1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Unable to handle boredom anymore

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by Magean, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Magean

Magean Prince

Hi,

I've returned to VP after a couple months, and I discovered boredom has become much, much worse a problem than it was.

I'm playing Rome, so I developed a strong capital with lots of culture by building as much stuff as possible there and it probably didn't help. Yet. I'm in mid-Renaissance and I've been in constant unhappiness for a while now, I don't care when it's above -5 but when it's structurally below that... it becomes a problem.

Most of it is due to boredom. I've been spreading guilds and trade routes (which yield culture thanks to Progress) as well as building Colosseums and circuses everywhere. Yet, too often the deficit is something along the line of 15 culture. So there's no way I can make make up for that; I can slightly alleviate it, at most.

Do other people struggle with boredom while they didn't before?

Thanks for your feedback.

2. Favorius

Favorius I am not a Chief!

I have not experienced anything different. What you see may happen due to your opponents who increase average yields. For example in one of my games I had Morocco and Venice as opponents and I was suffering from poverty more than before because of their insane gold yields. So you may probably have some culture heavy opponents.

3. LukaSlovenia29

LukaSlovenia29 Emperor

Magean, one thing to take into account is that in this version VP is tinkering with a new system of bonus yields for the AI, where the numbers haven't been calibrated yet. This might be part of the reason why you're seeing the boredom problem -> like Favorius said, other civs' cultural output influences your boredom. It's possible that all the extra bonuses the AI currently has transforms into the AIs having lots more culture, and subsequently you having more boredom. Throw in an AI Poland or Brazil and that's another potential source for your boredom.

So my advice is to either tinker with the bonus yields for the AI (something you can do by yourself -> it's been explained in the latest versions patches by Gazebo) or you can go back to one of the November 2017 versions from before the bonus yields changes, which are more stable.

4. Magean

Magean Prince

Aaahhh, so with Brazil, Polynesia and Poland in the game... that must be it :D It would have been even worse had I let Morocco grow.

5. Noob Fanboy

Noob Fanboy Warlord

I think the culture bonus from trade routers count for culture happiness, you can make a trade route from the cities with more boredom to that poland ahead in 6 policies, the trade route can give you a lot of raw yields (i have seen +50 culture from trade routes in renaissance with Poland) solving your problem.

6. Gokudo01

Gokudo01 Emperor

if you are sunking into unhappiness, specially boredom and poverty, you need first to get your trade route setup nice and right. Then try to improve your infrastructure.

7. CrabHelmet

CrabHelmet King

Bonus yields won't effect anything because they're a one-time pay-off and not an actual yield income.

8. Moi Magnus

Moi Magnus Emperor

If it is a LONG time since you didn't played VP, unhappiness was rebalanced in order to make poverty and crime less important. Before, boredom and illiteracy were mostly irrelevant, now, they are a little more important.

tu_79 likes this.
  9. LukaSlovenia29

LukaSlovenia29 Emperor

CrabHelmet, they all make the AI stronger, which all means more culture, more production (= more buildings -> more culture,...), more gold (more investing in buildings,...), more science (faster unlocking of new buildings etc.).

10. CrabHelmet

CrabHelmet King

Oh, sure, in that sense. I thought you meant that the bonus yields was directly calculated into the culture-per-citizen output of cities, which determines the Boredom thresholds; which it isn't.

11. LukaSlovenia29

LukaSlovenia29 Emperor

No, I didn't, but reading back on what I wrote I understand how it might have been interpreted in such a way. So thanks for bringing it up so we could make it clear for Magean.