UK facists Win seats in European Parliament

And your point is?

That the EU isn't needed for stability. It isn't needed for the economic prosperity of the UK, and any economic benefits can be gained via a free trade agreement. Plus, the UK doesn't have to deal with the economic redistribution to the East along with the influx of easterners.

Another point is that the fact BNP actually had less votes then last time.. this is really a fallacy, for this happend across every party, and if postal ballots were an option as they were for the previous election, then there is no doubt BNP vote would have gone up comparitively.
Erm... postal ballots were an option. I voted by post, which I now regret as I live in the Yorkshire and Humberside area (and voted for the South West area).

That the EU isn't needed for stability. It isn't needed for the economic prosperity of the UK, and any economic benefits can be gained via a free trade agreement. Plus, the UK doesn't have to deal with the economic redistribution to the East along with the influx of easterners.
Its some safety net for economy. For example if Hungary would refuse join EU, angry EU countries should not help them in financial crisis and it should be second iceland. For small countries it should be quite useful, but it should also produce lack of responsibility.

Eastern Europe was stable before joining the EU. Most EE countries didn't join until around 2004.
A lot of the stability was driven by the reforms required to join the EU and the prospect of prosperity.

Look at the areas that are not close to joining yet - the Balkans and countries like Moldova, the Ukraine and Belarus. On the borders of the EU but not exactly stable.

I don't view this as any sort of movement towards all the policies set out by either the BNP or the UKIP or any fringe group. Some percentage of the vote will tend towards them.
What it comes down to is the 'conventional parties', and I dislike using the inverted commas there, understanding the mood of the electorate and harnessing that in a manner that does not tend towards self defeating extremism.
Given the fact that only those particularly inclined have voted, it is a matter of being able to sound out the new ground and take it properly, before those who do not matter engage it on terms that they really should not have.
People are disengaged and sick and tired of more of the same; that is why dalliances occur. It is up to all three major British parties to pull their heads out and really engage with what people feel are their real concerns.
The way to defeat an extremist group is not to deny them anything, but in these circumstances to take them on fair and square and defeat them with the power of relevant and cogent arguments. Everyone on the general side would be in favour of using the system validly and with propriety.
Whether this path is taken is a different matter.

A lot of the stability was driven by the reforms required to join the EU and the prospect of prosperity.

Look at the areas that are not close to joining yet - the Balkans and countries like Moldova, the Ukraine and Belarus. On the borders of the EU but not exactly stable.
\

Those countries have been in such a sorry state for centuries.

Granted, the reforms required to join the EU is a very good argument. However, it still doesn't explain why Britain should be a member.

Top Bottom