UN: Must Vote for my Enemy

Jaqpike

Chieftain
I'm enjoying G&K quite a bit, but ran into an interesting situation with the diplomatic victory. My enemy Persia and I have wiped out all other nations, and he has built the UN. The UN vote comes up and it says I MUST vote, but the only person to vote for is Persia, which gives Persia the diplomatic victory.

I don't know if this is a bug, or what the logic behind this is? You aren't allowed to vote for yourself, but why vote for your enemy?

Until this is fixed, warning, always leave one weak (or even liberated) extra great power so you can vote for them.

I look forward to comments.

Is there no abstain option? I've seen unallied city-states abstain.

I really think once you get below say 4 civs left the diplo victory should be disabled

That makes sense, considering the lack of diplomacy all that war implies

no abstain button. And only Persia to vote for. Dang. Well second place in a King level game is pretty good for me, but I was so close!!

Is not Persia also not allowed to vote for itself?

Ah, he has the UN, which gives him a bonus vote.

Well, um, how is this different from when each can vote for himself? It seems like the extra vote from the UN is the issue, rather than the 'cannot vote for oneself' issue.

good question...I wondered that, too. If Persia can't vote for himself, then he would have to vote for me, using his bonus vote! Which would be weird.

Cs with. No allies abstain. Major civs must vote for someone who is now the them unless they build the un in which case they get one vote for themselves and one for another airline.

This rewards friendship with the AI and is reminiscent of Civilization 3. My only gripe is gold dumping still works, but now the runaway ai can do it too. :)

I think OP is actually in slightly better shape than in vanilla.

His opponent has to vote for him as well and his opponent built the UN and so has a double vote.

Please play out the rest of the vote and report back.

It's not a bug and it's not a problem, not the game's problem anyways. YOu can't vote for yourself, one of the by far best changes in the expansion IMO. It's entirely your fault that you let Persia build the UN, sorry, but you lost :)

I would like the Civ4 option: If my vote is not made for myself, i abstain. I abstain. I abstain.

This would also add value to diplomacy - The whole board would ABSTAIN if neither power earned positive favor.

I hate the broken system, but it isn't the WORST - i hate not being able to self-vote or abstain. When there is ONLY one person to vote for, ABSTAIN should be presented as an option.

You let persia win. If you can, load autosave some 30-40 turns back and take his capitol for domination win.

Diplo victory is so cheap. Domination, time, and cultral victories are the only legit victory, science if you REALLY have stiff competition.

I like the AI's be able to vote for who they want. I am nice in my game and people voted for me. Easy!

I would like the Civ4 option: If my vote is not made for myself, i abstain. I abstain. I abstain.

This would also add value to diplomacy - The whole board would ABSTAIN if neither power earned positive favor.

I hate the broken system, but it isn't the WORST - i hate not being able to self-vote or abstain. When there is ONLY one person to vote for, ABSTAIN should be presented as an option.
Broken is an overstatement. I actually kind of like it this way, now you have to take sides. I actually very rarely abstained in CIV. I usually voted for the leader I felt would do best at proposing UN resoltuions, vote for the ones I like, and vote against that leader when he/she tries to win. Come to think of it, I almost never abstained... But that's just me :)
Diplo victory is so cheap. Domination, time, and cultral victories are the only legit victory, science if you REALLY have stiff competition.

uuuh, no? Diplomatic victory is very much legit and was my second favourite VC in CIV after Science. Time victory on the other hand is cheap, and also impossible on anything higher than Prince, unless you prolong the game on purpose. Science Victory is very much achievable on anything but Deity, stiff competition or not. You just have to know how to build up your research wisely :mischief:

They really should make it so you have to have at least 3 major civs left specifically to avoid these scenarios. That's really interesting tho that all the major powers were out of the game yet the warfare hadn't removed enough civs to make diplo impossible.

They really should make it so you have to have at least 3 major civs left specifically to avoid these scenarios. That's really interesting tho that all the major powers were out of the game yet the warfare hadn't removed enough civs to make diplo impossible.
Who's they, it's his fault for running over everyone else :p It's called s-t-r-a-t-eg-i-c-a-l t-h-i-n-k-i-n-g [pimp]. Civ doesn't need any restrictions in that regard

Top Bottom