UK Politics - Weeny, Weedy, Weaky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe they should have allowed the euro mps to vote for those positions, like last time?
Or would that still be too much democracy? ;)

von der Leyen will have to survive the majority vote in the EU Parliament next week
if not she is out

Anne Widdecombe knows more about the British Empire than posters to this thread,the British Empire having being still around when she was a very young girl.

If you date the end of empire to the independence of India, then no, she doesn't, as Indian independence occurred three months before she was born. Even the Suez Crisis occurred when she was only nine, so no, she has no more inherent knowledge of empire than anyone else here.

That doesn't really make any sense because neither Germany nor France got their first picks. They were both vetoed by the Visegrad-countries.

Point noted. The rumour is that in at last one instance they plan to get around that by putting in third raters
(Ursula vaon de Leyen) with their favourites (Frans Timmersman) as their deputies all ready to take over.

Maybe they should have allowed the euro mps to vote for those positions, like last time?
Or would that still be too much democracy? ;)

I believe the European Project still has to ratify most of the non deputy posts, but there is a subtle distinction
between selecting and ratifying. Anyway this is arguably more appropriate to the European project thread..

Back to the UK, who do you all prefer Boris Johnson or Jeremy Hunt?

Oh, one other thing; thre British Empire thought that it had abolished slavery after 1833, but it appears to be backhere, thanks to the EU's freedom of movement with 400 victims around Birmingham (England, not Alabama),.

Not that you ever pay attention to such niceties, but we agitated to expand the EU to Eastern Europe and we chose to implement no restrictions whatsoever on freedom of movement.

Point noted. The rumour is that in at last one instance they plan to get around that by putting in third raters
(Ursula vaon de Leyen) with their favourites (Frans Timmersman) as their deputies all ready to take over.

I believe the European Project still has to ratify most of the non deputy posts, but there is a subtle distinction
between selecting and ratifying. Anyway this is arguably more appropriate to the European project thread..

Back to the UK, who do you all prefer Boris Johnson or Jeremy Hunt?

I prefer Boris
Most likelyhood I guess for new elections

Not that you ever pay attention to such niceties, but we agitated to expand the EU to Eastern Europe and we chose to implement no restrictions whatsoever on freedom of movement.

Speak for yourself. You may have been in favour of that. But no one asked me then.

I don't recollect the people here signing petitions or going on marches to expand the EU.

And I have never represented any greedy UK employer seeking to exploit cheap migrant labour.

I prefer Boris
Most likelyhood I guess for new elections

Likewise. Jeremy Hunt would drag things on longer.

We are, when viewed objectively, in a strange position.

Consider Chinese/Japanese/US corporate owner saying to the MD of their UK subsidiary.

We have seen your investment plan, but we cannot properly assess
it, and put it to the board, until we know what is happening in the UK.

Is the UK really going to leave the EU?

We don't know.

if if does, when will the UK leave the EU?

Well it might be 31 October this year, but it might not.

Will there be a EU-UK deal?

Well there might be

What would the deal say?

We are not sure

When will you be able to answer my questions?

I dunno.

Look, I got to go. Give me an update in 3 months.

The Investment here is tanking. In fact the only significant investments I know of are in waste
recycling plants as the money men realise there is a good ROI opportunity because other Asian
countries and African countries are refusing to take waste UK companies previously sent to China.

Last edited:
Speak for yourself. You may have been in favour of that. But no one asked me then.

No one asked me either, but it was the UK at fault each time, not the amorphous evil blob you love to blame so much.

Looks like Tommy Robinson's going down...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...pt-old-bailey-court-latest-news-a8989236.html

Looks like his defence that he 'didn't know there were reporting restrictions' didn't convince the judges that saw his video in which he said he had to be careful because "There is a reporting restriction on this case".

And his fans starting chucking beer cans at reporters as well. Classy.

Anne Widdecombe knows more about the British Empire than posters to this thread,
the British Empire having being still around when she was a very young girl.
Why would that give her any particular insight into the empire? Do I automatically know more about the Soviet Union than anyone born after 1991 because I was technically around for the tail end of it?

You cannot see the ground on which you stand

Nor can anyone else if your boots are on it.

exactly... people standing their ground cannot be tackled firmly on their axioms... that's all speculations

With human brains and outside pure mathematics,
knowledge can only be interpreted in perspective.

For example my father served during WW2. I was born a decade later.
I can read as many books as I like and search the Internet, but I can never
have the same perspective on WW2 as my father who personally experienced it.
While I can project back my learning, it is always going to be subtley wrong.
There is also often a tendency for people to selectively rework the story of
the past to serve their particular purposes and misinform those not present.
While people who live through events will only have their partial view, and are not
all knowing, living witnesses and their statements should not be discounted.

Well, it seems then that you also agree that someone who was not born when the empire ended and was only nine years old when the Suez Crisis proved beyond all doubt we were no longer an imperial power is going to have a very limited perspective (if any at all) on living in an empire.

Kate Hoey the DUP Labour MP for Vauxhall in London isn't standing in the next election.

I guess it was that or be deselected.

Is it just me who is thinking that someone within the british FO was extremely pissed off at that act of piracy in Gibraltar as a means of licking american boots, that this someone leaked those memos from the ambassador to undermine the boot-lickers in government?

All that's served is to undermine the ambassador, especially when it comes to Trump and his notoriously thin skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom