1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

UK Politics - Weeny, Weedy, Weaky

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Arakhor, Jul 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samson

Samson Deity

Chancellor's wife involved with tax dodging, not entered in register of ministers’ interests
    Akshata Murty owns 5% of IMM, which used structure that could reduce taxes payable in India
    The wife of the chancellor, Rishi Sunak, is a shareholder in a restaurants business that funnelled investments through a letterbox company in the tax haven of Mauritius, in a structure that could allow its backers to avoid taxes in India.
    The business, International Market Management (IMM), is hoping to build a chain of dozens of restaurants across India, via franchise agreements with the celebrity chef Jamie Oliver and the American fast food brand Wendy’s.
    The involvement of Sunak’s wife, Akshata Murty, has emerged from an investigation by the Guardian into a range of financial assets held by Sunak and his close family, many of which have not been declared in the official register of ministers’ interests.​

I do not know enough about the rules to know if this should be in the RMI, but it is not a good look for the person in charge of the nations finances.

2. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

You know what. Married women have been able to own things independently for over a century or so in the UK.

This means their husbands may not know what they own, so they can not be reasonably held responsible for reporting that.

3. Samson

Samson Deity

LIST OF MINISTERS’ INTERESTS CABINET OFFICE
    July 2020
    Categories of interest disclosed
    On appointment, Ministers are asked to notify their relevant interests in a number of
    categories.
    7. Interests of spouse, partner or close family member​

Kyriakos likes this.
  4. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

And if the partner, spouse or close family member, chooses not to tell the minister?

In reality the minister can only report on what he/she knows of and drawing up a process
    requiring on him/her to report on what is unknowable to them is a complete nonsense.

5. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

You're investing a lot into a hypothetical defense of behaviour you have no obligation to defend.

Traitorfish, aelf and Kyriakos like this.
  6. Zardnaar

Zardnaar Deity

Pills still favouring Labour?

7. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

As I understand it Sunak declared his wife's interests to the Treasury but was told he need not include them in the Register.
    This seems like bad advice considering his wife's interests include British firms, including restaurants that would have benefited from the "Eat Out to Help Out" scheme.

8. Samson

Samson Deity

How much will scotch eggs sales go up?
    Drinkers in tier two areas of England could order a Scotch egg with their pint to keep in line with post-lockdown rules, a cabinet minister has said.
    Under new restrictions from Wednesday, pubs in those high risk areas can only open if they function as a restaurant.
    And alcohol can only be served as part of a "substantial meal".
    Environment Secretary George Eustice told LBC Radio that Scotch eggs would constitute such a meal "if there were table service".​

For a change I cannot blame the government for this apparent illogicality. There will always be some odd situations either side of the line. And anyway, scotch eggs are composed of the 3 main UK food groups (eggs, cheap sausage meat and deep fat fryer oil). I reckon they will sell quite a few of these over the next few weeks.

tjs282 likes this.
  9. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

This is clearly a trick, though. Also, if they cost something like 1,2 pounds (as the thing pictured below), it should tell you they aren't substantial in any way.

That's roughly 1/3 of the price of a gyros.

Samson likes this.
  10. Samson

Samson Deity

Yeah, they are generally considered a bar snack. I wonder if pickled egg and packet of crisps will count?

tjs282 and Kyriakos like this.
  11. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Pork scratchings and a guiness must count as a meal, shurely?

tjs282 and Samson like this.
  12. really

really Deity

As some say in Ireland there's eating and drinking in a pint of Guinness.

Samson likes this.
  13. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

The level of over-drinking in northern countries is ridiculous...
    Then again something similar happens in other countries, with over-smoking.
    Russia, of course, is in both sets :p

14. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

I remember talking to a barrister once who argued that the reason why alcohol should be legal and drugs aren't is that you drink alcohol as much for the taste as the effect and I thought theres someone who hasn't spent much time in a UK town or city centre on a Friday or Saturday night.

Kyriakos likes this.
  15. Samson

Samson Deity

I have a theory, though I have no evidence for it:

Noone a priori likes booze, I mean kids generally hate it. We start drinking it as teenagers 'cos of reasons, mostly peer pressure. Drugs do what they do, and the limbic system likes it. It associates the taste with the effect and so makes us like the taste. This is analogous to the way that heroin addicts get pleasure from the experience of intravenous injections.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    tjs282, Kyriakos and AmazonQueen like this.
  16. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

As a teenager a lot of the drinks I drank were ones that hid the taste of the alcohol like vodka & orange, rum & coke, or pernod & black which fits your theory I think. Now we have alcopops for that.

tjs282, Kyriakos and Samson like this.
  17. Chukchi Husky

Chukchi Husky Lone Wolf

There's an American comedian who made a joke about how the British drink like the Americans eat.

tjs282, Traitorfish, Kyriakos and 2 others like this.
  18. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Deity

What behaviour?

And I don't regard two sentences as a significant investment of my time.

19. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Corporate influence on political positions? What do you mean, "what behaviour"? The behaviour you spent two sentences downplaying and finding alternative reasoning for! :D

20. Samson

Samson Deity

Topshop owner Arcadia goes into administration

Topshop, Burton and Dorothy Perkins owner Arcadia has gone into administration, putting 13,000 jobs at risk.
    The High Street giant has hired administrators from Deloitte after the pandemic "severely impacted" sales across the group.
    If I understand it right (which is a big if) this is less than 2.5 hours before a deadline that would have meant the taxpayer would have got more money. It is possible this would have meant less for the pension fund.

And is anyone does not know, this is another example where the owners have done very well but the pension fund is very short.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.