UN resolutions question.

TippedScale

Chieftain
Edit: New question on post 10.

So for the first time in any of my games, the UN has actually been built before someone won. I won the election, and for my first resolution I put forth Global Civic: Free Religion to try and put a halt to the Jewish super-friends who controlled half the world together.

The Resolution needed 479 Votes to pass, and it received 552, but for some reason it says it failed.

Whats up with that?

If any civ defies a resolution, then it automatically fails. Maybe a super-friend took one for the team?

@TippedScale
Just in case you wonder how defying works:

If someone defies a resolution which otherwise would have passed, the resolution fails and the defying civ gets a quite heavy unhappiness penalty in every city.

Ah, thanks guys that makes sense.

Yeah 3 civs defied it(none of them were jewish surprisingly), so I guess the world is still rooted in its old way. :rolleyes:

If you defy a UN resolution, you will get something like -8 happiness to all your cities and get the notice "The world considers you a villain."

Overall, the resolution was a success. You gave unhappiness problems to 3 of the Jewish Super-Friends without suffering diplo penalties or using units. If this continues you can do some damage to them.

Overall, the resolution was a success. You gave unhappiness problems to 3 other Civs without suffering diplo penalties or using units. If this continues you can do some damage to them.

If Judaism is that dominant, how many religions did you found? It's unusual that Buddhism or Hinduism isn't much of a factor and if an AI founds a religion it will often switch into that religion. I often try to avoid founding late religions so there's more opportunity for inter-AI hate.

Overall, the resolution was a success. You gave unhappiness problems to 3 other Civs without suffering diplo penalties or using units. If this continues you can do some damage to them.

If Judaism is that dominant, how many religions did you found? It's unusual that Buddhism or Hinduism isn't much of a factor and if an AI founds a religion it will often switch into that religion. I often try to avoid founding late religions so there's more opportunity for inter-AI hate.

It actually wasn't any of the jewish civs that defied, but rather the last remaining buddhists and confucions, weirdly.

Yeah, for most of the game it was a 3 way split between judaism, buddhism, and confucionism, but eventually two of the buddhists switched to free religion, and 1 each of buddhism and confucionism were almost entirely destroyed.

Its actually worth noting this is an "online" noble game with 10 Ai's, myself, and a friend of mine, and he's the one who founded judaism and the apostolic palace. He got screwed over trying to expand and lost an early war, so he spread his religion like mad in an effort to get the world to take out his aggressor. Hence judaism being practically the worlds religion.

On the subject of civs defying resolutions, is there anyway around this or some way to stop it or something?

Because at the moment there are two single city civs that are vassalized to an enemy and an ally, and they just defy every resolution.

If thats just how it is then the UN is completely broken, because as it stands a single city can cause every resolution to fail every time, without any relevant consequences.

On my last try I went for Global Civic - Free Speech, and every single civilization voted yes, aside from the 2 civs who total 2 cities defying it and causing it to fail.

Thats complete garbage.

Reload the save before the vote, they might do it differently the 2nd time around.

If thats just how it is then the UN is completely broken, because as it stands a single city can cause every resolution to fail every time, without any relevant consequences.

Sounds just like the real UN, doesn't it? :)

But defying resolutions has serious consequences, unless you actually have so many votes that you can block all resolutions. You need to look at the votes, would the resolution have passed if the defying civ just voted no?

Ha I was so confused by this at first! I was the vikings playing 1000 AD for BTS, and I defied a resolution (make peace with England) by the apostolic palace, and all my cities were mad. I thought it was because I was at war with so many people, so I made peace with everyone and it stopped (probably because one of the civs I made peace with was england).

Anyways, if the one-city civs keep defying, just take them out. It shouldn't have too serious of a consequence, unless they have made defensive pacts with larger civs...

I had problems like this in RFC, where I was head of the UN:

Me (USA): FREE RELIGION!!!!
Ragnar, Isabella, Kublai Khan, Suvayarman, Pacal II: NOOO!!!!!!
USA: FREE RELIGION!!!!!!
":NOOOO!!!!!!!!

Yeah anyways I did that till spain's cities in north america had like +15:mad: from that alone, and then attacked and destroyed them and pacal (who was Izzy's vassal) through all of north america after nuking each city and then bombing the heck out of each city :D it was fun for Izzy to get her just desserts :king:

OP said the two defying single city civs were both vassals of a major military power. You can't take them out without going to war with their master.

As to anyone defying causing the defeat a vote, think of it this way: All the civs are on the Security Council and have a veto. Although in the real UN, only the founding permanent members of the Security Council have the veto.

Thanks for the input guys, It looks like I'm just going to have to pick resolutions that actual powers will defy and hurt them with unhappiness, seeing as nothing is going to get done anyway.

Those are some obnoxiously realistic politics right there.

I actually rigged the election in the first place, buying my friend's 4th-largest-civ votes with a gift of Biology, so this feels a bit like karma.

Come to think of it,the AP and the UN can be active at the same time, do you get +10 unhappiness if you defy resolutions from both?

@nfw: A very bad situation.

Come to think of it,the AP and the UN can be active at the same time, do you get +10 unhappiness if you defy resolutions from both?

If that's a risk, see if you can trade Mass Media to whoever build the AP.

Top Bottom