1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

UK Politics - Weeny, Weedy, Weaky

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Arakhor, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

America First does not mean that the US likes to be alone in military adventures.
    The size of the military support is I think not that important.

This is a traditional burden of more leftish parties (although currently the populist right-wing parties in Europe make themselves vulnerable in the same way in their endeavours to internationalise)
    They need to be firm on internationalist solidarities to feed the comfort zones within their parties, but reality is that these zones (often single issue autonomous groups/movements) are insatiable, and shift further with every room given, without realising what they do and cause in terms of antagonising broader support potential and taking away governmental manoevring room for their main political party that has a wider and inclusive political program.

But that all does not mean that Corbyn is wrong in having (as a politician and person) a clear pro-Palestinian opinion. In terms of international law it is an abomination.
    The tension I see is that he should A. not be "forced" to confess those credo's all the time (trust from his group).... and B. not doing that on his own account just to feel "happy and energised" in immerging into it.

The Rupert Murdoch press is BTW quite busy lately in the dirty dirt activities re Corbyn.

2. Takhisis

Takhisis ΑΛΗΘΩС ΑΝΕСΤΗ

Right there in the text you yourself quoted, Edward, is the top US diplomat announcing that the US government intends to interefere in the UK political process to change them or slow them down as much as they can. How is that not interfering in UK affairs?

3. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

I have not said that the USA won't interfere in UK affairs.

However his statement does not amount to stating that the
    USA will prevent Jeremy Corbyn becoming Prime Minister.

4. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

I've never understood this belief, apparently widespread in the right, that the Trump administration can just exempt itself from subtext.

5. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

I cannot see all the videos and some stuff is beyond pay firewalls.

Would you care to reproduce that exact "subtext" here.

6. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

Pompeo was reportedly asked,

"Would you be willing to work with us to take on actions if life becomes very difficult for Jews in the UK?”

To which he replied,

“It could be that Mr Corbyn manages to run the gauntlet and get elected. It’s possible. You should know, we won’t wait for him to do those things to begin to push back. We will do our level best. It’s too risky and too important and too hard once it’s already happened.”

The ambiguity of the phrasing "won't wait for him to do those things" following from "[Cornyn may] get elected" can be taken to imply a willingness to intervene in or override the British electoral process. It is at best a poor choice of words.

Personally, I'm willing to accept that this is just macho posturing from someone who didn't really understand the question. But that senior Trump officials think the internal democratic processes of friendly nations are a reasonable location for that posturing, the failures to display the exaggerated respect which Western leaders generally reserve for foreign opposition leaders, suggests that the administration feels less constrained by diplomatic norms than its allies or predecessors.

7. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

Thank you for your explanation.

Well my read in on this is that:

(A) The USA was determined to remain neutral while Afolf Hitler was rounding up European Jews for extermination.

(B) As a consequence to the USA being late to resist that persecution, their policy is to be much more preemptive now.

(C) I.e. If life becomes difficult for Jews in the UK, they may take action without waiting for an existing
    Islamic mayor of London or a possible Jeremy Corbyn prime ministership to act.

(D) Now what that action might be we don't know. It might mean evacuating Jews via airbases.

(E) Without knowing what that action would be, I cannot comment on its impact upon UK sovereignty.

8. Ironsided

Ironsided Flower of happiness

Maybe splitting the PLP into a Social Democratic party with Corbyn and a new New Labour with Chuka Umunna and Alistair Campbell would be a worthy idea after all? How it would work out practically I’m not sure. It would also be a gift to the other parties. However, there is a clear enough ideological line there to not stay part of the same political party. It’s becoming undeniable in this Brexit environment. Judging by comments in the Guardian there is an overwhelming majority within PLP for a Labour party that knows exactly what they don’t want. They don’t want to accept the referendum on Brexit and they don’t want Corbyn and they don’t want to support Palestine because that would be anti-Semitic.

9. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Theres also an overwhelming majority of party members that support Corbyn and Palestine but oppose Brexit. Its not as simple as Corbynistas vs. Blairites.

10. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

The anti-semitism accusation is rather ridiculous, but given they are back to that I guess the other angles aren't working.

11. Samson

Samson Chieftain

Results of 1st round of Tory Leadership contest (no leadership on display):

Seems to me quite a long shot to avoid a BoJo PM.

Hrothbern likes this.
  12. Kyriakos

^That looks terrible.
    Also, Mogg selling BoJo's "I am not trying to ban a hard-brexit, just pretend to see if anything better happens" card apparently had no cost for Mogg and Erg. Typical tory garbage.

13. really

really Chieftain

Yeah. All Johnson has to do is maintain that vote and he is in the final two and will be elected by the members.

14. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Meanwhile, Rory Stewart has been remonstrating against Johnson's "refusing to rule out" proroguing Parliament.

Number one, let’s get Boris to be straight. Does he or does he not consider locking the doors of parliament to be acceptable? That is an unconstitutional, improper, really disturbing suggestion that you try to get something through by locking the doors of parliament. Answer us. I’ve been asking for a week, ‘Boris, are you going to lock the doors of parliament?’ If so, tell people, because we want to know what kind of leader or prime minister we are voting for. But he won’t be able to. I guarantee you, if he were to try, I and every other member of parliament will sit across the road in Methodist Central Hall and we will hold our own session of parliament and we will bring him down because you do not, ever, lock the doors on parliament in this country, or in any other country with any respect in the world.

15. Kyriakos

Sounds rather pompous, though. In reality I doubt anything would happen. I just hope Boris isn't the leader, cause he is reckless and disgusting.

16. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

17. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Prorogation of Parliament and then not starting the next session is hardly normal though, especially with a new PM who hasn't won a general election and is leading a minority government.

18. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

Has Boris ever said that he is going to do that?

19. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

Word is that the ERG demanded that Boris would do that prorogation if so desired by the ERG group in that Boris-ERG meeting last week where he got their support

20. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Hrothbern likes this.