1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultimate stragety

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by HistoryFan, Nov 22, 2009.

1. HistoryFan

HistoryFan Chieftain

First off I'll tell you my civ and leader, Gandhi of Rome... Stragety from the get go; get a huge population, produce great scientists like it's my day job, use pacifism for the extra points, philosophical trait of Gandhi and the forum of Rome.

This game was on emperor.
    I started on a continents map, with 3 neighbors on my continent. Vikings, Greeks, and Persians. I expanded, got lucky and had three things of gold near by! one in my capitals bfc along with some corn and pig not too far away. I acquired the resources/ land I wanted with 5 cities. I built the mids and adopted representation [no anarchy thanks to Gandhi] I made Rome the capital of all capitals, especially in science with all great scientific wonders. I got pacifism, founded Taosim, and adopted pacifism. With forums, the Parthenon, the great library, Gandhi's traits, and pacifism I so far ahead in techs. Then the stupid Vikings declared war on me after I kept on denying to join the war with them against the Greeks. [I'm in between the two]. Welll I've got long bowmen and cross bowmen protecting my cities against swordsmen. I then make a praetorian army [I've got plenty of money] I go, sack two of his cities and take two.

The war ends, I didn't really want to continue the fight, I delete my army so they wont hurt my economy so much anymore. And I'm now generating a great scientist at 72% [28% great artist] every 7 turns. I have academies in all of my cities. It's going good in other words.

2. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

The best strategy is to adapt to each situation. Getting a huge population tends to result in wins even if you aren't trying to abuse a super UU with unrestricted leaders. I'm not sure Gandhi is even better for Rome than the Roman leaders.

3. TheLazyHase

TheLazyHase King

And in wich part is that supposed to be "ultimate" ? just see a rather plain and classical strategy.

4. ICNP

ICNP The Third Superpower

It's a nice strategy, abusing an excellent combo. Difficulty? I'm sure more aggresive leaders (with Aggressive AI) would have screwed this up earlier. This strategy hinges on plenty of food and not getting smacked early.

5. KaytieKat

KaytieKat King

Hi

I always thought Alex of rome would be pretty spiffy, Philo to work with the forums and agressive to work with the prats :)

Another fun combo I fist saw mentioned by Bhuric (not sure if I spelled the name right and I dont notice him posting much anymore but he was the one who took over doing unofficial patches in between solvers two times of handling it) is Abe of egypt. Prioritize the ub and BOTH abes traits work with it cuz char give extra happy and philo means you can start getting great prieists VERY early for bulbing religions/ getting shrines or jven ust setlling. (plus charasmatic war chariots not too shabby either)

TMiT has brought up Hammy/Summerian combo agressive vultures plus organized means now not only do you get ziggys faster than reg couthouses but they cheaper to build too.

So there are LOTS of unrestricted leader combos like that that can be very strong or just fun (like toku for agg/protective redcoats or oromos or any gunpowder uu you want to have fun with) so I think it is hard to say just one would be the "ultimate"

Kaytie

6. KeloGBites

KeloGBites Warlord

Unrestricted Leaders is like playing Poker with pocket Aces every game, it just shouldn't happen. Cyrus of Rome, Toku of Ethiopia, Boudicca of *Whatever nation that gets an awesome early-UU*. It is fun to play around with these blatantly overpowered combinations, but when it comes down to it, these combos shouldn't happen. Even kinda ruins the game for me.

7. mariogreymist

mariogreymist Deity

Yeah...I played a game with Darius of the HRE...About half way through spreading Mining/Sushi, I realized how little fun it was going to be killing Longbows with Mech Infantry (after the first few chuckles).

8. KeloGBites

KeloGBites Warlord

Organized..Rautthauses..that must have been some pretty good REXing fun.

9. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

I know right? You get unbelievable combinations like Shaka of Zulu, Darius of Persia, Julius Caesar of Rome, Hatsheput of Egypt, and Capac of Inca!

Most of the unrestricted combos aren't THAT much stronger than some of the defaults. For example, toku of Ethiopia kind of sucks, you only get combat I on your oromos past what you'd get with zara, and you give up better traits to do it. Cyrus of Rome gets stronger prats but has more trouble paying for their success. Boudica of persia is no better than cyrus of persia (arguably worse) and really only shines with rome (any leader shines with rome).

