1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

UK Urges Germany To Pull Its Weight More On Defence

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by imperialman, May 5, 2012.

1. kronic

kronic Chieftain

I'm very sure that he didn't resign because of that, no matter what the official version is.

2. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Temporary Configuration

And if there were any threats that we only could defend against with more weapons, or if NATO was a defensive alliance we might just do it, but there's just no rationale for increased military spending right now. We spend almost as much as Russia and we're allied with three countries that spend more.
    Plus, if we invested in power projection and started building a strong navy and aircraft carriers I'm pretty sure British media would gleefully pull the Nazi card as British media is want to do.

3. Leoreth

Leoreth Space Ranger Moderator

Now I begin to understand your username.

But that aside, what does that have to do with the UK? Why do you care if we're able to secure our economic interests?

That's not even the official version. Köhler never gave an actual explanation.

The interview uppi alluded to certainly did lead to his resignation, but in my interpretation it's more the ****storm he had to face after this comment instead of the specific content (he didn't seem like the type who overly cares about military protection of trade routes) and that Merkel and the rest of the government didn't support him in this situation again. He just couldn't openly say that.

4. Silurian

Silurian Chieftain

But Germany does defend its citizens overseas:confused:

From Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lufthansa_Flight_181

5. imperialman

imperialman Admiral

It seems very evident that I've tremendously misunderstood the attitudes of average Germans and the internal political consequences of altering the armed forces regarding the idea of military interventionism! I do apologise if I have offended anyone here.

6. kronic

kronic Chieftain

Personally, I think he resigned over the Euro "rescue" as he fully knew that everything he had to sign was in breach of what he had negotiated for on behalf of Germany back in the 1990's (when he was a State Secretary in the Ministry of Finance). The interview (where he mostly stated the obvious) and its aftermath may just have been a welcome excuse for him to step down. But as long as he keeps his mouth shut, this of course is only speculation.

7. Leoreth

Leoreth Space Ranger Moderator

Oh, don't apologize! You haven't been offensive in the slightest.

Yeah, the underlying reason was certainly his dissatisfaction with the Merkel government in both style and content. I just think the interview incident was more of a "straw that broke the camel's back" situation for him than an opportunity to cover up for his true motivations.

8. red_elk

red_elk Chieftain

Spending more on military means cutting other parts of budget, and it seems Germany sees the other spendings as more important now. As far as I can see, this is pretty standard behavior for many countries in the world. More militaristic states usually have some expensive toys to pay for, such as nuclear triad, constellation of military satellites, fleet of nuclear submarines, etc. On the other hand, Japan spends even less part of GDP for defense, despite its neighboring with North Korea, not very good relations with China and territorial argument with Russia. Germany doesn't want to build up major forces in near future and it's probably not too bad :mischief:

9. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

There's a crucial distinction here. In the early 20th century, Germany fannying around in Poland distracted vital men and resources from the world-historic project of Kicking Johnny Foreigner Upside the Head. Nowadays, if Germany fannies around in Poland, we can invest more men and resources in Kicking Johnny Foreigner Upside the Head. The contract is, I hope, self-evident.