UKNESIX - Might of the Shogun

uknemesis

The Nemesis
The last great Shogun of Japan died two weeks ago.

Within days, Clan Imagawa had occupied the Imperial City in Yamashiro, and installed their own Shogun.

The Emperor requested help from the other clans, describing Daimyo Imagawa as ronin, or a rebel.

If it hadn’t been for the code of bushido, which demands utmost loyalty to the Emperor, the Daimyo would have had the Emperor executed.

As it is, seven clans now vie for supremacy in Japan, for their Daimyo to hold the real position of Shogun – the ultimate military leader of feudal Japan.

If Imagawa can beat them all, their Daimyo can retain the title of Shogun. If they cannot, then the title of Shogun goes to the winner of the war – for not even liberating Imperial City will end this war now.

You are the Daimyo of one of these clans: Hojo, Imagawa, Mori, Uesugi, Takeda, Shimazu and Oda.

Now you must lead your clan to victory, not to free the Emperor, but to be the Shogun – to be the real ruler of Japan.

Welcome to UKNES9 – The Might of the Shogun.

Seven Clans, seven Daimyos, one Shogun, one Emperor, thousands of Samurai.

One war. Total war.

Rules

Provinces
Each province gives an income of 3 gold, apart from Yamashiro(Imperial City), which gives an income of 5 gold. Each Clan except Takeda starts with 2 provinces – Imagawa having the advantage of one of those being Yamashiro, to counter the fact that everyone will be after them for it and for their actions. Clan Takeda starts with three provinces, due to their split positions.

To claim a province, simply move a land unit into it, unless it is a rebel territory. A number of the empty provinces will be occupied by ronin, or rebels, who will fight you. Once you have defeated these, you claim the province as usual. Ronin provinces are shown as white provinces. A few ronin provinces may work together, and may even try to expand.

In all provinces you can build ashigaru – peasants with basic weaponry and training. All provinces also have a militia of one ashigaru unit automatically.

Transports (sea units without combat values) need not be built – see Units for the reason why.

There are only two types of buildings in this game – ports and castles. Ports cost 5 gold and 1 upkeep per turn, and castles cost 7 gold and 2 upkeep per turn.

Ports can only be built in coastal provinces, and allow you to build warships, sea units with combat values. Castles allow you to build samurai, stronger units than ashigaru, and upgrades the militia in that province to samurai.

Ports are shown as small white squares with black borders in your provinces, while castles are shown as small black squares with white borders in your provinces.

When a province are captured, all buildings in that province are destroyed.

Units – also see Upkeep for details of upkeep for units.

Newly built land units cannot move into enemy provinces, but claim empty provinces and attack ronin (rebel) territories. Newly built warships can move into seas that didn’t contain warships when the warship was built (ie; if there wasn’t a warship there last turn, your warship can move into that sea, even if a newly built warship is there. In that case, they may fight if you are at war).

Ashigaru cost 3 gold, and can be built in any province, and are shown by small circles in your provinces. Ashigaru can move one province a turn.

Samurai cost 5 gold, and can be built only in provinces with castles, and are shown as small squares in your provinces. Samurai can move one province a turn.

Armies are groups of five units, shown as either larger circles (for completely ashigaru armies) or larger squares (for completely samurai armies), or larger squares with up to four smaller squares of the opposite colour in them (for mixed armies). For example a mixed army of 2 samurai and 3 ashigaru, if on a Clan with a light colour’s province, would be a larger black square with 3 smaller white squares in it. Armies, just like other lands units, can move one province a turn.

Warships cost 5 gold, and can be built only in coastal provinces with ports. They are shown as small circles of your own colour in the sea. A fleet of five warships is shown by a larger circle of your own colour in the sea. Warships can move one sea a turn.

Transports are not actual units. Armies (groups of five units) carry their own rafts for transport, and therefore can take to sea by themselves. Each unit costs an extra 1 gold upkeep while at sea. It takes one turn to board the rafts, and one turn to disembark from them. The rafts movement is independent to that of the army, and therefore it can move the turn that the army boards, and move the turn that they disembark. Once the army has disembarked, the transport is dismantled and goes with them once more. A completely ashigaru army is shown as a small square of your Clan’s colour in the sea, while a completely samurai army is shown as a larger square of your Clan’s colour in the ea, and a mixed army is shown as a larger square of your Clan’s colour with either black or white smaller squares inside showing the amount of ashigaru units in the army. Transports move one sea a turn.

Upkeep

Each land unit costs 1 gold upkeep per turn while on land, and an extra 1 gold upkeep per turn that they are at sea. Each warship costs 1 gold upkeep per turn. Transports cost no upkeep, as they are considered to be part of the army.

As already mentioned, ports cost 1 gold upkeep per turn and castles cost 2 gold upkeep per turn.

Combat

Thanks to RoddyVR: *armies = combat points*

A armies attacking D armies.

X=bigger of A and D.

attacker rolls A*X sided die. defender rolls D*X sided die.
(so bigger side could roll a number that the smaller side's die dont even go up to)
Attecker rolls Ar, defender rolls Dr
Higher roll wins the fight.

Attacker Looses Dr/X Armies
Defender looses Ar/X Armies

Round down for winner of the fight.
Round up for looser of the figh.
If rolls were equal then round both UP (standoff, more deaths).

Invited List

Sorry, but to make sure the UKNES regulars get to play, I am imposing an invite list:

Jason the King
RoddyVR
AnarchyRulz
Dexter
Toasty
Kennelly
SKILORD

And if anyone turns down the invite, in this order:
Azale
Kamilian
Nivi

Clans

Clan Hojo (Red) = ()
Clan Imagawa (Pink) = ()
Clan Takeda (Dark Grey) = (RoddyVR)
Clan Uesugi (Green) = (SKILORD)
Clan Oda (Orange) = ()
Clan Shimazu (Yellow) = (Jason The King)
Clan Mori (Brown) = ()

Map

BITMAP IN ZIP: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/uknesix0.zip

Good luck all!

Thanks

Nemesis

PS: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/uknesix0.jpg

PPS: BITMAP VERSION IN ZIP: http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads4/uknesix0.zip

Bitmap posted in a ZIP file.

Nemesis

Nope!

nivi, jason already took shimazu.

emu, sorry, but i'm gonna take takeda.

i thought of taking imagawa, but takeda is just SO much stronger, that its not even funny.

UK, if your reason for giving takeda an extra province is that they are split on the map, well, just take the extra province away and they wont be split anymore. lol.

if it wasnt for the fact that takeda can build 3 peasant units to every one elses 2 on the first turn, i would have taken imagawa.

erez, then its a mistake in the rules too, cause UK, specificaly says in the end of the first paragraph that takeda gets 3 provinces cause their lands are split.

UK, your battle system sucks. i'm sorry, but you have GOT to fix it. if you want some help, i'll volunteer some time to it see if we can come up with something good.
i tried to make a new one for Rnes2, but couldnt come up with anything that i thought better then the Rnes1 system.
maybe between the 2 (anyone else wanna help) of us we can come up with something good.

Each side’s total combat points are added up – including militia for the defender, and the difference noted. Then both sides roll on a dice with the number of sides four times the difference. For example, if the difference is 3, the roll will be made on a D12, and so on. If there is no difference, the roll is made on a D20, and nothing is added to either side. Then both sides roll, and the one which had more combat points has the difference added onto their roll. The higher roll once the difference has been added (if applicable) on wins the battle.

just for this part, if you figure out the odds of each side winning for the different "advantages" you get:
Advantage, chance of tie, chance of advantaged side winning, of loosing.
0, 25%, 37%, 37%
1, 19%, 19%, 62%
2, 9%, 23%, 67%
3, 6%, 25%, 69%

10, 2%, 27%, 71%
19, 1%, 28%, 71%

The loser has half the difference taken away from their force, in combat points. Ashigaru are taken away before samurai, showing the benefits of a mixed force. In the case of no difference, the loser loses a quarter of their force, or 5 units, whichever is less.

In the case of a draw, both sides lose half the difference, or a quarter of their force or 5 units, whichever is less, in the event of no difference.

you wanted MORE realistic?

20 fighting 20 will loose: looser will lose 5 points
20 fighting 21: looser will lose 1 point (.5 actualy, but round it up i assume).
20 attacking 1: attacker has 29% chance of loosing 5 of his units, but will definetly take the province
4 attacking 1: attacker has 31% chance of loosing only 1 unit, and will still take the province no matter the rolls.

so its never healthy to fight even on.
and the 4 on 1 is a better attack then a 20 on 1.

here's one i had while working on a new one for Rnes2.

i dont remember why i abandoned it. cant figure it out now, but there must have been something wrong with it.

for your game, youd have to substitute "armies" with "attack points"

A armies attacking D armies.

X=bigger of A and D.

attacker rolls A*X sided die. defender rolls D*X sided die.
(so bigger side could roll a number that the smaller side's die dont even go up to)
Attecker rolls Ar, defender rolls Dr
Higher roll wins the fight.

Attacker Looses Dr/X Armies
Defender looses Ar/X Armies

Round down for winner of the fight.
Round up for looser of the figh.
If rolls were equal then round both UP (standoff, more deaths).

math? whats math have to do with it??? :confused:

this is probability, and making use of Excel to make it do the 'counting of posibilities' for you.

dam it, i cant figure out what i saw wrong with that system. why didnt i use it in RNES2. someone tell me, its driving me nuts.

Sorry Anarchy, Jason took them. Front page is updated now.

And thanks Roddy, your combat system is now posted, if you don't mind :)

Nemesis

UK, may i suggest sending a PM to the invited players.

with all the threads from JNES4 its hard to notice a new game.

umm, so whats up with this? UK, you gonna run this game or what?

this is the reason i never like the whole invitation lists. when the invited players dont show up you just end up alienating the non invited ones.

Fine, invite list is scrapped.

And the reason is is that with limited access to the net at present (only able to get on every other night, and if I choose to go out on that night, which I usually do, then very limited access) I may not be able to run this.

In that case, it will be postponed until the loft conversion is finished and I can use the net whenever I want.

Nemesis

I will take the Orange Clan.

btw I have watched Weatherwoman, a Japanese movie with the cutest girls. My clan will be the clan of promiscouis sex.

Top Bottom