1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

UN Global Commission: Drug War a Failure

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by civver_764, Jun 2, 2011.

1. naterator

naterator Bravely running away

Doubt anything will come from this specifically, but it's another step in the right direction.

Of course, as has been pointed out already, the drug war in America is not about the reduction of drug use, improving public health, or improving public safety; it is simply about the acquisition of currency and the exercise of power. Neither of those pillars are threatened by this declaration of defeat, so it's the status quo for now.

2. Silurian

Silurian Deity

This report is not about the USA but the world wide war on drugs.

It could well effect the development of the treaties against drugs.

If its recommendations are implemented international actions against drug production and transportation would be reduced with the money saved being spent on reduction of demand.

3. SS-18 ICBM

SS-18 ICBM Oscillator

Did it say where it increased? If it increased in areas without a drug crackdown, that kind of goes against the thesis in the thread title...

4. Dreadnought

Dreadnought Deity

My part about enforcing the decision was a connection to another situation in history.

5. G-Max

G-Max Deity

Wait... the UN is actually right about something for once? Now THAT's news.

6. Silurian

Silurian Deity

Are you saying that the UN has forced the US to start the "War on Drugs":confused::confused:

SS-18 ICBM@

According to the US dept of Justice cocaine use is down in the last few years due to some big seizures but heroin is up due to increased demand.
    So people have switched drug.
    Cannabis is increasing.

7. MeteorPunch

MeteorPunch #WINNING

Yeah the evidence has now become impossible for anyone to disregard.
    :shake:

8. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Deity Retired Moderator

But in my experience, a marijuana joint can act as a gateway drug, leading to fast food joints after a very short amount of time. What do you say now? :p

9. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

The UN is relevant to the US, we signed onto treaties along with other countries and one of those treaties says member states cannot legalize drugs. I think ;)

Drug Czars say the damndest things... But okay, he's talking about non-medicinal, recreational drugs. But these drugs do have medicinal applications, all of them - thats why most were invented or developed. Doh! Of course, the problem with his argument is that we're looking at "drugs" thru the drug "war" lens - if the attempt to stop drug use creates problems (and it does), many people associate those problems with drugs and not prohibition.

The drug war employs far more people, its often the first step for juveniles who are typically exempt from serious penalties into the organized crime world. The drug war is a gateway policy to a life of crime...

Oh yeah, the stats showing cocaine and opiates increasing faster than pot? There's some market (black) principle linked to that, Prohibition encourages traffickers to move the harder stuff - same thing happened in the 1920s, the use of booze rose faster than beer.

10. Ice_Tyrant

Ice_Tyrant Prince

As I said when I posted this on Facebook "Also the Earth is the 3rd planet from the sun" a friend added to it "And the Pope is Catholic"

11. G-Max

G-Max Deity

The Pope only pretends to be Catholic. He's actually a Sith lord.

12. Narz

Narz keeping it real

Nicely played. However there's no reason stoners couldn't binge out on sugar-snap peas instead of french fries.

13. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Deity Retired Moderator

Besides, of course, the fact that they don't taste as good as french fries. Or Taco Bell. :drool:

14. Narz

Narz keeping it real

You just have to retrain your taste buds. Once you cleanse your pallet for awhile you will no longer find uber-salty-sugary-greasy-artficially-tweaked-to-get-you-wanting-more-more-MORE types of foods to be the pinnacle of taste excellence.

I still do love salt, sweet, fatty/creamy of course but I also can appreciate the simple pleasures of sugar-snap peas & cold melons on a hot day.

15. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

All Catholics are Sith though, so that's not really pretending;)

(And Protestants are Jedi:mischief:)

Didn't work on me. I don't like the UN and I still oppose the war on drugs:)

I don't like calling it that anyway though? This isn't a war! Where's the "War on non-seatbelt usage" or the "War on guns." Its just another stupid law, it isn't a war.

16. Tani Coyote

Tani Coyote Son of Huehuecoyotl

Unfortunately, just as I say on issues I don't agree with, I must also say it on an issue I do agree with: nobody, especially the USA, cares about the UN's opinions.

There are too many incentives to keep the Drug War going. Nobody wants to give up their slice of the pie, but they all expect everyone else to.

17. civver_764

civver_764 Deity

If other countries start adopting more sensible drug policies though the US will start to look pretty bad.

18. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

As if average Americans are going to care about the U.S. looking bad. The U.S. already looks pretty bad in a lot of ways and most people still think that "usa #1"

Granted, it is #1 in a lot of ways, and hats off to all of you for making that happen, but Americans aren't going to care about America looking bad

19. emzie

emzie wicked witch of the North

Find an alcoholic. Lock them in a room without access to alcohol. Observe.

20. Tani Coyote

Tani Coyote Son of Huehuecoyotl

Warpus took the words out of my mouth.

The American mindset seems to be "Screw you, I'm a superpower." + whatever jingoism you can think of here.

Plenty of them have UHC and do we care? Apart from a few liberals here and there, most Americans do not... most have abolished the death penalty. Do we care? Yet again, apart from a few liberals...