UK Politics - Weeny, Weedy, Weaky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this on Twitter:

BRITAIN is now officially a banana republic with constant sunshine, collapsing government, depreciation (sic) currency and a good football team.​
That's tempting fate if I ever saw it.

Technically Britain doesn't have a football team.

Well if they have another referendum perhaps.

The argument for not letting the Scots have their own team is, I understand not from the English
but, from the Olympic committee who take the view that Scotland is not an independent country.

Of course to be consistent, they ought to ban Greece on the grounds they're a 4th Reich dependency.

Well, yes, but it's the same Olympic committee that insists on having its football championships be for under-23. :shake:

The best thing is that they lost to a corrupt, right-wing party with roughly banana shaped borders.

Seriously though, England had a very good team and dominated the game for about the first hour, they just got rattled after Croatia scored and never completely recovered from that.
Happens to the best of them.

The best thing is that they lost to a corrupt, right-wing party with roughly banana shaped borders.

Seriously though, England had a very good team and dominated the game for about the first hour, they just got rattled after Croatia scored and never completely recovered from that.
Happens to the best of them.

It's coming home, it's comming home, it's coming :mischief:

(though England didn't even pass the final 8 in that old euro -not WC- :D )

THis thread title is really annoying but in a catchy way

The key dates for Britain are:

(i) 24 March 1603 when Queen Elizabeth 1 died and the Scots took over
Damn, your country is just so... YOUNG.
(iii) 29 March 2019 escape tranfer from EU domination participation to USA satellite
You made some typos, I fixed them for you :p

It's coming home, it's comming home, it's coming :mischief:

(though England didn't even pass the final 8 in that old euro -not WC- :D )

Did I miss something?
That song was made for the Euro '96, a tournment that was played in England (hence the 30 years reference to the last championship), and England made it to the semi-finals there, losing to Germany in a shootout.

THis thread title is really annoying but in a catchy way
I was wondering if anyone would comment on that. It's a joke from 1066 and All That, about how the ancient Britons misinterpreted Caesar's famous proclamation: I came, I saw, I conquered.

Damn, your country is just so... YOUNG.

Great Britain was born in 1707 and the United Kingdom in 1801, but England as a kingdom dates back to Alfred the Great's grandson Æthelstan (927 - 939).

Did I miss something?
That song was made for the Euro '96, a tournment that was played in England (hence the 30 years reference to the last championship), and England made it to the semi-finals there, losing to Germany in a shootout.

Of course. But i have seen it used as a put down to english football team aspirations in this world cup as well :D

Eg in the youtube video, there are comments like: "now it is 52 years of pain" :lol:

Great Britain was born in 1707 and the United Kingdom in 1801, but England as a kingdom dates back to Alfred the Great's grandson Æthelstan (927 - 939).
I'd say actual England dates back from 1066. Bow to your French overlords.
And I was just being purposely provocative about the age of the UK :p

William the Conqueror definitely kickstarted the evolution of modern England (and the English language as we know it today), but Alfred the Great is often listed as England's first king, with Æthelstan as the first king to rule over all Anglo-Saxons.

(Random diversion: it's similar in Scotland, with Kenneth McAlpin often credited as Scotland's first king, but it's not until his grandson Donald II that the titles King of Scotland or King of Scots are first used.)

Looks like Trump "broke protocol" with the Queen today. Am I the only republican in the #resistance?

William the Conqueror definitely kickstarted the evolution of modern England (and the English language as we know it today)
That's Bill's way all right: kicking A-S(*) and taking names.

* Anglo-Saxons.

Found this on Twitter:

BRITAIN is now officially a banana republic with constant sunshine, collapsing government, depreciation (sic) currency and a good football team.​

Just in case you don't know, bananas don't grow in the British climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom