1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

UK Politics - Weeny, Weedy, Weaky

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Arakhor, Jul 9, 2018.

1. innonimatu

innonimatu Warlord

The UK cannot afford a cold war with the US. And the ambassador had a duty to resign from the moment he became a liability instead of an asset for the country. No one had to even tell him to do so, it was his duty. The whole purpose of an ambassador is to facilitate diplomatic relations, not to poison them. That he hung around a couple of days and forced politicians in the UK to take position on the issue was his failure.

He was guilty of being an incompetent buffon. Whatever Trump's problems, the guy is nowhere near having his administration collapse. Predictions that will happen have been made from the very start and he's still there. It looks to me very likely that he'll will the next election. The ambassador's evaluation of the situation in Washington was worse that useless, it was wrong and a liability to the UK.

2. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

Isn't it a pity that Brexit, not being a person, cannot have the same applied to it?

3. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Who'd have thought you'd be around to condemn him too?

4. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Tbh it wouldn't make much sense to keep the ambassador around after what he said. The US doesn't need Uk at all, but the opposite isn't true.
    Moreover, you have already alienated Russia and China, so you should maintain decent relations with the other superpower. Uk should swallow its pride if it is to at least remain strong enough to bully some smaller nations.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  5. Arakhor

The land of unicorns and universal milk and honey doesn't have time for swallowed pride. If it did, the Brexit negotiations would have been long over and we'd have left months, if not years, ago.

Kyriakos likes this.
  6. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

The real signs of vassaldom to the US, e.g. the US controlling the UK's nuclear capabilities, aren't going anywhere.

Kyriakos likes this.
  7. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

We'd be better off if we gave up doing that. Its this pretence that we are still a global power that means although we spend more on defence than our European neighbours our armed forces are always overstretched.

Traitorfish and Kyriakos like this.
  8. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Hrothbern likes this.
  9. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

10. Arakhor

Gosh. Who'd have thought that the leaks were political? What a shock!

11. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

The latest leaks are about the former ambassador saying that Trump wanted to dismantle the Iran nuclear deal just out of disliking Obama (nothing to do with the actual deal) and the whole stance being one of "vandalism". Wait, doesn't the Uk government also see Iran as SATAN? I doubt Ukip/Brexit party people like it either.
    Anyway, is there any chance at all Hunt gets the pmship? Not that I think he is any good either, but it is funny that Boris can lose even a fully rigged race, due to (apparently) more tory backstabbing. Would be ridiculous if agent Gove was behind this :lol:

12. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

UK doesn't like the Iranian government but does want to uphold the nuclear agreement made with Iran.
    I noticed that although we are sending another ship to the gulf its not going to be part of this task force the US is trying to set up. So far nobody has joined it.

Kyriakos likes this.
  13. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Warlord

I don't think they entertain it. It's almost as if "(real name Stephen Yaxley-Lennon)" is his surname.

14. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48938509

I am not sure how accurate the report is, perhaps Scottish reporting of statistics
    is more honest regarding this than in other countries, but it makes grim reading.

I have a number of theories, albeit with little evidence.

15. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

16. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

It seems strange to compare Scotland to the UK as a whole or to other EU countries, and not to specific regions of the UK (or other EU countries) with a similar economic and social landscape. I can't imagine the situation in Yorkshire or the West Midlands is vastly different than Scotland, but because they don't have our vaguely-defined status of "countries", you can't compare to, say, German-in-its-entirety, without it too obviously a being a bit of a rigged comparison.

17. uppi

uppi Warlord

Well, yeah, but if you compare it to any German state, whether rural or urban, the number is still extremely high.

18. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

Well, yes, but Yorkshire and the rest aren't trying to secede from the UK and they don't have devolved governments.

19. AmazonQueen

AmazonQueen Virago

Again it seems not devolved enough. Parts of current Scottish government proposals to deal with the problem (that are backed by the local police) are being blocked by Whitehall.
    For a government that's supposed to support the union they have a remarkably cack-handed way of dealing with Scotland and NI.

Hrothbern likes this.
  20. tjs282

tjs282 Un(a)bashed immigrant

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    FTFY ;)

Hrothbern and AmazonQueen like this.