UK Politics - Weeny, Weedy, Weaky

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Trump "broke protocol" with the Queen today. Am I the only republican in the #resistance?

He did not grab her ... did he...

Did he kick a Corgi ?

Just in case you don't know, bananas don't grow in the British climate.
But in this climate, the British go bananas.
He did not grab her ... did he...
They do say in the Graun that ‘(h)e was appreciably less tactile with the 92-year-old sovereign than with other heads of state…’, if it helps.

Looks like Trump "broke protocol" with the Queen today. Am I the only republican in the #resistance?
In Britain, it's the right-wing monarchists who break royal protocol, and the left-wing republicans who respect it. He's just deferring to local custom.

Still, I'm not sure if failing to bow is genuinely a breach of protocol. The president, as a head of state, is the queen's equal. He's not just a dignitary, he's the walking embodiment of a sovereign power. This is just British people flattering themselves that the world still respects our sad little institutions, which would be weird enough if we weren't talking about a country whose foundational document directly calls the British monarch a fat stupid jerk.

I really never thought I'd be firmly on Trump's side about anything but here we are.

Last edited:
Still, I'm not sure if failing to bow is genuinely a breach of protocol. The president, as a head of state, is the queen's equal. He's not just a dignitary, he's the walking embodiment of a sovereign power. This is just British people flattering themselves that the world still respects our sad little institutions, which would be weird enough if we weren't talking about a country whose foundational document directly calls the British monarch a fat stupid jerk.

What I read said that he touched her and "led" her whatever that means.

When Trump arrived in Belgium for the NATO summit, the Belgium PM did not recieve him and neither there was a red carpet like the last visit.
The PM excused himself that he was looking at the Belgium Red Devils semifinal.

When Trump arrived in Belgium for the NATO summit, the Belgium PM did not recieve him and neither there was a red carpet like the last visit.
The PM excused himself that he was looking at the Belgium Red Devils semifinal.

I wonder who is going to be the first to say. "I am sorry, but I have an appointment to watch some grass grow".

In Britain, it's the right-wing monarchists who break royal protocol, and the left-wing republicans who respect it. He's just deferring to local custom.
A funny retrospective moment:
It comes after Conservative sources told The Independent the speech could well be Theresa May's first and last as Prime Minister as she struggles to cobble together a parliamentary majority.
*checks article date*
*reads that it's from June 2017*
Traitorfish said:

I really never thought I'd be firmly on Trump's side about anything but here we are.
Fat, stupid, jerkish, equal or not, he's still not her subject so bowing would be out of place.

Presumably that's a weeny resignation, rather than anything else.

We have some violent Orange parades as usual and people trying to bomb Gerry Adams' house, but this isn't strictly British politics, is it?

I wonder who is going to be the first to say. "I am sorry, but I have an appointment to watch some grass grow".

Prince Charles and Prince William refused to attend

The excuse of Prince William was that he had to play a benefit polo match.
Not exactly the growing grass, but considering this tradition to repair the grass at half time....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom