UHV as the only way to win

BenZL43

awkward cat
Is it possible to have the game with UHVs the only way to win the game ? It could make the AIs try harder and more serious to achieve their UHV.. And will do anything, including power or whatever to make sure they fulfill the requirements for UHVs..
There'll be less AIs that will let go their UHVs to do anything else that's not historical..

--This is just my thought hehe--

As recently brought up in another thread, the AIs don't try to achieve UHVs at all. Nor, arguably, should they, since UHVs aren't about civs competing with each other they're about the human civ trying to meet a set of objectives. Also, I'm no expert, but I think it would take a pretty serious (and difficult!) overhaul of the code in the DLL to make the AI aware of its historical goals.

The only realistic way to make the AI achieve the UHV on a regular basis would be to script it. But then the goal of the human player becomes collapsing every single rival before they do so - not to achieve his own UHV.

There's also the problem that if you design UHV's to be achieved by an AI, they'd be more than trivial for the player (or else you'd have to design an AI that's as good as a good player, which sadly isn't possible). I like the current approach more - UHVs being challenging in that you don't have to achieve them first, but to achieve them at all.

I concur, I also like that they try and represent the Civs goals and desires more than there actual achievements. Although I too have a certain dislike of all those circumnavigation goals.

I'd also like to point out that the AI doesn't even understand most of the built in victories, much less ones added through python. AFAIK, the only victory type the AI will actively try for is Culture, though they may stumble across the others.

Well the ai does win the babylonian and mayan u-aitch-vees once in a while, see also musa's uhv. + i had greece and suryavarman win it, once in like 200 starts egypt does it
Stalin and japan can win and they do sometimes, however their victory cannot be considered completely fair as there inevitably begins a human intervention wwhich affects it through the butterfly effect. Turkey, willem...

I have seen the AI going for space and domination victories in regular BtS quite often, actually.

I'm not exactly an expert in AI code, but according to several discussions, it seems to be true that the AI will only go for Culture. Space and Domination are often stumbled upon, however. The AI doesn't actively plan to reach the Domination %, but can reach it if it wars enough and will just build space parts when it can, just like other Projects and buildings.

IIRC, it will occasionally actively plan for a Culture Victory, can stumble onto Space, Domination, Diplomatic (this one is especially bad, because the AI just picks its resolution at random), and Time. Conquest is not often seen, because the AI won't war early, and later in the game it is more likely to reach Domination. In addition, the Human player would have to be the last player conquered, or you wouldn't see the end of the game anyways.

Top Bottom