UK says EU is to bail out BA

stormbind

Retenta personam!
BA has conducted test flights from London to Glasgow and reported perfect conditions.

BBC said:
British Airways has said it has asked the European Union and the UK government for financial compensation for the closure of airspace.

The airline estimates that the crisis is costing it about £15m to £20m a day.

On Monday Prime Minister Gordon Brown said that the European Solidarity Fund, designed to provide aid to EU members hit by natural disasters would be the likely source of any compensation for businesses hit by the disruption.

I think I speak for everyone when I say screw Iceland. The next time one of their stupid volcanoes explodes and screws up air travel across half the northern hemisphere, we should bomb them.

curiously so far all the test flights conducted by commercial airlines showed no damage (as reported by those airlines) and then NATO reports damaged planes :mischief:

I'd say the commercial airlines are all entitled to look after their business interests first and their current plan seems to be that they cannot get sufficient coverage from disaster funds so they try to claim malpractice by government agencies and try to get them to pay for that. Personally I'd rather have people call the shots on this that do not have a vested interest in opening the airspace though.

As for the EU funds: Mr. Brown should know better than that -

http://ec.europa.eu/regional_policy/funds/solidar/solid_en.htm#eusf said:
The EUSF was not set up with the aim of meeting all the costs linked to natural disasters. The Fund is limited in principle to non-insurable damage and does not compensate for private losses,

not even pointing out the fact that this hasn't reached the definition of the agreement of a major disaster in any way shape or form yet. They'd have to exceed damages of €3 billion in one country before they can even start thinking about it and even then bailing out commercial airlines would be a misappropriation of the funds - that and the fact that the fund doesn't even have all that much money makes this seem like empty talk.

I am sure airlines will get bailed out - but it will mostly be member states on their own getting exemptions from the EU to subsidize "their" airlines.

Well, that's what the European Solidarity Fund is for I guess.:shrug:

2. The aim of the Fund is to complement the efforts of the States concerned and to cover a share of
their public expenditure in order to help the beneficiary State to carry out the following essential emer-
gency operations, depending on the type of disaster:
(a) immediate restoration to working order of infrastructure and plant in the fields of energy, water and
waste water, telecommunications, transport, health and education;
(b) providing temporary accommodation and funding rescue services to meet the immediate needs of the
population concerned;
(c) immediate securing of preventive infrastructures and measures of immediate protection of the cultural
heritage;
(d) immediate cleaning up of disaster-stricken areas, including natural zones.

I know that the EU tends to ignore its own regulations - but the above is all there is to the fund. I do not see anything that can reasonably be constructed as a means of bailing out commercial airlines.

If airlines claim this event threatens them with bankrupcy and an inability to continue operations, then surely the EU's regulation on the "immediate restoration of transport" would qualify them for bail outs.

I doubt it - mostly because all of those are privately owned companies and this specific regulation is quite clear in that it requires the use of any available third party funds first - and quite frankly not all airlines will fold, so there would be transport available in any case.

actually here is what I think is much more likely:

http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/world-news/eus-almunia-mulls-looser-aid-rules-for-airlines_452413.html said:
The European Commission (EU) is considering loosening stringent EU rules for state aid to help airlines hit by millions of euros in lost revenues due to the volcano crisis, the EU's competition chief said on Monday. (...)
"If member states would decide to help with state aid and provided conditions for receiving state aid were not discriminatory, we are ready to think in a framework similar to after Sept. 11," Almunia added.

essentially saying they would accept individual member states' bailouts. Its so much easier than trying to ignore the text of their own regulations ;)

Are airlines REALLY necessary? Really, is air travel an absolute necessity? What cannot be done via auto/train/boat that only air can do? I am speaking here of private, not government functions. There is not such thing as a training emergency or vacation emergency.

