Ukraine and Russia may go to war

Status
Not open for further replies.
RussPropaganda keeps working even as my town is being shelled by russian rockets at this very moment.

To everybody else: most people don't care and don't want to care about Bandera or whatever figure of the past. We want to be left alone and live in our own country.
Yah, yah - everything is just Russian propaganda. Go and change the wiki entry for Svoboda if you think it's fake.

Ask the Simon Wiesenthal Centre what they think of all the street names honouring Bandera, or what they
think of Bandera being made a Ukrainian hero posthumously by Yushchenko.
Just propaganda from that ultra pro-Russian site, Wikipedia. :p
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stepan_Bandera#Views_towards_other_ethnic_groups

Maybe Mikheil Saakashvili can do a deal with Russia to get it back for Ukraine. :p

As if I care about Saakashvili or any other prominent figures from the propaganda that's eaten your brain. Indeed russians live in the past.

As if I care about Saakashvili or any other prominent figures from the propaganda that's eaten your brain. Indeed russians live in the past.
Your country had a chance to purge the neo-Nazi scum, but instead they put them in positions of power.
Even putting Saakashvili in charge of Odessa. That's not ancient history.
And I'm Lithuanian, not Russian. I know Nazis when I see them, because Lithuanians started the Holocaust for the Germans.
There's some ancient history for you to chew on. :p

Moderator Action: Given the actual situation in Ukraine, you are being aggressively insensitive towards a poster who is front and center at risk. Birdjaguar

Last edited by a moderator:
I expect that the initial phase will show Putin's army overwhelm the Ukraine. Then we'll see if a guerilla war takes hold and a real slaughter begins.

Those were the daydreams of those who spent the past year increasing the tension there. But the russians would have to be insane to actually attempt to occupy Ukraine. We're not one only ones who can see it would be ruinous - they can see the trap also. They are either targeting some very specific adversaries there, military command aligned with the government, just to reduce the military threat they perceived. Or doing some kind of coup - "regime change". I'm willing to bet it's it's not an attempt to annex some (more) portion of Ukraine. And I suspect it's regime change because they're not giving up on retaining their old influence over Ukraine but had no way to keep it with things as they were.
Probably the thinking is something along the lines: "if the government in Kiev refuses to implement Minsk, and the EU and US won't put pressure on them to do it, we'll replace the government with one that does it". But doing a regime change with plain old military force instead of intelligence work and subversion... we'll see how it ends. It's crude and it's certainly a risky business, there's a history of governments calculating that their soldiers would be "received as liberators" and finding out they weren't! The only carrot a future government installed by Russia will have to dangle to its people is reintegration of the breakaway regions. I doubt that will be enough to pacify people in western Ukraine into accepting a government change this way. Messy situation.
Would Russia offer Crimea back? Only way I can see that working.

Attached proof of troop movements, sourced from CNN in turn the Ukrainian border guards. Looks like they are attempting the mentioned lightning attack on Kyiv to topple the government.

Attachments

• 7d1d2ced-f3a8-4de6-ab85-2f071f77b079.jpg
    7d1d2ced-f3a8-4de6-ab85-2f071f77b079.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 45
Moderator Action: The war has been moved to a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom