1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

UK facists Win seats in European Parliament

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Grimz101, Jun 7, 2009.

1. ZB2

ZB2 New wave Ideology

Haha thats fantastic. He's only got one eye too, from a shooting incident in France some years ago. Shame he wasn't grape-shotted whilst there, would've saved us all the trouble.

2. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

First of all, 1% of GDP is not small... 1% of GDP means around an extra 2% to our tax bills.

Secondly, of course the benefits outweigh the disadvantages -- but there are disadvantages, and the CAP is easily the biggest, most expensive, and most hideous, perverse mind numbingly idiotic disadvantage. Denying that there are costs to the EU -- especially one that costs half of the EU budget -- for the sake of some "common identity" or "unity" BS is nothing more than politically correct twaddle.

3. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Spare me of this rant, I've never defended CAP and I don't plan on doing that in the future. I don't even want anybody to deny that CAP is stupid, so spare me of your strawmans too.

As I explained in one of my previous posts, the problem is not that Britain criticizes CAP, many people all over Europe do that, the problem is that Britain will never be happy with anything the EU does, if it includes more integration. Britain has a very different idea about how the EU should be organized, one which is not shared by other member states.

We're slowly reaching the point where Britain has to decide whether it wants to continue in the process of European integration, or not. If it's the latter, than the most logical thing for Britain to do is to leave the EU and negotiate some sort of priviledged partnership. Unless of course you want to stall and sabotage the process...

4. Mise

Mise isle of lucy

When half the EU budget goes on farm subsidies that everone criticises, don't you think it's time to put the brakes on further integration and further expansion, and focus on the issues, flaws and idiocies that already exist in the EU, rather than creating whole new ones? I mean, honestly, half of the EU budget gets basically thrown down the drain... is it any wonder that we're distrustful of further integration, when the integration we've already experienced has delivered such ludicrous and wasteful expenditures?

5. jessiecat

jessiecat Divine Monarch

My comment was obviously not meant to educate you, was it? Perhaps you didn't notice the sarcasm smilie.
    So a little less aggression and rudeness from you might be in order, don't you think?:)

And as far as our both living in England, that depends on your point of view.

6. HannibalBarka

HannibalBarka We are Free

There are eurosceptic in every big european nation, here in France if you adds up all openly anti-europe parties, you'll end up above 30%. The thing is the EU cannot be imagined without those big nations (UK, Germany, France, Italy, etc). so there is no point calling for the "like it or leave it" because every one should leave in that case. Now the EU was very often built undemocratically, weel at least not in a direct democratic way. Just look to the last Constitution circus. Every time french people needed to vote on a specific European matter they voted against it (spare Masstricht, but that was like 50.0000000000001 % yes). If the French had been consulted to vote for or against the admission of the last ten memebrs, I am not sure they would have voted them in. Now that does not mean that the project itself is not democratic, because the decision was taken by elected people (namely governments).
    About CAP, it is maybe idiotic, but agriculture is strategic, and all rich countries (and even poor ) do the same, just look to Switzarland, Japan, Korea, or the US. they subsidize their agri even worse.

7. RedRalph

RedRalph Deity

It's grim news indeed that these wankers got two seats, but their vote actually went down. We are not on the brink oof a big swing to the far right at all.

8. amadeus

amadeus Large Marge sent me

What you should measure this in is what becomes in effect unpaid work hours; those taxes you pay to support that policy are taken from you and thus taken from your time laboring.

I don't imagine you'd have too many volunteers offering to work a day or a week for free just to support the CAP.

9. GinandTonic

GinandTonic Saphire w/ Schweps + Lime

Well the UK just doesnt kick in for the CAP, but 0.5% of a working persons time equates to the average non-Brit EU worker putting in about 1.6 days a year?

10. Oruc

Oruc Reactionary

That smilie is only ever used to mock and belittle people.

11. Grimz101

Grimz101 King

I love the way the BNP criticizes for the wasteful spending commited in Europe, but if their economic policies were implemented (which are economically more left then the green party) our economy would nosedive worse than the credit crunch and the great depression combined.

Another point is that the fact BNP actually had less votes then last time.. this is really a fallacy, for this happend across every party, and if postal ballots were an option as they were for the previous election, then there is no doubt BNP vote would have gone up comparitively.

12. Imperialmajesty

Imperialmajesty Emperor

Again, why not simply have a free trade agreement? That would accomplish the same thing.

13. Imperialmajesty

Imperialmajesty Emperor

Semantics. Britain would be better served with a European-wide free trade agreement without the extraneous EU bureaucracy and redistribution towards Eastern Europe.

Eastern Europe, on the other hand, wouldn't.

14. ComradeDavo

ComradeDavo Formerly God

A stable Europe makes Britain better off. So an unstable Eastern Europe would disadvantage us in a global market.

15. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

Please enlighten me!

I don't. I like them.

16. Arsonist

Arsonist Warlord

The thing is, people in Britain see CAP, see the stupid rules on banana straightness and see the anti-democratic attitude of the EU with pushing Ireland to have a second referendum on Lisbon and the good things that the EU does gets pushed out of the spotlight

17. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

I'm not sure I understand your condescending attitude regading the importance of banana straghtness. Next, you will be suggesting we accept undersized kiwi fruit without reservation.

18. Arsonist

Arsonist Warlord

Of course a kiwi fruit must be fully sized, to find a shop in the UK who sold Kiwi fruits otherwise would be a national scandal on the scale of not letting a greengrocer continue to use Imperial mesures.

Yet the curved banana is the King of Fruits, feted across the globe for its shape, fitting into the hand like a glove and a foot. It is the banana's curve which lets it hold such a strong position in the world fruit rankings.

AND NOW THE EU WANT TO STRAIGHTEN THE BANANA!!!

Over my dead body! Next they'll tell us that Dianna wasn't killed by MI6 and that we should let in all these gay muslim asylum seeking peado-terrorists and let them turn us into Britistan and take all our jobs!!!!!

-----

An insight into the mind of a Daily Mail / BNP voters mind

19. Imperialmajesty

Imperialmajesty Emperor

Eastern Europe was stable before joining the EU. Most EE countries didn't join until around 2004.

20. Formaldehyde

Formaldehyde Both Fair And Balanced

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...12/01/AR2008120102573.html?hpid=moreheadlines