Its a ludicrous claim on the face of it - but yeah they are saying that losing ~100 million €/day of revenue industry wide for a few days (they do not say what part of that is offset by savings from not flying/laying off staff) is going to bankrupt all of them :mischief:
I don't doubt that some airlines actually operate on such a flimsy business plan that their share of lost revenue actually puts them over the brink - but I'd see that as a welcome event, personally.
Reminds me of farmers (who I fully expect to blame Iceland for reduced crops this year): whatever happens they need a bailout :devil:

Are airlines REALLY necessary? Really, is air travel an absolute necessity? What cannot be done via auto/train/boat that only air can do? I am speaking here of private, not government functions. There is not such thing as a training emergency or vacation emergency.

In Europe they have an amazing train system that can take you to most of the major western/central cities fairly quick. None of the other continents have that, and there's always inter-continental travel.

I hope this makes the governments favour more and better railways. Let the airlines die. New ones will probably take over anyway(I just fear all of them will be point to point airlines like Ryanair).

Easyjet can withstand being grounded for 6 months, according to the BBC's business editor.

I think I speak for everyone when I say screw Iceland. The next time one of their stupid volcanoes explodes and screws up air travel across half the northern hemisphere, we should bomb them.

It's their payback for the British/Dutch extortion :) Their volcanic weapons are powerful, we should better leave them alone :lol:

curiously so far all the test flights conducted by commercial airlines showed no damage (as reported by those airlines) and then NATO reports damaged planes

A jet engine that is partially degraded or partially clogged up isn't really going to show that unless the engine is disassembled and inspected. It's all on the inside. And this hasn't happened so very many times that they have certain knowledge of just how much ash they can fly through (or even a hard quantity of ash that's actually in the way) that is safe for the engines.

I hope this makes the governments favour more and better railways. Let the airlines die. New ones will probably take over anyway(I just fear all of them will be point to point airlines like Ryanair).

You know what's making me :lol: and :shake: every time I watch the news on this story? It's how completely devastated the people are that they can't fly from, say, Spain back to Britain. I am like, what the hell? Why don't you buy a train ticket, or get on the bus, or hitch-hike? Is it so bloody inconvenient and uncomfortable for you lazy bastards? (I am aiming this at no one in particular, just those stupid people I saw on TV).

EU should tax all inter-European air travel, if it wants to be serious about being environmentally friendly. If we constructed a much denser high-speed rail network throughout the EU, we'd save billions of litres of aviation fuel a year.

You know what's making me :lol: and :shake: every time I watch the news on this story? It's how completely devastated the people are that they can't fly from, say, Spain back to Britain. I am like, what the hell? Why don't you buy a train ticket, or get on the bus, or hitch-hike? Is it so bloody inconvenient and uncomfortable/I] for you lazy bastards? (I am aiming this at no one in particular, just those stupid people I saw on TV).

EU should tax all inter-European air travel, if it wants to be serious about being environmentally friendly. If we constructed a much denser high-speed rail network throughout the EU, we'd save billions of litres of aviation fuel a year.

Well said :goodjob:

You know what's making me :lol: and :shake: every time I watch the news on this story? It's how completely devastated the people are that they can't fly from, say, Spain back to Britain. I am like, what the hell? Why don't you buy a train ticket, or get on the bus, or hitch-hike? Is it so bloody inconvenient and uncomfortable for you lazy bastards? (I am aiming this at no one in particular, just those stupid people I saw on TV).

I have a 85 year old grandma who is due to return from a break in Crete. She can barely walk - how is she going to hitchhike across two seas and a huge continent? :rolleyes:

Your lazy bastards comment reflects more on you than anyone stranded overseas.

I have a 85 year old grandma who is due to return from a break in Crete. She can barely walk - how is she going to hitchhike across two seas and a huge continent? :rolleyes:

Your lazy bastards comment reflects more on you than anyone stranded overseas.

I agree with Winner's general sentiments here, but allow for exceptions such as 85 year olds. I mean, even a flight is gotta be taxing on somebody that old and frail..

Top Bottom