1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Umm... :(

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Technical Support' started by SovietShark, Dec 22, 2010.

  1. SovietShark

    SovietShark Chieftain

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    6
    Location:
    Clemson, South Carolina
    Well, first of all, I got the new patch and then Civ 5 wouldn't start. I had to go to the dentist anyways, so I decided to just uninstall it through steam then reinstall it.

    Well, that would've been fine and dandy, if reinstalling it didn't create another problem, this time with the text keys not loading.

    DX9 mode does not help at all.

    Now, normally I wouldn't be so angry about something like this, but when I try to create a game and it looks like this, then obviously I can't have the most epic battle in the world play out, can I? :(
     
  2. SovietShark

    SovietShark Chieftain

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    6
    Location:
    Clemson, South Carolina
    Apparently when changing my language to German, those keys load fine. Guess I'll have to learn Deutsch for the time being.
     
  3. Petek

    Petek Alpha Centaurian Administrator Supporter

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2001
    Messages:
    3,647
    Location:
    Berkeley, Calif., USA
    Change your language back to English and see if that helps.
     
  4. SovietShark

    SovietShark Chieftain

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    6
    Location:
    Clemson, South Carolina
    No, but that could be because it doesn't redownload the English game files. Any idea where they're located?

    EDIT:
    Nope, deleted and redownloaded the whole thing again, it's still not working. Anybody else having this problem?
     
  5. Petek

    Petek Alpha Centaurian Administrator Supporter

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2001
    Messages:
    3,647
    Location:
    Berkeley, Calif., USA
    See this thread, especially post #10 for a similar problem and a solution. Does that help?
     
  6. SovietShark

    SovietShark Chieftain

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    6
    Location:
    Clemson, South Carolina
    No dice, I even have a fresh install of Windows now (the December 15th security update for Windows 7 gave me bluescreens and I had no backup). I guess I'm going to try reinstalling on more time and if that doesn't work, guess its time to give up Civ.:(
     
  7. jdg23

    jdg23 Chieftain

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2002
    Messages:
    9
    Same problem here. Changing language does not help :(
     
  8. Petek

    Petek Alpha Centaurian Administrator Supporter

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2001
    Messages:
    3,647
    Location:
    Berkeley, Calif., USA
    Let's make sure that we're all talking about the same problem: After a recent patch, you see TXT_KEY tags in various parts of the game. If you are running any mods, disable them. Changing languages and uninstalling/reinstalling hasn't helped. I think that everyone has looked for XML files in places where they shouldn't be (Documents\My Games\Civ 5). Here's another possible solution (found on the 2K Games forum): Open Steam. Go Steam --> Settings --> Downloads + Cloud --> Download Region. Check that this setting points to an appropriate server and change it, if necessary. I think you want to choose a server that supports the appropriate language, even if that server is not in the country where you live. Please report what happens when you take this action.
     
  9. SovietShark

    SovietShark Chieftain

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2010
    Messages:
    6
    Location:
    Clemson, South Carolina
    Alright, I did that and it didn't work. No mods were installed since it was a fresh install of Windows, and subsequently the user directory. I'm going to try to re download the whole thing from the new server. I just found out when I set it to delete local files it wasn't deleting everything in the folder. I just went ahead and deleted the folder, so hopefully this time it will work.
    EDIT: Well, it might have helped when I did the fresh reinstall. It works now! Thank you!
     

Share This Page