1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

UK Politics - Weeny, Weedy, Weaky

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Arakhor, Jul 9, 2018.

1. really

really Deity

I think he will survive. A lot of political capital has been spent on him, but who knows. The papers did a 1 - 2 on him, land a punch, get a reaction then land a second punch with the extra trips.

The emotions are a bit different in the UK though where so many have died.

He's Boris Johnson's special adviser, not an MP, he sat in on the various science meetings and intimate lots of people. He has a lot of enemies.

2. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Yeah, I think the main cost is going to be in Johnson's in-party support. Not that I'm in any way sad to see that happen!

3. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

This isn't just any old adviser, of course. This is the man oft regarded as Johnson's puppet-master, who was intimately involved in the Govt's entire coronavirus response. There is no way on earth that Cummings didn't know what he was doing or that Johnson is somehow unaware of what happened.

4. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

Just in the past decade the Tories have managed to turn LibDem-influenced Cameron into LibDem-less Cameron, then swapped him for Treeza May and her for Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson. It's clearly a downards direction. What's next?

5. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

the decaying corpse of a fascist

6. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

The body builder Dominic Raab

7. Cloud_Strife

Cloud_Strife Deity

inbred aristocrat 2 electric boogaloo

8. Arakhor

Or Michael Gove, who has long desired to be leader himself.

9. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Gove IIRC is not so dedicated to a "full Brexit" as Raab
    When Brexit is fully "done", after a not extended transition period, yes, Gove is a candidate as well.

10. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

In the short term Dominic Cummings may survive, but I don't think it will be for very long.
    A great many backbench conservative MPs don't like him and one spoke out on TV tonight.
    Setting aside the Covid-19 quarantine busness, many MPs take the view that it is their perogative
    to bounce out a Chancellor they don't like and feel Dominic Cummings stepped on their toes at the urinal.

11. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

That Chancellor, mr Johnson, did his primary job for the Tories: the Tories did win the elections with enough surplus MPs to make governing an internal Tory affair.
    The next elections are 4.5 years ahead... an eternity in the current fast moving landscape.
    => no real need for Johnson anymore and rivalry among the Barons can start again... no need for usurping peasants like Cummings as well.
    The Chancellor is dead... long live the Chancellor.

EnglishEdward likes this.
  12. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2020/05/...ultiple-tory-mps-defy-boris-johnson-and-call/

Thing is conservative MPs take the view that to get political power in the UK; one must

(a) win the application to be Tory candidate
    (b) win the election to be MP
    (c) ingratiate yourself as a diligent backbencher for a couple of years

Sidestepping that breaks the trade union rules.

If the high flyer was polite and modest, they might overlook that,
    but the bounder doesn't even bother to smarten up and wear a tie.

Hrothbern likes this.
  13. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

TIL the English word "bounder" :)

We say ploert or patser with the p as an explosion like in "pah" to express disgust-contempt etc.

haroon likes this.
  14. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

On BoJo and Cummings:
    The Church of England: “risible”, that he had “no respect for the people”, “lacked integrity”, and risked undermining the trust of the public

Are we now in the phase of fire at will ?

15. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

The lockdown in England has included the churches.

While it was clearly necessary to suspend communal mass gatherings such as 10 o'clock sunday
    services, churches could have remained open with a limited number of visitors permitted, and social
    distancing using oneway systems and floor markers and identifying every fourth seat as available etc;
    for individuals to visit for silent prayer, most churches seem to have been completely closed down.

When I visited it on my fitness walk a fortnight ago, the Church of England Norwich cathedral was all locked up.

This is unprecedented. I don't think that churches were generally closed during medieval
    plagues, the English civil war and they were certainly not closed during WW2.

In such circumstances bishop and vicar are disinclined to overlook Dominic Cummings sins.

On a personal matter I don't find Dominic Cumming's return to his family estate in Durham
    particularly bad. Wealthy people often have several homes and it is a genuine question as
    to which one they should lock down in. I am not wealthy enough to have that problem.
    However it appears that he went tourist at Barnard Castle, and if so, that was definitely out of order.
    It is possible the PM supported him on the basis of what he told the PM he had been doing.
    If it is proved he went walkoutabout in public and didn't tell Boris, Boris & cabinet may end support.

My view is that churches should be open, but with pre-booking to a max safe number for a service.
    Thi'd mean the clerics would have to run more services at different hours and days to earn their dosh.

I am not sure what is going on at the moment, they are not that good at updating their websites.

16. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

I hope singing is not done in the church

17. Arakhor

Cummings is now half an hour late to a special statement he will be making in the Rose Garden at Downing Street, which has been compared to Monica Lewinsky making a statement on the Clinton affair from the Oval Office. Just as well we don't have over-mighty, unelected, unaccountable bureaucrats running the country ever since we left the EU, right? :rolleyes:

18. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

So what do you think it will be:

(a) I resign
    (b) FU
    (c) all of the above?

19. Arakhor

Definitely the middle option. His excuse for driving to Barnard Castle with his wife and young son (the one who desperately needed childcare, you remember?) was that he needed to test his eyesight. He drove heavy machinery at high speed for an hour to test his frigging eyesight!

20. Arakhor

Even if that clearly risible excuse were true, he drove for an hour to sit in the countryside with his family for just 15 minutes, a clear breach of the exercise instructions stipulating that exercise must last longer than the drive you took to take the exercise. He then apparently decided to return to work and drove back to London, thereby again unilaterally deciding that he was too important to be locked down.