There are a handful of powerful combos but if you're playing your difficulty none of them will be gimme wins every time except using Inca on slow speeds...but ANY leader will work then.

10. mariogreymist

mariogreymist Deity

Even without Rahhauses it's not too hard to get Darius up to 100% sustained science with a good cottage economy. So lots of land, lots of cottages, cheap civics, cheap rathauses (and thus cheap city upkeep), led to 100% sustained science with lots of income coming out of the Rennaissance. There are a few sick combos out there. (I imagine Toku of England or the Ottoman Empire would be scary in the hands of a warlike player)

Honestly though, Darius of Persia is sick enough on his own. Rathauses just make his trait combo silly.

11. KeloGBites

KeloGBites Warlord

I suppose so TMiT, but if I can ask why do you consider Shaka a powerful leader, the Zulu themselves are powerful (Ikhanda are ridiculous) but Agg/Exp? I have never been able to make him work so maybe you could give me a couple pointers.

12. Iranon

Iranon Deity Whipping Boy

AGG is a nice trait for early warfare and especially rushes, doubly good for the Zulus since it means a discounted UB that'll make large-scale conquest a little more affordable.
    EXP gives one a head start which comes in quite useful for rushes (try rushing with Joao - he has no direct military edge but is quite good at it because he saves quite a few early hammers). Having discounted granaries and a discounted barracks which acts as a mini-courthouse isn't bad even when not bashing heads.

Still, Shaka competes directly with Julius Caesar (warmonger with faster and more affordable expansion)... and althogh Shakas benefits are a tad more reliable, I think Julius is the stronger leader overall.

13. God-Emperor

God-Emperor Deity

I suspect a stragety is the same thing as a stragedy: when your carefully designed and implemented strategy leads to a tragedy.

14. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

If you have Iron + viable neighbors to attack, Rome is better than Zulu. If you do not have iron or viable neighbors to attack, Zulu is stronger due to their markedly superior UB.

People talk about the HRE UB as if it's godly, and then ignore a UB that is available earlier with a leader that halves its cost and offers a grand total of 5% less maintenance reduction. Shaka's melee is viable, and as mirth once pointed out AGG impi can take cover and hit archers as hard as war chariots...a somewhat niche use but helpful below immortal or when the target has easily pillaged or late metal. Zulu is a well-rounded civ and has a leader near-perfect for it. Along with his expansion/war tendencies, this is why Shaka is IMO the most consistently dangerous AI.

15. KeloGBites

KeloGBites Warlord

Rushing with Impi, I've tried it before but it seems either it comes too late or it screws me over on any decent expansion against the other AIs, and I doubt I could hit 2 AIs before Axes start showing up (and even 1 axe can stop an Impi stack in it's tracks it seems).
    Agree with you on Shaka being the most consistently dangerous AI, gonna try play a game with him now actually, maybe try push that civ to it's limit. I'm guessing Epic or slower is better for that civ to get the most use of those pesky lil Impi.

16. Captain Carnage

Captain Carnage King

This is the funniest thing I've read all day :lol:

17. Fabio GP addict

Fabio GP addict Chieftain

Shaka is simply great for early rushes. I played twice with him and ended up not having fun anymore as it's too easy to smash down any neighbour.

Just don't think only to Impi's intrinsic power: they're not a winner UU, but a perfect complement. The key are cheap Ikhlanda and granary, you just need some :hammers: and go straight for mining+BW. An early stack of axes+impi is deadly. Don't underestimate the tactic power of a 2 :move: unit (attack and get back) which also easily counters chariots :eek:

18. KeloGBites

KeloGBites Warlord

Well, just played a game as Shaka (Immortal, Epic, Pangea), managed to take out 3(!) neighbours using ONLY Impi. Unfortunately I crashed my economy so hard about 100 turns later I still can't raise it above 20% slider, but it's looking up. I'm thinking of going into Machinery (Watermills) and building Wealth until I figure out some way to get my economy back up (Most of the land is absolutely horrible).

19. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

^^Who cares about the slider? ;) 20% of 200 is the double of 100% of 20, right ? :D

On topic:

With all due respect to the OP, why do all this "ultimate" or "optimal" strategies start with :
    -Pick a leader/civ
    -Pick a script
    -Pick a level

...as if a thing could be called optimal if it only works in a blue moon or something similar? :(

20. scyt4l3

scyt4l3 Short Fused Invader

this ----^^

I totally agree with Rolo