Un-Obsolete Buildings

Bigv32

Prince
I was getting sick of my wonders going obsolete, so I attempted to make it so they didn't. I am using BAT as a stand alone mod, so I did not alter anything in the custom assets. The only thing I changed was in the buildinginfo.xml file and I set the obsolete tech for the wonders to none.

Can anyone clarify why this did not work?

Thanks in advance.

Also, this could be considered a more important question. Is there a forum where modding questions are suppose to be placed? I looked under the mod forums but since I am not uploading a file, I did not know where to go.

Are you in the BTS custom assets or the Civ4 custom assets? Make sure you are editing the one in BTS custom assets.

Some buildings that are present in both bts and original Civ4 you have to mod the XML exactly. (With the exseption of bts attributes in Civ4 original XML folder) One thing I did that really pissed me off was last week I did some modding without backing up the XML and I lost a really cool save game where I was on a terra map and I had pumped out like 5 settlers on stand by before Astronomy. That was a real bummer.

I am not in the custom assets folder. I am in the mods folder and am editing the XML in that particular mods folders. From the way I understand it, the mods folder XML will be used.

Also, my custom assets folder is empty of any files. I found I have fewer conflicts this way.

Just post it (or get this moved) to the Civ4 Creation and Customization main thread. If you scroll past all of the links to the completed mods and various components, there will be a ton of questions, and a lot of people who know about this stuff will be able to help :D

Just post it (or get this moved) to the Civ4 Creation and Customization main thread.

Moderator Action: Thread moved.
In general, if you see that something might need moderator attention (like thread movements, renamings, fixing of polls, etc.), then notify the moderators via the "report post" button (the to the left of each post) to get it done.

Ontopic: Might be the cache, the Civ4 temporary memory, which saves files for faster loading. Which means that it might have been that your files just were not properly loaded, because the unmodified ones were still in the cache.
-> to "fix" that, hold down shift during loading, that should do it.

Changing the XML won't affect buildings that are already obsolete in a game that is in progress. It also may not affect any that are already built but not yet obsolete.

I was almost positive that if you alter the XML of entities that are already instanced in a game, that the savegame will not load properly unless you return the XML to the state it was at when the instances were created.

For savegame compatibility, altering an existing thing in XML is generally OK. It is changing the number of things of a type that is a problem. Modifying a building to give an extra 2 points of culture/turn should be OK, adding another building probably isn't.

Unless you are playing with Caveman 2 Cosmos. They added a new savegame format and processing that retains compatibility across a wider variety of changes.

Top Bottom