1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Uh oh! Thats a lot of Barbarians!

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by budweiser, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Barbs are an exception to the restriction on razing original capitals.

2. chazzycat

chazzycat Deity

Could you please inform deity Frederick?

He surrounded my cap with warriors before I could get a builder out, I couldn't even improve a single tile. Took me out 2 turns later

3. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Emperor

The high level AI can be really dangerous if they can attack you early with warriors (even on Immortal). Unfortunately if you get past the first 20-25 turns alive, you are pretty much out of troubles. As soon as you have archers AIs are almost no threat except for some unusual Chariot rush. The entire threat from the AI is limited to the very early game and only occurs occasionally (AI need to be close to you and find you early to select you as a target).
    The result is that occasionally and mostly randomly, you'll get crushed by an unstoppable ruch before T30, and the vast majority of the games, the AI will just be useless.

Still very early in the game's life so i have hopes. It will improve.

Heklios likes this.
  4. Mathias Rex

Mathias Rex Chieftain

As Lord Yanaek says, sometimes early rushes by AI can be dangerous. The problem is that after surviving those early rushes, AI almost never declare war after early ages because of warmonger penalty inbalance. And when it declares, never can make a decent siege.

5. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

Barbs can be menacing alright, but in my game a city-state (Toronto) razed Sparta to the ground. WTH Gorgo? Now that requires skill to manage to lose your capital to a city-state...

6. Francis Xavier

Francis Xavier Chieftain

It's crazy how much the AI putters around on deity. Early on in my deity games I'd rush build science to catch up and win. Now I just rush build production and some culture and let science take care of itself. AI still loses fast. They definitely can't handle a siege or performing a siege. Although, the diplomacy system isn't bad to deal with. Every game I've played I've ended with a few allies and such, even heavy warmonger games (Sparta loooves a good warmonger).

7. Silverdawn

Silverdawn Prince

At T22, it says you finished archery. So why did you not upgrade the slinger to an archer and then build another archer or warrior? Still working on a builder seems pointless and you couldn't use it with that many barbarians.

8. budweiser

budweiser King of the Beers

This was Immortal. On T22, Paris was already damaged. I needed to shoot the slinger every turn, could not afford a turn to upgrade. With so many barbs out there, there was no way another unit could be built before the issue was decided one way or another.

9. alpaca

alpaca King of Ungulates

Why didn't you use those cars from your last screenshot to scare the barbs away?

10. Francis Xavier

Francis Xavier Chieftain

Starting build of slinger, slinger, slinger/builder, warrior/slinger before archery is good for preventing this!

11. Lord Yanaek

Lord Yanaek Emperor

Hey, if it makes you feel better i just had this with an Immortal game as Russia. Started exploring roughly in circles around my capital with the warrior, going N then turning clockwise. When the warrior was just south i saw a barb scout coming from the west so i hurried through tundra hills in that direction while starting a slinger. When the warrior found the camp there were already 3 warriors and 1 slinger heading towards my capital. This game ended just like yours :hammer2:
    The camp was probably something like 6 tiles from my capital so if i had scouted counter-clockwise i would have found it before any spawn and destroyed easily.
    Yep, and 95% of the games you'll just end up with way too many slingers and late on everything else with no chance at Religion, delayed expansion and culture progression. So unless you plan to zerg-rush some neighbor (before even knowing you have some close neighbors) i don't think it's really useful to focus only slingers early. And then, even when you get one of those 5% games with a very close and aggressive barb camp, you might just have horsemen spawn and then your slingers are all dead.

I guess we just have to accept those losses like being squad-wiped on Operation Gatecrasher when that stupid Sectoid makes one of your rookies panic and kill a teammate for those that played XCom2. Firaxis obviously loves those random early game-overs:gripe:

12. Francis Xavier

Francis Xavier Chieftain

I've found that unless you're going for Religion on Deity / Immortal, the 3 slinger starting build is excellent, with or without a neighboring civ. A) Easy Archery boost B) Insanely cheap upgrade to Archers (like 30 gold on standard) vs. build time of an archer C) if you have an early neighbor you can take them out (this game has a ridiculous ROI for early war) D) Invade a local city-state if you want E) Failing that the AI tends to not early war against you / for a while because you have military.

The only start this delays on Deity / Immortal is going for a Religion, which is an all-out mad dash and comes with the barb uprising / hard early war risk.

In other words, you have A LOT of flexible options with just 3 slingers (archers, really, the idea is to get them before archery) and two warriors that the other starts generally don't start. The only time I won't go 3 slingers is if by the time the second one is done I know I'm safe, i'll go builder.

13. SirSaab

SirSaab Warlord

One thing I have noticed about barb camps is that, because the AI civs are programmed to avoid damage (a sign mentioned by a previous poster), they often leave barb scouts alive. I have seen non-stop waves of barbs in somebody games, and i suspect it is because multiple scouts keep summoning raiding parties. It doesn't help that raiding parties sometimes seem to be summoned the moment a scout reaches your borders, rather than after reporting back.

I do agree that the AI should behave a bit more like barbs.