1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

UN Global Commission: Drug War a Failure

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by civver_764, Jun 2, 2011.

1. civver_764

civver_764 Deity

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13624303

Only took like 40 years but they finally recognized the obvious. Of course this itself probably won't change much in countries like the US, but it sets a good precedent. I honestly can't wrap my mind around how anyone could approve of prohibition. It's ineffective, harmful, and immoral in every sense of the words.

2. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

Lets hope opium dens make a comeback.

3. Wolfbeckett

Wolfbeckett Jerkin' and nonsense.

In the US especially it will fall on deaf ears because prisons here are a for profit business, the more people they can stuff in the better, and they just love hauling in non violent drug offenders by the truckload to fill the cells. Lobbying being what it is, the congress-critters that have been bought by the prison system will never allow such a thing to happen.

4. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Deity

Who cares what the UN says? "The UN has made his decision; now let them enforce it!"

5. Quackers

Quackers The Frog

Crazy report.

People on the Mexican frontline are already calling out on this suggestion.

6. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

I can, people wanting to control other people for no real good reason is just human nature;)

Just support my Presidential Campaign, you can have your drugs and we can have our guns... we're all happy;)

Just don't assassinate me, then NickyJ becomes President and we get prohibition back again;)

7. Wolfbeckett

Organized crime is obviously a zero sum game, if we can't wipe them out entirely in one blow then we shouldn't bother weakening them at all :lol:

8. Narz

Narz keeping it real

The criminalization of marijuana is stupid, a maryj joint is less harmful than a fast food joint & actually has proven therapeutic value to some.

Hear, hear!

9. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

The U.S.? Healthcare? Good luck with that..

10. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

Legalize the drugs. Make them safe for users, make them inexpensive, and tax them. Governmental coffers will overflow.

11. Wolfbeckett

And more importantly, cartels will have to find a new revenue stream. Win-win. Unless of course you're the type that likes to control how other people live, then you're probably not winning but, well, those people never have a good time long term.

12. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

Hurting organized crime is tertiary. The primary benefit is boosting the health of drug users, particularly IV drug users who, presumably, would be allowed access to safe drugs and clean needles. Secondary to this is the reduction in property crime used to pay for drugs, reductions in judicial and law enforcement system costs, and a white-space increase in tax revenue.

One question: presumably there would still be social pressure against drug use, particular things like heroin, much as there is a stigma against overindulgence of alcohol and use of tobacco. Hopefully, the legalization of such drugs may enable addicts to become useful members of society, but I wonder where the sweet point is between place stigma against drug use and allowing formerly ostracized parties to rejoin society.

13. Silurian

Silurian Deity

:confused:
    No they wont enforce the current way thats the idea.
    They will help the users rather than gaol them.

from the Guardian about the experience in Portugal.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/sep/05/portugal-drugs-debate

14. Dawgphood001

Dawgphood001 The Professional Poster

Lies bolded by me.

Just par for the course, all these lies. Saying that drug addiction is a disease that can be "treated" when really that is just lipservice. It's already been well established that the only interest of these prohibitionist goons is to arrest people and throw them in jail, since that's what keeps their paychecks coming.

The other lie where he mentions drugs being more available is well, also blatantly false. Drugs are available to anyone who wants them, since you don't have to show ID to buy illegal merchandise.

Also interesting that these Mexican prohibitionists (who get lots of anti-drug money from the US prohibitionists) point out illegal activities that aren't nearly as profitable as drug-dealing.

Did "El Chapo" become the most wealthy and powerful drug lord in the world by kidnapping people and stealing cars? Did Pablo Escobar make all his money without drugs? :rolleyes:

"Yeah, who cares what they say! We here in 'Murika know how to throw people in jail and waste money on non-violent crimes better than any of those Euro-sissies!"

Yeah, because they are on the payroll of the United States.

15. pi-r8

pi-r8 Luddite

I wouldn't call it a failure. From the point of view of the US military, it's been a great sucess. The Drug war has given them the perfect excuse to ramp up military spending, increase their presence in latin america, and secretly funnel money to whichever warlords they want to support. It's also allowed the police to increase their power in the US.

Of course in terms of actually, you know, discouraging drug use it's a failure. But no one really cared about that.

16. Silurian

Silurian Deity

If Europe and others concentrated on reducing demand and treating people then the price of drugs would fall in the rest of the world.

So the use in the US would go up.

17. Narz

Narz keeping it real

I agree with my Dawg that drug abuse is not a "disease". Disease is used as a buzzword these days so much it loses all meaning.

18. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Best possible way to encourage Americans to support the war on drugs. Get the UN to oppose it. Smart move, UN...

19. Silurian

Silurian Deity

The USA is less than 5% of the world population.
    The UN is concerned with 100% of the world population.
    If the USA does not want to reduce the drug use of its citizens because it would prefer to have a war, that is the choice of the US.
    Obviously this will result in ever higher tax costs and the waste of American lives but at least they will have stuck up to the UN.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...v_2ICw&usg=AFQjCNGj_B0CyR_oOjeyQOR0d6nvcVINQA

Click on report to get the report

20. Dawgphood001

Dawgphood001 The Professional Poster

So, we should continue the (failed) War on Some Drugs just to stick it to the UN?

I believe that's referred to around here as cutting off your nose to spite your face.