uh oh! Thats a lot of Barbarians!

Nice story!

Now imagine if the barb camp would have spawned next to horses...

If only the main AI civs could manage a siege like this, not just shuffling around the city.

Heh. Turns out Arminius is a bigger threat to Rome than Hannibal :3

If only the main AI civs could manage a siege like this, not just shuffling around the city.

This is absolutely right! Barbarians are programmed to be hyper-aggressive, while the AI is programmed to avoid taking too much damage. As a result the AI's performance is much weaker! If the AI behaved like barbs, it'd be a better game.

This is absolutely right! Barbarians are programmed to be hyper-aggressive, while the AI is programmed to avoid taking too much damage. As a result the AI's performance is much weaker! If the AI behaved like barbs, it'd be a better game.

You know, I would find it incredibly amusing if barbarians and opposing leader(s) received the wrong AI with the leader AI going to the barbarians and vice versa.
At least then I could excuse the ineptitude of the computer controlled leaders. ;)

Just came here to ask about this. I'm trying to win my first deity game, and a barb camp has spawned just south of my city in the early game. I've got three archers, but the camp is spitting out a swordsman Every. Single. Turn. Even with the fire of the wall and all the archers, I can't stop them. Is that supposed to happen?

This is a situation where 'Great General Boudicca' would have been useful.

I think the game roll's barb aggressiveness at the beginning of the game. Ive had games where they dont do anything and games where half the A.Is are stuck with 1 city at t200 with all of there tiles pillaged. Ive always played game with the same map but different random seed and had different levels of barbyness.

You know, I would find it incredibly amusing if barbarians and opposing leader(s) received the wrong AI with the leader AI going to the barbarians and vice versa.
At least then I could excuse the ineptitude of the computer controlled leaders. ;)

I've been wondering if a new AI for war was introduced with the barbs and it just hasn't been implemented for civs yet.

I feel like this is the major cause of it as well. If the AI acted more like barbarians when it came to war then they might be more of a serious threat.

The more I hear about Barb aggression the more tempted I am to break my vow to wait for a key for the Complete edition to come on Polish eBay for £20

Just came here to ask about this. I'm trying to win my first deity game, and a barb camp has spawned just south of my city in the early game. I've got three archers, but the camp is spitting out a swordsman Every. Single. Turn. Even with the fire of the wall and all the archers, I can't stop them. Is that supposed to happen?

Woo! I reloaded and parlayed this camp into my first Deity win. I simply targeted a religious victory instead of domination. I built a Holy Site near my city and picked the pantheon belief that gave 50% of the strength of any units killed within 8 tiles of a Holy Site as Faith. I built Holy Sites in every city, picked appropriate religion awards that made Missionaries cheaper, along with an extra spread (Mosque), and simply rushed him with Missionaries. It was over about 5 turns after I founded my religion. Got 7 achievements out of it.

Where is the honnor tree ? Shame you don't have a policy that gets you culture from barbs

thats why i like gorgo by the way

Yes, rather rude surprise isn't it? Consider yourself lucky!

On my Deity game by the time I found the barb camp it had spawned two spearmen and five horsemen. It was impossible to use archers against, it killed my scouts, spearmen, and two archer groups immediately. I had to build three spearmen and leave them on fortify in my city to tank the barbs. Then I carefully advanced with four spearmen and the archers behind, if I left a single gap in the line the horsemen would make a run at the archers. Utterly irritating at first but it got to be pretty fun, and far more of a challenge than the AI ever was that game. I lost count of how many more horsemen it kept spawning before I finally finished it off.

why can't the AI play like the barbs it's like they put all their effort into making barbs and forgot about the damned AI's?!

In this state the AI doesn't mean a threat at all. Their sieges are pathethic. Doesn't upgrade units. Can't manage overseas invasions. This makes the game way too easy. Played on king (continents), than emperor (pangea), now on immortal (islands) and conquering AI cities feels like cheating.​

In my current game, Japan actually got wiped out by barbarians. Didn't even know capitals could be razed but I guess barbs are an exception to that?

In this state the AI doesn't mean a threat at all. Their sieges are pathethic. Doesn't upgrade units. Can't manage overseas invasions. This makes the game way too easy. Played on king (continents), than emperor (pangea), now on immortal (islands) and conquering AI cities feels like cheating.​
Try this: https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/ai.25439/

Top Bottom