1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ultra-Blight WTF

Discussion in 'Fall from Heaven Strategy & Tips' started by Atlar, Feb 2, 2010.

1. mcwill123

mcwill123 Pretender to the Throne

Vae Victis are you running 0.41M? I recently had an empire go through blight and it was nowhere near as bad as that. I had a few cities between -25 and -30 health. Population probably dropped a bit, but not enough to really be a concern. Perhaps all the farms for running aristograrian economy helped me.

2. Emptiness

Emptiness []

It lasts until the :yuck: it creates fades away (it decreases by 1 each turn).

3. Vae_Victis

Vae_Victis Chieftain

Umm...not sure to be honest. I'm running Fall Further .51 on top so I don't know if that affects the Blight as well.

I've since played 4 Deity Normal speed games with the AC turned off and those have been a thrill. Won 3 (barely) and lost 1 to Korrina the Protector who exploded for some reason...by the time me and the other AI's were working on our second or third cities she was settling her seventh! The only thing I can figure out (Fall Further documentation is a little sketchy) is she had Yggdrisal and two wheats in the BFC of her capital.

4. Vae_Victis

Vae_Victis Chieftain

That's good to know, I may change that to something more reasonable.

Really, though, the frustrating part for me is the fact that it seems much easier to raise the AC than to lower it. I raised it by 6% from city razing but the other 24% was a few other AI's spamming Purge the Unfaithful (don't know if that's a FF or FFH feature) over and over even though their cities didn't have non-state religions to purge.

5. Emptiness

Emptiness []

Fall Further is no longer a modmod of FfH2, but rather a stand-alone mod based on the FfH2 world. FF0.51 is not installed on top of any version of FfH2, and does not require FfH2 to install or play.

I don't play FF, so I'm not sure what if any differences there are between how Blight is implemented in that mod and how it is implemented in FfH2. Everything I've said has been based on FfH2, and may or may not apply to FF.

In the future you may wish to correctly identify the mod you are playing as FF, to increase the chance that the responses you get are relevant. You may also wish to check out the Fall Further section of these forums for FF-specific information.

6. Kranden

Kranden War is the real diplomacy

Blight is not so bad, the trick is to build a very large army BEFORE the blight hits, because your enemies are gonna get hit hard by it too. If you have a large force a blight can work in your favor.

7. EugeneStyles

EugeneStyles Prince

Hah! It appears that I am playing an old version, since someone mentioned .41m, and I've got .41d. I just finished a game as Calabim, and several of my cities had -60 or more from Blight. I was lucky in that a) I had Granaries and Smokehouses in almost all of my cities - growing cities for Vampire food, it seemed like a good idea to use a build order like Monument/Breeding Pit/Granary/Smokehouse; b) I was already winning the game - played on Noble because I hadn't played FfH in like 2 years and was screwing around and about to start on Tower of Mastery; c) Even though my biggest cities started at around 30-35 pop and took a big hit, none of them got dropped below 14 (one of my 12 pop cities got down to 4 before it stabilized, but no big deal).

So yeah, I came on looking to see what would have happened to a civ that wasn't producing tons and tons of food to fatten up the Kine. And to find out how long Blight is supposed to last, because it seemed to take forever to get down to a manageable level. I mean, I immediately built Infirmaries and Herbalists in every city, but there's only so much that +3 health can do against 64 unhealth... =) I guess it's good to know that it's not supposed to be quite that brutal. I was wondering how you were ever expected to get to 70+ on the Armageddon counter if getting to 30 totally trashes all your cities!

8. Kranden

Some good tricks are before a blight plan a civic change to take 2 turns of anarchy while the blight is messing up everybody it wont matter because nothing changes due to anarchy. Also the best thing you can usually do is store a large amount of money before a blight hits then switch all of your production to money.

9. Buckwild

Buckwild Chieftain

How do you know when a blight will hit? What actually causes a blight? World spell or random occurrence?

10. PPQ_Purple

PPQ_Purple Techpriest Engineer

Its based on the AC, the first blight hits on 30 I think and another on something above (60-70 I think).

11. [to_xp]Gekko

[to_xp]Gekko QCT junkie

nope it's only at 30. however, there is a random event that can happen after that which is basically a weaker version of it.

12. Buckwild

Buckwild Chieftain

Oooooooo... so my own rampant raids on other civs was causing the blight that destroyed my own cities last game... how ironic.

13. Kranden

Another great trick is if you are playing Calabim is to force a blight midgame when you get vampires, then feed on all your cities as the blight hits. All the cities in the world will suffer but you will get super powerful vampires out of the deal giving you a huge military advantage.

14. Feyd Rautha

Feyd Rautha Prince

The first time I got hit with blight, things did not go well. I quickly lost all control in that game and wound up quitting. Since then I have planned much better. Typically I will give myself a 5 point health buffer until it hits and then try to weather the worst of it. I also try to push the AC up over 30 as fast as I can in order to get it over with. I've found that if I can trigger it quickly enough then it has almost no impact.

Some things I have noticed...
    Health debuffs are definitely based on city size.
    Production cities appear to be hit harder even if they are smaller and more healthy.

Generally speaking I spend almost th entire first half of the game with Blight on my mind. It's really unfortunate that of all the things that can be turned off, Blight cannot be. I readilly accept the others, but Blight is simply too destructive.

15. Monkeyfinger

Monkeyfinger Deity

Blight's unhealth is the city's pop + a random number between 0 and 16. That simple.

16. DaveGold

DaveGold Emperor

Once you know the blight works you can usually turn it your advantage. The AI generally doesn't play the blight well whilst a human player can prepare with granaries and smokehouses. There's also the opportunity for a surprise assault on the turn the blight hits, ambushing a powerful stack of wounded living units. The enemy will be at low production for a long time and unable to reinforce effectively.

17. a_civilian

a_civilian Warlord

Code:
    def doArmageddonBlight(argsList):
    	kTriggeredData = argsList[0]
    	iPlayer = argsList[1]
    	pPlayer = gc.getPlayer(iPlayer)
    	py = PyPlayer(iPlayer)
    	if pPlayer.getCivilizationType() != gc.getInfoTypeForString('CIVILIZATION_INFERNAL'):
    		for pyCity in py.getCityList():
    			pCity = pyCity.GetCy()
    			i = CyGame().getSorenRandNum(15, "Blight")
    			i = 10
    			i += pCity.getPopulation()
    			i -= pCity.totalGoodBuildingHealth()
    			if i > 0:
    				pCity.changeEspionageHealthCounter(i)
    	for pUnit in py.getUnitList():
    		if pUnit.isAlive():
    			pUnit.doDamageNoCaster(25, 100, gc.getInfoTypeForString('DAMAGE_DEATH'), false)
    Looks like it's just population + 10 - totalGoodBuildingHealth, which seems, but I'm not sure, to just be the total health (positive only) provided directly by buildings.

18. Emptiness

Emptiness []

Code:
    			i = 10
    I wonder when that line was added...the base used to be random (see previous line of code). Setting it at 10 is actually a slight increase in average severity, and prevents some cities from randomly getting very little blight.

19. shorbock

shorbock Chieftain

Could it be a strategy for the Illians to keep the armaggeddon counter low until late-game, then when they build/cast the draw ritual, they raze some enemy cities to bring the counter to 29 (that is just before the draw is cast! else someone else might cause the blight...)
    Then as soon as the draw is cast, and everyone goes at war with you, the next razed city (hopefully not one of yours) will trigger the blight, which will affect your enemies only (and being late-game it should affect them strongly), which will do to them a bit the same thing the draw did to you ?