1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

UK Election aftermath

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by ParadigmShifter, May 8, 2010.

?

What's best for Britain now?

Poll closed May 15, 2010.
  1. Con/LibDem coalition

12 vote(s)
    18.2%
  2. Rainbow coalition pick from Lab/SDLP/LibDem/SNP/Plaid/Greens

22 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Minority Conservative government

21 vote(s)
    31.8%
  4. Should be a new election ASAP

11 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. Krill

Krill Deity

I can really see Clegg going balls out and going for the Lib/lab coaltion, but demanding that PR gets implemented as the first optional bill after the Budget, then getting a new election. If he agreed to another coalition after the next election under the new rules, it would probably be the best Labour can do in the next few years.

The question is, would Labour go for it? Would they be willing to relegate themselves to being the middle party?

Never mind the chances of it working, really need PC and SNP to agree to is, and they would have to rig it so that it was a regional PR at the very least.

The other thing that I can see happening because I don;t know how smart Clegg is, is that he does side with the Tories like a retard.

2. Munch

Munch Benevolent Despot

3. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

Lembit Opik is getting pretty miffed with John Redwood on R5 now.

Labour have promised a referendum on changing the voting system.

It's still a pretty dodgy move politically though I think.

4. ParadigmShifter

5. Krill

Krill Deity

Ultimately, it all comes down to how scared the parties are of a second election...and everyone forgets that it gives Labour a chance to get a new leader, and see what they could do with him.

6. Munch

Munch Benevolent Despot

I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a revolt in the Lib Dem ranks if Clegg signs up with Cameron, and Clegg must be aware of this. So I think he's just 'doing the right thing' by entertaining Cameron now, and will reject his offer in the next few days, opening talks with Labour. Then, I think this rainbow coalition has a chance ...

7. ParadigmShifter

Him or her ;)

(But please not Harriet Harman, that would be dreadful, so him then ;)).

LibDems probably most scared of another election, they have spent most of their money. Labour got a £250,000 donation yesterday though I think I read somewhere. That's peanuts though compared to the Tory wad.

8. ParadigmShifter

Remember he needs the support of 75% of the parliamentary party and 75% of the grassroots. (Otherwise he has to have a special emergency conference and get 2/3rds of the vote of the entire party, which isn't going to happen.)

9. Krill

Krill Deity

That was why I said him ;)

Now that is good news, and makes me much more hopeful that Clegg has balls of steel.

10. lithium30

lithium30 Warlord

The rainbow coalition is a pipe dream there is only 3 options.

1) Conservative minority government

2) Lib Dems Sell out to the Torys

3) We have another election

An alliance of the 2nd and 3rd partys in the uk plus the third party in scotland the joint third party in wales and the third party in ireland has no right to govern.

I am a huge Labour supporter and I am a member of the Labour Party and we lost this election and to try to carry on with dodgy coalitions which would give the nationalists in Scotland and Wales disproportional power that flies in the face of Democracy.

Gordon must go and the Labour party must rebuild but it must rebuild in opposition, this desperate clinging to power is disgusting.

11. ParadigmShifter

Who do you think should replace Brown?

I like Brown but most of the country don't seem to :(

12. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

My respect for him went up enormously after the recent Have I got News for You. The fact he went on the day after losing his position and took the grief made me a little sad he isn't in Parliament again.

I remember my dad telling me that he met Gordon Brown (some financial related thing) when he was still the Chancellor and him commenting how clever and on the ball he was. I think he has done the best with what he has been given and managed to stop the Tories gaining a majority government can be seen as quite an achievment after the past few years.

People seem to be promoting Milliband as a leader under a lab-lib coalition but i doubt he'd say yes, i feel it's all or nothing for him.

13. ParadigmShifter

Brown's problem is charisma. He's a serious politician and was a refreshing change from Blair.

It's sad he bottled calling an election when he was in his honeymoon period.

EDIT: He's finished now though. Too toxic.

14. BCLG100

BCLG100 Music Master

Well that and when he smiles he makes babies cry.

15. lithium30

lithium30 Warlord

Having looked at the polls Gordon was right not to call an election then as the "Brown Bounce" didn't last long.

Imagine the banking crisis happening and David Cameron in charge of the country at the time.... Scary thought isn't it.

16. ParadigmShifter

Yeah but bottling it made him seem weak.

It would have been a better result for him than on Thursday.

17. Darth_Pugwash

Darth_Pugwash wobble wobble

I don't mind Brown... I certainly prefer him to the Groovy Dave Affability Simulating Bot.

18. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

Question: Is their list MP's in Britain? It sounds like some Minister lost his local seat and is now out of Parliament. In New Zealand the Ministers are normally high up enough in their partys, that even if they lose their local seat they will still get in as a list MP. Like if John Key lost his local seat next time, he would still probably get in as Nationals Number 1 list mp.

19. ParadigmShifter

No lists. It's first past the post on a constituency basis.

EDIT: They'll get a cushy by-election as soon as one becomes available though. Or they could just get their nice pension and retire ;)

20. stormbind

stormbind Retenta personam!

I have a feeling that LibDems could have done a lot better if they had committed themselves to supporting a Labour minority before the election. The trouble with Clegg was that no voter knew quite what they were going to get. I think this may have fueled indecision among anti-Conservative voters.

That's another reason why I want to see a second vote.