1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

UK Politics - Weeny, Weedy, Weaky

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Arakhor, Jul 9, 2018.

1. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

Went for a walk (with shopping at request of wife) yesterday.

Old legs got tired as normal. So I stopped at my regular Cafe.
    Most customers were buying takeaway to drink outside in the fresh air.

But all the outside council provided public bench seats were taken.
    So I asked if seats upstairs inside could be used. To my surprise, they said Yes.

They charged me half price (UK gov voucher system) for a coffee and apricot coissant.

It is really bizarre. Takeaways at full price. Dining in half price.

That is a complete reverse of normality, when dining in used to cost more.

2. really

really Deity

https://goodlawproject.org/news/ppe-masks-not-fit-for-purpose/
    There is a bit of a stink off this, hundreds of millions paid to connected people for junk that can't be used.

3. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

Corruption was a significant reason why John Major's government was defeated in 1997.

4. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

I see you put your foot down and had the next-to-final say in this. ;)

5. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Corruption is a very bad habit
    And I do not understand why when leftish cabinets are in charge so little is done about it.
    I also do not understand why there are so few whistle-blowers supplying good evidence.
    I also do not believe that enough is secured in separating judicial power from the executive and parliament.
    I also do not understand why corruption is not penalised much stronger.
    (If prolonging life with 1 year of elderly people is now budgetted by the NHS at a max for example 80,000 GBP per year (the average yes-no point to continue treatment)... then for an 80 year life span, 6.4 million damage to or stolen from the public state is kind of equivalent with killing one fellow citizen)

6. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

Being a whistle-blower is very risky.

One would be fortunate if one does not get beaten up, framed, rubbed out or simply sacked outright.

There is a strong tendency to shoot the messenger.

It can kill promotion prospects stone dead and result in a de facto black listing of opportunities.

Even if people agree that the wrongdoing should be addressed, there are always influential parties who will
    say that the issue should have been sorted out discreetly internally without washing one's dirt linen in public.

How is this for a whataboutism: I heard former Spanish King is going in exile.

7. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Heroes in an army get purple hearts

Long time ago it was secured by hard battles that people with an active role in trade unions and workers councils could not be sacked just like that.

I do not think it is really the messenger principle... but that it is the "traitor" principle that protects in-group codes where this should not happen anymore.... there is a fine line there
    => that fine line must be made visible in a transparent set of considerations.
    What we need as countries is a base level protection from ordinary whistle-blowing.
    => what we need is that part of the penalty is an adequate financial compensation of the whistle-blower supported by government money when needed.
    Perhaps we need crowd-funding a foundation to prime the pump.

The only real risk I see for the bigger group like a country is that a lower treshold than now for whistle-blowing is too vulnerable for foreign and influencing eroding of general trust with well-timed juicy scandals.

But do you get trust by sweeping everything under the carpet... or by applying the existing system of normal justice ?

I think the current approach is making general trust much more vulnerable for oligarch and foreign meddling than a soundly defined base level decreasing the amount of ammo and dismantling the bombs before they blow up at the wrong time.

On that Spanish King
    Before becoming King he was in exile (from birth on ?). He hated that... => his exile now is for sure part of a proper punishment. His wife stays in Spain. His son does what he can to rescue the family business, the family company... the monarchial role.
    And yes... he was "helping" Spanish business abroad... he had the high maintenance cost of "romantic affairs"... he was that nice "invulnerable" henchman of Big Spanish Money.

We had with Prince Bernard in NL a similar case in the 60ies.
    Prince Bernard being a player always needing money for his mondaine jetset life style and also busy with business interests for Dutch Corporate.
    His wife the Queen giving him only frugal pocket money.
    Prince Bernard happy to be bribed by Boeing to encourage the Dutch government to buy military Boeing products. He had enough contacts within the army to make things happen.
    But the Queen, despite all the women in Bernard's life, defended her husband and said simply to our government: "when you touch my hubbie I will abdicate".
    And the Queen was enormously popular because she was in every way a bit naive, a bit stupid, but with the good intentions of someone floating spiritual not really part of this world.
    The verdict became that Prince Bernard had to put down all kinds of honorary functions in the army and was no longer allowed to wear uniforms. => a harder penalty hardly possible for this playboy. But the Queen hated the army anyway and accepted.

Monarchial families-companies create a strong in-group code and are therefore more vulnerable than average institutions.

8. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Deity

Old Hippy likes this.
  9. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

10. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

11. Kyriakos

Bojo robbin' the hood.

Gorbles, Samson and Old Hippy like this.
  12. Samson

Samson Deity

The kids are doing social distancing well, and BoJo is like a foot from that kid behind him...

Gorbles and Kyriakos like this.
  13. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Can't let pesky things like health guidelines get in the way of poorly thought-out PR exercises!

Samson and Kyriakos like this.
  14. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

Do we know when the photo was taken?

15. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

No more than seven days ago. Why is the date important?

It's very funny to see a complete lack of masks being enforced amongst the staff and even the PM himself in such a setting, to boot.

Kyriakos likes this.
  16. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

How very apt a child creeping Up behind the Prime Minister in UpMinister.

17. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

What's up, Minister?

I'm sorry.

18. Kyriakos

Laughing with Bojo's incompetence and still voting for him isn't a good idea. Uk has become a small version of the US :shake:

Gorbles likes this.
  19. Takhisis

Takhisis Free Hong Kong

Clearly he's trying to invoke the image of Agincourt and showing Napoleon what's what.

Kyriakos and Ajidica like this.
  20. innonimatu

innonimatu Deity

@Traitorfish called Craig Murray a conspiracy theorist. The sad thing is, he isn't. He does know about what is going on, but the conspirators are coming for him. And the scots really don't care. Craig's dream of an independent Scotland is not to be because that is a minority position there, making him one of those tragic figure. He's enough of a thorn exposing of hypocrisies of not wanting independence that both the leaders and many voters of the SNP will be happy to see him silenced, but not enough that he'll shift anything in Scotland.
    If Scotland ever becomes independent it'll be because England has kicked it out of the UK.