UK Politics - BoJo and chums

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have not got time to read the wikipedia
article and its references, you might do so later.

Ah - pity. His wiki article doesn't actually mention his sexuality, nor have I seen it mentioned anywhere. Indeed it's low profile enough you have to go digging for a passing reference to his husband. Almost gave you credit for a good typo there. Disappointing.

Nothing, but it may impact whether people would get out of bed to vote for him.

You are suggesting he was picked for his role mainly because being openly homosexual will have a positive impact in the polls?

Ah - pity. His wiki article doesn't actually mention his sexuality, nor have I seen it mentioned anywhere. Indeed it's low profile enough you have to go digging for a passing reference to his husband. Almost gave you credit for a good typo there. Disappointing.

It mentions his husband..

Personal life
Lightwood lives in the Calder Valley constituency with his husband.

@ Aiken Drumn

Thank you.

If it had been a decent length article, I doubt that I would have noticed that detail.

The first referenced article in that short wikipedia entry implies that he was put
in as a candidate by Labour central office instead of a local person.

While some may argue that the candidates' sexuality is or ought to be irrelevant, I note
that both by elections were caused by sitting MPs getting into trouble with their sexuality.

Labours vote in Tiverton dropped by 16%. The LibDems only increased by 14%. I don't think the LibDems could have won without Labour voters switching to them.
In Wakefield the LibDem vote only dropped by 4% and there weren't that many of them anyway.

The Tories have now lost 4 out of the last 5 byelections with a swing of over 20% against them on average. You'd have to go back to 1992-1997 for a worse string of byelections for them.

I do wonder whether there is some sort of deal in place between the higher ups. Wakefield is obviously a Labour seat not a liberal one. But Tiverton was a bit more interesting. Liberals after all came 3rd in the last election, so why Liberals and not Labour? Is it because historically the liberals have been the second party?

Cornwall and Devon were staunch Liberal hang-outs prior to 2015, so presumably this is historical feeling reasserting itself.

Are you conflating being homosexual, to someone who was jailed for sexually assaulting a child?

No.

And it really does not matter what I conflate (or do not conflate), because I do not live in
either of those constituencies; but some of the Wakefield voters might have done.

As said before Simon Lightfoot got 13,166 in 2022, less than Mary Creagh 17,925 in 2019.

And I was exploring the question as to why that is so.

Cornwall and Devon were staunch Liberal hang-outs prior to 2015, so presumably this is historical feeling reasserting itself.

Well the Liberal democrats nearly won there in 1997, so there may be something in that.

Labour candidate in Wakefield won yesterday with less
votes than the Labour candidate who came second in 2019.
Terrifying.
People lose interest in elections and want to have as little hassle with government as possible.
Also there's growing disinterest in such a polity as the British one which is reaching (again I refer to H.G. Wells) a point where it just cannot justify why it should require any additional effort of its subjects who are not, in even a nominal sense of the word, citizens.
Are you conflating being homosexual, to someone who was jailed for sexually assaulting a child?
Join the PIE!

Charlie on the take

UK’s Prince Charles received $3.2m from former Qatar PM

The United Kingdom’s Prince Charles allegedly received one million euros ($1m) in a suitcase for his charity from a former prime minister of Qatar, British newspaper the Sunday Times reported

The cash was one of three payments received from Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim Al Thani between 2011 and 2015 totalling about three million euros ($3.2m), the newspaper reported on Sunday.​

It's not corruption! They're discrete patrimonia all along!

The Graun says:

“A million dollars in cash stuffed into Fortnum and Mason bags, or shoved into a holdall or a suitcase, and handed over behind closed doors. This is what one might expect from a South American drug baron, not the heir to the British throne. It seems there are no lengths Charles will not go to get money for his good causes.”​

So
1) it is still something of value given in exchange for something. In the case of anybody else it would already have triggered an investigation by law enforcement.
2) the Windsors are only a couple of reigns away from when they literally were the heads of the biggest drug cartel in the world.

Woman charged with perverting course of justice told to represent herself in legal first

A woman accused of perverting the course of justice in a murder trial has been told she must represent herself in court because there is no available barrister, in what is thought to be a legal first.

Mamadou Faal has been charged with murder, and three others are charged with perverting the course of justice. One of them is Elishah Anderson, who has pleaded not guilty. She was unhappy with her barrister and was told he would not be able to continue representing her after she expressed her dissatisfaction.

However, due to industrial action, no other barrister can accept the case. With no replacement found, Judge Peter Rook QC has told Anderson, 40, that she must represent herself.

While defendants can choose to represent themselves if they wish, senior lawyers have told the Guardian they believe this is the first time a defendant has been ordered to represent him or herself without being given a choice.

Antonia Kim Charles of MTC Solicitors, Anderson's legal representative, expressed concern about her client being told to represent herself in court.

"My client has a right to representation and to equality of arms. Both of these things are enshrined in human rights law. This is a complex case involving thousands of pages of evidence and my client's liberty is ultimately at stake," she said.

Hesham Puri, president of the London Criminal Courts Solicitors' Association (LCCSA), warned that, if ministers do not address the underfunding of legal aid, more defendants could find themselves in Anderson's situation.

"It's terrible, of course, for everyone involved in the trial, but this is the reality of how action in the courts bites," he said. "As far as I understand it, this is the first time a defendant has had to carry on with their case, regardless of whether they wish to, without legal representation - and are in the position they must then represent themselves."

He added: "This should serve as a wake-up call for how badly broken our courts system has become and the pressure to clear record court backlogs. It may not be the last time."​

Well, that's due to the barristers' strike this week. What's Johnson going to do - threaten to replace them with agency staff?

Two thoughts:

(a) (I am entitled to free legal representation. I demand a barrister. I am appointed a barrister. I sack the barrister. I am entitled to free legal representation) repeat ~ = not allowed.

(b) Elishah Anderson: = Agency staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom