UK Politics - Weeny, Weedy, Weaky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning @Hrothbern

The way I see it there are, apart from their income, three key factors:

(1) Whether they own property outright OR rent
(whether nominally or interest only mortgage).

(2) For any individual or individual household, their
ongoing expenditure can be divided into three types:

(a) locally variable
(b) nationally variable
(c) globally variable

How poor or wealthy people are depends
upon such proportions of their expenditure.

(3) The number of dependents they have to support.

A farmer in Nothern Ireland who owns their farm can be much
wealthier than a minimum wage worker in Leicester or Bradford;
so yes, simple comparisons across regions are misleading.
Thanks to 19th century Irish nationalism and the land wars, farmers in Northern Ireland are much more likely to own their land than their peers in Great Britain where the land is still largely controlled by the aristocracy.

Good Morning @Hrothbern

The way I see it there are, apart from their income, three key factors:

(1) Whether they own property outright OR rent
(whether nominally or interest only mortgage).

(2) For any individual or individual household, their
ongoing expenditure can be divided into three types:

(a) locally variable
(b) nationally variable
(c) globally variable

How poor or wealthy people are depends
upon such proportions of their expenditure.

(3) The number of dependents they have to support.

A farmer in Nothern Ireland who owns their farm can be much
wealthier than a minimum wage worker in Leicester or Bradford;
so yes, simple comparisons across regions are misleading.

Also good morning afternoon :)
Yes

A yardstick that can be used for poor or not is whether a province is generating more tax for a national goverenment than it consumes.
All our provinces with a low average GDP per capita are lossmaking for the national government if a full cost calculation is used.
Main causes are the nation-wide same salary scales of all civil servants, all public infra like roads and provincial infra, subsidising of public transport in the low population density areas, etc, etc. On top locating national agencies to provincial capitals where possible.
If a incremental cost calculation is used the "lossmaking" is much less !
For the UK and NI
The overhead for the UK-3 needs hardly to be increased for adding NI. The UK-3 will not have less embasseys around the world or lessen the salaries of the PM and Ministers, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.
It is only money transfers of the type I described for NL rural provinces that do inflict cost for the national government. My guess for NL is that only three provinces are a true though small lossmaker and most other "poor" provinces still add money because of the scale size cost advantages for the country as a whole.

Last edited:
This looks pretty miserable tbh:

This could honestly be almost anywhere in the UK outside of Central London. (Or at least, conceding to the abundance of redbrick architecture, anywhere between the Tweed and the Avon.)

Doesn't look gorgeous, bur not miserable either. The buildings seem in very good repair. It's an inharmonious mix but some taken individually look rather nice.

I really miss trees in the streets.
Shadow, moisturing air & temperature lowering effect, catching fine particle dust, and some more soft effects not easily to prove with hard evidence.

It just looks boring, and apparently Sunderland (which it is an image of) is a rather small city as well. The metro seems to have less than 250K people. And the shape is very forgettable, imo :)

Compare with this, which has a similar population:

Comparing Mediterranean islands to Sunderland is hardly fair. ;)

Yes even the weather makes a big difference. First time I saw Paris I was like... this is it? And it gets so much praise? Damn dark city. And further north is worse most of the year. In England even the water is dark... but then again I know people who fled here to Scotland or Denmark. To each his own tastes.

I really miss trees in the streets.
Shadow, moisturing air & temperature lowering effect, catching fine particle dust, and some more soft effects not easily to prove with hard evidence.

City centres tend to lack much space for trees. But one thing I give to the english is that they know how to do really nice parks. Or at least knew... heard even the parks are being ill kept lately.

I don't mind dark. You can't really go much darker than Budapest, but it still looks cool due to the architecture.
The black sky impressed me when I went there, when I was 15 years old. I also recall the parliament.

Yes even the weather makes a big difference. First time I saw Paris I was like... this is it? And it gets so much praise? Damn dark city. And further north is worse most of the year. In England even the water is dark... but then again I know people who fled here to Scotland or Denmark. To each his own tastes.

City centres tend to lack much space for trees. But one thing I give to the english is that they know how to do really nice parks. Or at least knew... heard even the parks are being ill kept lately.

It's hard to explain but yeah even water looks different depending on where you are from.

North island it's more brown, where I grew up it was ice blue through to dark blue/green.

https://waitakinz.com/waitaki-river/

Sunderland and Corfu aren't really comparable.
277k in 137km2 vs 102k in 611 km2
The equivalent county has 1.1m in 538km2
Sunderland was heavily damaged during WWII, and could be heavily damaged again if Nissan leave Europe.

The defence money will mostly be to cover the existing deficit it rus each year.

It still looks nasty :)
But I have to suppose it is better than Barnsley.

I've only ever visited Colchester apart from London, and if you can call Colchester a city, it also isn't particularly nice. (Not that I went to the city center more than once, and the university is on a hill & I migrated to London after the first semester)

It still looks nasty :)
But I have to suppose it is better than Barnsley.

I've only ever visited Colchester apart from London, and if you can call Colchester a city, it also isn't particularly nice. (Not that I went to the city center more than once, and the university is on a hill & I migrated to London after the first semester)

Sunderland is in the poorest region of the UK and is an old industrial city.
Add to that the middle-class in the UK prefer suburban living or quasi-rustic commuter villages if they can afford them.

Sunderland has the same problem of a lot of British industrial cities, in that it's not old enough to have that rambling charm of an old European city, or new enough to have any overall plan, so the city ends up with a sort of jaggedness.

Britain, especially England, arrived at modernity in a hurry, without much preparation, and organisation of the cities often reflects that. Scotland had a little more warning, which is why the centres of both Edinburgh and Glasgow split down the centre into an old Medieval town, comprised of a few long roads with lots of little lanes threading off them, and a new Victorian town, with a regimented grid. However, while Edinburgh has kept its old town looking old, so the distinction is clear at a glance, Glasgow replaced most of its older buildings, so the street plan just seems to fall into sudden chaos, as if the planner was attacked by bees halfway through the process and they just went with it.

Last edited:
How many Mediterranean islands have won the FA Cup, eh?

I'd guess none, but then I couldn't tell you anything about the FA Cup anyway.

In some cities the medieval plan was removed by great fires. Certainly it happened here with the 1917 fire - only the upper town keeps its old plan, and that was just a type of suburb of the medieval town.
In London the removal of old blocks by the bombing during ww2 is also pretty obvious in many areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom