Ultimate Challenge

Vol

Sophist
I think a one-on-one with a Deity opponent would be the best situation to prove mastery of Civ 3. Even better if the enemy civ was a historical opponent of yours.

I think this might be best possibly won on a Huge, Continent map. Both sides expand and grow for a long time. Possibly in the late game when real interaction starts to occur (pacify your opponent for as long as possible! offer lots of gifts!), you can have enough defense to hold on.

You'll have to curtail the opponents Culture, Domination and Space Race victory conditions, and those are your best hopes as well.

I don't have time to play this setup, anyone who's won on Monarch or better want to give it a try and report the results?

Hmmmmmm..... I really don't think that this is the best way to prove that your mastering Civ 3.... dealing with a lot of civilization all around you is a big part of the game, and its not easy to do...

by having only one opponent on huge map, you completely change the style of play, and for sure, being good versus only one computer doesnt mean you are good playing with 8-9 bugging you..

This seems like a very interesting scenario. I think it should be tested on a small map however. That way there will not be a tedious expansion process through the ADs! Plus you'll be in touch with your opponent (or bound to be one day). I'm not sure whether this would be terribly difficult though if you were on seperate continents. I've never seen a computer pull off a REAL successful sea borne invasion. Especially not against my railroad laiden empire. I'll try this soon on deity on a tiny map. I'll probably be the Chinese. The indians are also a real possibility though.

That definitely sounds like a real challenge because it removes a lot of the tricks people use - build a trash city somewhere and trade it for tech that you then trade to everyone else, or give away a city to an enemy just before it's taken by someone, then take it back, give it away again, etc...

This also removes a lot of the technology trading--you're going to be using knights in the 1900s! :)

I was going to try this soon, and it's definitely a challenge, but, the ultimate? Three things I see with this:

1) It's way too easy to get lucky with the draw on resources.
2) Only 1 civ, it's okay to backstab the heck out of him.
3) He's going to build the Great Library. What a waste.

I think everything hinges on whether you can find an inlet where you can sneak a Galley over to his continent. Contact him & do business before his lead gets insurmountable.

Top Bottom