UN: Must Vote for my Enemy

Does anyone know if you 'liberate' a Civ that was previously thrown out of the game from losing all its cities, will they always vote for you in the UN? I think that's the case, might be wrong though. If so, that's one way to make diplo victories a bit less cheap - play as a benevolent warmonger :D

Well, um, how is this different from when each can vote for himself? It seems like the extra vote from the UN is the issue, rather than the 'cannot vote for oneself' issue.

Good point, it's not really a problem because you both vote for each other, same effect as if you voted for yourselves.

He has the bonus UN vote for himself but that would be the case in vanilla as well.

Does anyone know if you 'liberate' a Civ that was previously thrown out of the game from losing all its cities, will they always vote for you in the UN? I think that's the case, might be wrong though. If so, that's one way to make diplo victories a bit less cheap - play as a benevolent warmonger :D

I think so, but forget whether you need to liberate their capital, or resurrect the civ.

This topic is hilarious to me because I shot myself in the foot the other day by building the UN. I was allied with all the CS's on the map and thought it would be an easy win like it used to be. NOPE! The victory went to Korea because I didn't know I couldn't vote for myself, and I had more votes than my CS allies. Korea, who had spent the entire game denouncing me and was still in the industrial age. Well played, Korea. Well played indeed. :wallbash:

When liberating, you can liberate any city that used to be theirs. They will have a huge friendly bonus with you. Even if you are the one who also destroyed them, they will be around neutral.

I don't know if it is a guaranteed vote, but it is one less city state vote you need. I hate relying on city state votes. Freakin flip floppers.

When liberating, you can liberate any city that used to be theirs. They will have a huge friendly bonus with you. Even if you are the one who also destroyed them, they will be around neutral.

I don't know if it is a guaranteed vote, but it is one less city state vote you need. I hate relying on city state votes. Freakin flip floppers.

Actually, I'm not 100% sure this is true. I just fought a war with Monty. Harold took one of Monties cities. Then I eliminated Monty. Then Pachacuti took the city that Harold took. Then I took that city from Pachacuti. I was not given the option of liberating or reviving Monty.

I have liberated cities in the past and I expected to get the option. I wonder if someone knows the exact rules for liberation are.

Same happened with me. The year is 1995, we are 1 vs 1 with Montezuma, I have the upper hand tech-wise, I need 1 more policy to get the Utopia project, I am also cranking the SS parts... And here goes the UN voting, I can't vote for myself, so Monty beats me without breaking a sweat :D

I hope this bug is being addressed... Kinda disappointing to lose like this, but still, I had a blast playing through the game on normal difficulty. It was still a kind of a test run, so I don't terribly mind :)

There's really 3 pages about this? Everyone complained about how much the Diplomatic Victory sucked, and it did, since everyone voted for themselves and was selfish, except for City-States of course. Now, you can get other votes from other Civs even if you don't liberate them, but the tradeoff is that no one can vote for themselves, including yourself. The OP made the mistake of letting everyone else die off and letting Persia put together a coalition of votes for the Diplomatic Victory. Next time, don't let them secure so many votes. There doesn't need to be an abstain option, because the voting system for Civs is fine and everyone would just be best off abstaining obviously (City-States and their votes aren't fair, but that's a separate thread).

Isn't it funny how people complain that AI's won't be friends and are "crazy", "psychopath", but then for the UN suddenly AI's are enemies?

>_>

Actually, I'm not 100% sure this is true. I just fought a war with Monty. Harold took one of Monties cities. Then I eliminated Monty. Then Pachacuti took the city that Harold took. Then I took that city from Pachacuti. I was not given the option of liberating or reviving Monty.

I have liberated cities in the past and I expected to get the option. I wonder if someone knows the exact rules for liberation are.

Liberated City States MUST vote for the Liberator. (No mater the relationship)

Liberated Other Civs only give the Liberator a very strong Positive modifier giving a Higher possibility of a vote for the liberator.

This makes sense because imagine You (Player A) and and AI (Player B) Went to war with Player C, Player C loses all of their cities, some to player A and some to Player B. Player C is going to be pissed with both A and B. Then Player A goes to war with player B and takes one of Player C's original cities and liberates Player C. Don't you think Player C is still going to be pissed with Player A for helping wipe them out in the first place? Or if you were just generally a jerk to an AI player all game, liberating them may make them grateful but they aren't going to forget you were a jerk to them all game up to their demise.

I'm enjoying G&K quite a bit, but ran into an interesting situation with the diplomatic victory. My enemy Persia and I have wiped out all other nations, and he has built the UN. The UN vote comes up and it says I MUST vote, but the only person to vote for is Persia, which gives Persia the diplomatic victory.

I don't know if this is a bug, or what the logic behind this is? You aren't allowed to vote for yourself, but why vote for your enemy?

Until this is fixed, warning, always leave one weak (or even liberated) extra great power so you can vote for them.

I look forward to comments.

This isn't Civs I-IV - diplo victory isn't domination by other means, so you aren't supposed to wipe out everyone else if going for it... Persia was going for diplo victory, so built the UN and used it to win. I think that's how it's supposed to work...

Complaining about part of the condition seems a bit odd - rather like complaining that you'd have won space victory but the need for a cockpit prevented it...

Personally I liked the UN vote from Civ 4 the best, plus I was just used to it. Hardly ever played diplomatic victories in Civ 5, just war and science. I think the ability to abstain would be a nice addition. Diplo victory in vanilla was just silly, vote for self and then buy CS to free votes, done! Silly. :D

Top Bottom