UK Politics - Weeny, Weedy, Weaky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Robert Peston has done the sort of interview with BoJo that all politicians should get, calling him out for his lies and misinformation and even laughing at his level of dishonesty:

Age of political giants.
Meanwhile eu doesn't even try to protect Cyprus. Maybe not enough german cars sold there.

In those small narrow streets of Cyprus it does not make sense anyhow to have big German cars.
Oh.. wait... all those Russian oligarchs that pay to get Cypriot EU passports buy those cars anyway.

Can you link the article on which you base that statement in the EU thread ?
:p

And there I was thinking that we were about to break free from the tyranny of the New Roman Empire! #AD410

I is worth drawing attention here to this blog post: for many of those in the UK who complain about the quality of their MP, now is the time to act.

Robert Peston has done the sort of interview with BoJo that all politicians should get, calling him out for his lies and misinformation and even laughing at his level of dishonesty:
Why are they omitting the ‘in the lurch’ part?

From the Beeb:

King's College London sorry over royal visit student bans
King's College London (KCL) has apologised and admitted it was wrong to ban a group of students from campus during a royal visit.

The Queen and the Duchess of Cambridge visited the university's Strand Campus on 19 March to open Bush House.

One staff member and 13 students linked to campaigning groups were denied access to the campus, causing one student to fear he would miss an exam.

The acting principal said KCL's actions that day "did not meet our values".

Prof Evelyn Welch added that a report into the university's actions was "uncomfortable to read" and that the leadership team "apologise wholeheartedly".

The investigation found the university had breached its own policies regarding protection of personal information and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).

Following protests at university events on both 4 March and 18 March, police contacted the university's head of security to express concerns of an "increased risk" during the royal visit.

The card access for a list of people linked to groups including the Intersectional Feminist Society and Action Palestine was then blocked, without those individuals being told.

One student reported he was worried he would miss an exam but "fortunately" security staff reinstated his card in time, the report said.

It added that another student was late for an assessed presentation and had to "beg to the point of tears to be let in".

The day after the royal visit there were protests outside KCL's Strand Campus.

The report concluded that the Estates and Facilities team had "overstepped the boundaries of their authority".

Prof Welch said it was "clear how the decisions taken in the run-up to and on 19 March have hurt our community".

She added: "The report shows that we need to take some actions to ensure that the values we uphold are applied consistently across our organisation.

"While individuals are identified, they should not be singled out as those who were solely responsible; as such we will be looking at the systemic underlying issues that we need to address at King's going forward."​

I see that the surveillance state continues to work properly against offenders rather than criminals.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...rshire-byelection-pact-to-fight-conservatives
Pretty much the first thing a new PM will have to face is a by election in Wales.
The pro remain parties are only standing one candidate from the Lib Dems to maximise their vote. (Plaid Cymru formally backing LD, greens informally by not standing) as this is currently a conservative seat it would put the government under pressure in votes if it goes to the Lib Dems. Labour are also standing. And the Brexit party could split the Tory vote.

From that very article:

The byelection was called after voters signed a recall petition against the incumbent
Conservative MP, Chris Davies, who was convicted of submitting fake expenses
documents. The petition was signed by 10,005 people, 19% of registered voters, ......l.

The Conservatives have since announced that Davies will stand again, while the
Brexit party is also putting up a candidate, further boosting the chances of the
Lib Dems regaining a seat they held from 1997 to 2015.

Even the conservatives must know that they won't get anywhere by insulting
the electorate there by putting up the same convicted and disgraced candidate.

Cynical me thinks they've written the seat off, happy to have that alibi for failure.
But they may not have considered that such discontent may not be localised.

Interesting how UK is now relevant as a pirate too. What will taking control of an iranian tanker really accomplish for Britain, exactly?

Is there perhaps a standing order or informal agreement within EU-28 that the navies of UK, France, etc are bound to do this ?
Who supplied to the UK that info that that ship was going to Syria ?

?

Have not searched Internet sources, but:

Is there perhaps a standing order or informal agreement within EU-28 that the navies of UK, France, etc are bound to do this ?

Not to my knowledge.

Who supplied to the UK that info that that ship was going to Syria ??

Probably the USA.

Yesterday it was their turn to be kowtowed to.

Have not searched Internet sources, but:

Not to my knowledge.

Probably the USA.

Yesterday it was their turn to be kowtowed to.

Without hard info as well I would guess the same as you do

Which raises the question at which level was that US info injected in the UK system
and what are the escalation procedures... who and/or what level of the UK government authorised to act upon that info ?

Without hard info as well I would guess the same as you do

Which raises the question at which level was that US info injected in the UK system
and what are the escalation procedures... who and/or what level of the UK government authorised to act upon that info ?

Isn't the strait of Gibraltar pretty narrow? They already knew this particular ship had to change course so as to avoid using the Suez canal (due to israeli equally legal threat to sink it due to reasons) so unless it managed to fly it would use the pillars of Herakles.
What surprised me is that the Uk now is into piracy. Doesn't exactly command respect, let alone from a second-tier power (assuming it is even second-tier by now).

Isn't the strait of Gibraltar pretty narrow? They already knew this particular ship had to change course so as to avoid using the Suez canal (due to israeli equally legal threat to sink it due to reasons) so unless it managed to fly it would use the pillars of Herakles.
What surprised me is that the Uk now is into piracy. Doesn't exactly command respect, let alone from a second-tier power (assuming it is even second-tier by now).

Here a map of the territorial water of Gibraltar according to the UK House of Commons library.
The normal shipping lanes are the borderline between the Moroccan and Spanish territorial waters and going eastward from that line the borderline between the Spanish waters and the high sea.
For that ship to get into Gibraltar territorial waters it must have deviated strongly from its normal course. (would be nice to see the GPS route of Lloyds in the newsmedia)

Schermopname (3184).png

http://www.gibnet.com/fish/waters.htm

Did Kennedy get the memo about national waters? Or Putin? Or Queen Vic?

In any event it was an EU embargo and it was EU waters. Which works just fine in every other shared border in the EU.

The reality is Iran has taken a human hostage. The UK has taken a ship hostage. The deal is fairly clear, though we're going to need a really big checkpoint charlie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom