1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

UN Global Commission: Drug War a Failure

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by civver_764, Jun 2, 2011.

1. civver_764

civver_764 Deity

Most America's supported the public option actually.

2. Tani Coyote

Tani Coyote Son of Huehuecoyotl

Ah, but for reasons other than caring what the rest of Earth has to say. :p Which is what's important; we will legalise UHC because Americans want it, not because a few other countries get together and start bashing us for not having it.

3. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

I doubt we'll care TBH.

Heck, I don't care much about drug laws now since I have no interest in using them:p

UHC is a bad idea, as is abolishing Capital Punishment. Do you now see why I don't care for the UN?:confused:

4. bestrfcplayer

bestrfcplayer Steppin' up!

Maybe that's a good sign to get rid of Obamacare :mischief:

5. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

and yet, the consequences and ramifications of the drug war still affect you on a daily basis. Reality, amirite?

6. carmen510

carmen510 Deity

Even though its good to see acknowledgement of the failure, countries are still going to persist fighting their "War on Drugs", and the UN is pretty much powerless to stop it. Heck, if they couldn't get Mauritania to ban slavery until 2007, will they have any luck stopping the drug wars and passing drug decriminalization laws?

7. warpus

warpus In pork I trust

What's Obamacare?

8. Berzerker

Berzerker Deity

requirement to buy insurance

9. G-Max

G-Max Deity

No way. The Rajput warriors of India are the Jedi. Well, they're more like the Protoss from Starcraft, but same thing.

Hi, my name is G-Max, and I'm an alcoholic. I also haven't had anything to drink for like a week, despite living about 2 minutes' walking distance away from a liquor store.

This is because we're actually a federation of sovereign states, each of which is supposed to have full autonomy regarding things like the death penalty.

10. Silurian

Silurian Deity

It’s always strange when people attack the messenger rather than the message.

11. Tani Coyote

Tani Coyote Son of Huehuecoyotl

I'm surprised no one's called you out on these... then again, that would be off-topic.

I don't care for the UN and I support some basic UHC and abolition of capital punishment... :p

I don't see what that has to do with what I said...

All I said is, Americans in general don't care about legalising or criminalising something because the rest of the world did it. We make our laws based on what we want, not based on other countries calling us "barbaric" or whatever.

That goes for the state level as much as the federal, since both are composed of Americans. We're just moving down a level.

12. Wolfbeckett

Wolfbeckett Jerkin' and nonsense.

Let's talk to someone with leukemia and see what they think about an alcoholic's "disease". Some people do have a genetic predisposition towards addiction, that's true, but I'm not comfortable calling it a disease because at the end of the day, drinking is a choice, even if you are addicted you can (and people do) make the decision to just not drink anymore. Diseases are something you have no direct control over, you have no choice. Cancer is a disease. Influenza is a disease. Drinking is a lifestyle choice, some people DO have a harder time saying no than others, but it's still a choice.

13. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

I think the disease model of alcoholism, and drug addiction more broadly, is a helpful, but isn’t universally applicable. People drink for a variety of reasons and some people cannot help themselves whereas others are more capable of doing so. Similarly, there are recovering alcoholics who can never have another sip of alcohol without relapse, but there are also those who can moderately indulge after recovering. Whether this is because of physical / genetic factors or something is hard to say. It is obvious, however, that groups like AA, which does support the disease model, has been a great help for people trying to recover from addiction.

The really good thing about the disease model is that it makes addiction a public health topic, which is really important.

14. Aegis

Aegis Deity

Oh, you mean personal accountability.

A person has no control over their withdrawal symptoms or cravings.

15. Wolfbeckett

Wolfbeckett Jerkin' and nonsense.

You might then have a case for calling the withdrawals themselves a disease, I still wouldn't because it's a chemical response in the body which seems like a different thing to me, but the case could be made. As for cravings? I have a craving for beef jerky right now, do I have a new disease called jerkyism? Cravings are not even close to a disease, despite having no control over them.

16. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

@Communisto- Please enlighten me. How does the drug war affect me personally? (Note: this doesn't mean I support it, I don't. I just won't waste time campaigning against it unless I actually run for President someday.)

17. Aegis

Aegis Deity

Cravings are a symptom, not the be-all, end-all. Your wanting to eat jerky has nothing to do with your body physically craving jerky in the way that an alcohol or caffeine addict's body does. Jerky does not carry an addictive element, unlike alcohol and caffeine. Your body will not go into withdrawal if you don't eventually eat jerky to satisfy your craving.

Your tax dollars are wasted trying to combat it and wasted on incarcerating non-violent people that needlessly flood the prison system.

18. civver_764

civver_764 Deity

Among other activities of the DEA.

19. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

That's true.

Then again, my entire family is against legalizing drugs (Well, most of them anyway) so actively campaigning for it wouldn't go over well with them;)

Also, there are better things I could do with my time.

But yeah, it is unnecessary.

20. Communisto

Communisto Condottiere

Also, it pumps millions of dollars worth of profit into the hands of criminal enterprises when that money could be going, you know, back to us.